Do you lend decks?

Laura Borealis

:)

But did ya get your panties back? ;)

I did! She washed 'em too :)

I have given away a couple of decks that I kind of wish I had back (Tarot of the Spirit and the Courtney Davis Celtic tarot). One because I miss it, and the other because I suspect the recipient has never used it.

BodhiSeed

I've found that lending friends or family members decks is a lot like lending them money - I rarely get either back. :D So I might give a deck to someone, but there is no expectation of it coming back.

nisaba

So today a friend of mine that wants to start learning Tarot came to me and asked if she could borrow one of my decks to start studying and practising until she can get her own first deck.

My answer was basically that in my opinion, you don't lend decks. You can buy and offer someone a deck. You can give a deck you don't use to someone when you think that person will cherish it more than you, or that it will be more useful to him/her than it is to you. Your deck is a very personal thing, and should not be wandering around in the hands of others unless it's a permanent thing. Lending a deck does not make much sense to me.

However, this got me wondering what other readers think about the idea, because it's a completely subjective and personal subject. So do you guys lend your decks, ever? Do you feel like me about someone borrowing your deck? Or, on the contrary, do you think it's perfectly fine to do so? :)
Look, if you feel bad about lending decks, don't lend them.

I've lent decks.

Usually to only one person, and for a strictly limited time (for instance I lent him both a science deck and a cat deck when he entered science and cat exchange circles here, to be returned when he'd finished the readings).

I'm selfish and I'm untrusting - I probably don't lend decks as often as I otherwise would because I'm afraid that the recipient might steal them, that is, not return them.

I lend decks more willingly than I lend cars.

astraltraveler

I was never really for lending decks either...nobody's asked me, but if they did I'd probably just give them one I no longer use and tell them to keep it, or help them get one they like. I think decks are the same as ritual tools - I have a connection with them and it would feel strange to let someone borrow any of them.

PeterSeph

I was never really for lending decks either...nobody's asked me, but if they did I'd probably just give them one I no longer use and tell them to keep it, or help them get one they like. I think decks are the same as ritual tools - I have a connection with them and it would feel strange to let someone borrow any of them.

This.

Exactly how I feel :)

Cocobird55

I would not lend a deck. If a close friend of mine wanted to borrow it, I would say no and then buy them a copy.

Tanga

LEND???

That's like asking me to lend you my favourite Jewellery (personally magickally charged, sweated and saved-up-for favourite Jewellery).

Yewwww - No way!

I recently found 2 Thoth decks and one larger than 'Tarot Size' RWS for £5 each at the market up the hill. I was quite amazed.

Padma

I was never really for lending decks either...nobody's asked me, but if they did I'd probably just give them one I no longer use and tell them to keep it

I have done this a few times. :) Cleans the shelves of decks I don't connect with. I never give anything collectible, though, and I never lend decks that I use and love!

jolie_amethyst

Hmmm...
I think for me, it would depend on the deck and who was asking. I have a few that I'd lend to a good friend without question; they're easily enough replaced that it would matter less if it never made its way back to me. The Tyldwick, on the other hand...no. That one I've bonded with. And probably not Shadowscapes either; while it's cheap enough to replace and still in print, it's my primary deck and I'm a bit attached to it emotionally.

But I'm also not one who worries about other people handling my decks (yes, even Tyldwick). Most of them were used when they reached me, and I don't cleanse them in any way. When all is said and done, they're tools, and I wouldn't hesitate to lend a quality hammer to someone I trusted, so why should I fuss over a deck of cards?