trying to control my deck buying

faunabay

lark said:
I've slowed way down on deck buying to, but I get that panicky feeling when I read posts about a new deck that's just out and everyone is talking about it. Am I missing "the one"....or another "the one" (because I already have a few I consider my favorites,) if I don't get this deck????
This is it exactly with me. I get that "what if I'm missing something great!" feeling. When you get right down to it, it's not like I don't have great decks now though.
lark said:
I'm one of those weird kind of people that only keeps what I use...if I'm not using it in some way it bothers me like an itch or a sliver...I know it's there just sitting there with no purpose, gathering dust and I can't rest until it's gone and order is restored once again in larky land.
Again this is me. I don't like to have something I don't actually use. Now I don't have to use it all the time. I had a deck for 3 years or so that I only used for a 6 month reading. I didn't use it for anything else. It worked great every 6 months but set on the shelf for the rest of the time. That was fine with me because it still had it's use. Once I started to do away with the 6 month reading I finally passed on the deck to someone who'd use it again.
lark said:
I wish I knew what the answer is...I guess for myself in thinking about this I decided I'm going to forgo any quick deck buying decisions...if it's new it'll be around for awhile, I can wait. :)
I want to see a good portion of the deck before I buy.
And I'm going to trust my gut...my intuition... and let it lead me to what's right for me.
It's never failed me before..I wish I would have listened to it screaming NOOOOOOOOO!!!! when I walked to the counter to buy the Mystic Faieries...
Maybe the Graven Image was one of those intuition, hit you in the gut, decks and that is why it's working so well for you.
I think my biggest hurdle is sometimes I can't tell for sure whether I'll connect with a deck until I can physically flip through it. Sometimes I have to actually have it in my hands. There are some decks I've been curious about that have stayed in my mind for years but once I get my hands on them I can instantly say "nope, not for me". For example the Tarot of the Trance. Sorry for people who liked it but.....Ick!! For some reason that deck kind of haunted me until I could see it in person. Now I'm completely done with it.
I'm afraid I'm doing that with the Vanessa now. I'm really not sure whether it would work for me or not, but it's still in the back of my mind after many, many months. I'm curious about it! Anyone want to send me their's so I can see if I'd like it or not? ROFL I'll send it back. I promise!!! ROFLMAO! I'm only teasing, noone has to do that. :D

faunabay

.traveller. said:
The train is great, just don't fall into the trap of buying for the train... that can get messy.
See I haven't even done a train yet and was already thinking that. I nipped that in the bud real quick, but it did enter my mind. "Hey I could buy that for the trade train!" (wince)

The funny thing is I'm NOT a collector type person. I go through my clothes at least once a year and anything I'm not wearing goes. I dont' like to keep too many clutter, nicknacky things. etc!! But tarot and oracle seems to be my downfall. Maybe that's why it's bothering me so much. Because I don't collect things.

raventepes

Eh...I really don't bother trying to control my deck buying.

In your case for the attempt of controlling your deck buying, my mentality is more for me :D

6 Haunted Days

Control? What's that?!

Wasn't that an 80's Janet Jackson song?

When I was 17
I did what people told me, uh
I did what my father said
And let my mother mold me
But that was long ago

I’m in control
Never gonna stop
Control
To get what I want

Come on, sing it!

That wasn't very helpful was it? Love ya! })

WalesWoman

The best part of buying a deck is the anticipation I think, sort of like waiting for Christmas and imagining what wonderful goodies the packages might contain... and then opening and discovering a battery operated can opener that doesn't work as well as your old hand cranky one or something equally blah.

I have only bought a couple decks that I really connected with, most of my decks have been acquired either as gifts or in trades, and honestly... I should have just stuck with the ones I had instead of trading for decks I thought I had to have and then have never been able to read with them.

Sometimes decks are revelational and revolutionary, but most of the time, it's just the same old deck with a face lift and new clothes. I don't want to be a collector, but I do enjoy having different decks that tend to work better for some things than others.

Three of my favorite, most reliable decks were given to me, two of my favorites I bought when I first started reading tarot... so this makes be think the reason of the superstition that decks should be given is... so far those have been the best ones and don't make you feel badly for spending money on decks that could be better spent on... groceries, bills, new shoes for the kids and things like that.

I don't have that many decks compared to some people, but too many to be able to remember what is on my shelf without looking at my list or going through them. So I have decided that is enough... until one I've been lusting for for 3 years ever gets published. OH darn, last time I said I had too many decks and was content... somehow I managed to acquire about 10 or 15 more in a few short months and wasn't even trying.

Debra

Stay away from the "what are you awaiting in the mail?" thread. It encourages competition and compulsive buying--like if you're not expecting something in the mail, no one loves you :(

WalesWoman

:D You mean if I say... I'm not waiting for a thing, someone will think I ought to be?

Debra

Sort of like hearing that your school friends all get candy.....and you don't.

"Oh look, everyone else is getting great stuff in the mail. Why aren't I getting great stuff in the mail? I WANT SOMETHING GREAT IN THE MAIL!"

Then zip over to e-bay or amazon.com or TarotGarden and your credit card number is already there, it's so easy and thoughtless....

WalesWoman

I have found the best way to not buy decks is to remain completely ignorant about all the new ones and to stay out of the Tarots for Trade threads... sometimes I get bored or curious, come in here to have a look see and then have to de-enable myself or de-enable my credit card cookies immediately. Oh, and never, never goof off at ebay or I find something... then I have to back away from the computer and give myself a stern talking to... No impulse buying!

:D

firefrost

If there's an absolute 'must have', I find a way to buy it. Luckily I'm not a collector so I don't have that many and selling and trading help a lot.

Plus the fact that I'm only on part time wages with a 16 year old who wouldn't have enough clothes and money even if she had a £500 per week allowance...:(