trying to control my deck buying

lark

faunabay said:
I think my biggest hurdle is sometimes I can't tell for sure whether I'll connect with a deck until I can physically flip through it. Sometimes I have to actually have it in my hands. There are some decks I've been curious about that have stayed in my mind for years but once I get my hands on them I can instantly say "nope, not for me". For example the Tarot of the Trance. Sorry for people who liked it but.....Ick!! For some reason that deck kind of haunted me until I could see it in person. Now I'm completely done with it.
This is exactly how it is for me too...if I can physically hold it in my hands and go through it I know instantly if I will use it or not. For months I wanted the Maat and then a girlfriend bought it and came over for coffee with it. I knew after the first ten minutes that I would never use it and it could come off the wish list...and I haven't thought about it since. Desire... poof... gone just like that!

faunabay said:
I'm afraid I'm doing that with the Vanessa now. I'm really not sure whether it would work for me or not, but it's still in the back of my mind after many, many months. I'm curious about it! Anyone want to send me their's so I can see if I'd like it or not? ROFL I'll send it back. I promise!!! ROFLMAO! I'm only teasing, noone has to do that. :D
Hey, I have the Vanessa, pm me your address and it's yours...if you don't like it you can send it back.

faunabay

VGimlet said:
I am trying to control mine too. I didn't buy many decks in 2005 or 2006, (17 total) but last year I played catch up.
I did that too!! I moved in 2006 and that caused my cash flow to be very low for a long time. I hadn't been able to buy almost anything for about a year! Gasp!! So like you I had to play catch up! :D Now though the backlash for all that buying is getting to me I think.

lark said:
This is exactly how it is for me too...if I can physically hold it in my hands and go through it I know instantly if I will use it or not. For months I wanted the Maat and then a girlfriend bought it and came over for coffee with it. I knew after the first ten minutes that I would never use it and it could come off the wish list...and I haven't thought about it since. Desire... poof... gone just like that!
Hey, I have the Vanessa, pm me your address and it's yours...if you don't like it you can send it back.
Jewel and I do this all the time. We send decks to each other to "try out"!! LOL We've talked each other INTO buying decks but also kept each other from buying decks too!! She sent me the Blue Moon to try out and I instantly knew I wouldn't use it at all. So no more curiousity and no more desire. Now she also sent me the Fantastic Menagerie because I wasn't sure about that one. And I decided I had to have it!! So it works both ways.
As for the Vanessa....if you don't mind I will take you up on your offer to check it out. And the same to you if I have any you're curious about. :*

faunabay

I think I'm going to go through my collection and take a serious look at what I have. What I actually use. And what I truely might like to keep.

I had said I wasn't a collector, but realized I do like to collect one thing. The Magic Realist Press decks. :) There are a few I don't really use, but those would be kind of hard for me to let go of and I might find myself buying them back. (shrug)

What do you all think about decks that you might not use for actual readings, but you do like the artwork and do take them out now and again to oh and ah over? Is that considering using? })

edited to add:
I just went and counted and I have 54!!!! decks not 30. The number snuck up on me. hehehehe The interesting thing is I only have 20 tarot decks but 34!! oracle decks. Can you tell I've been on an oracle spree!!??

hmmm....that is just too many for me. So everyone keep an eye on the trading section. I might go crazy one of these days. :) I definitely will be going on the trade trains too though. Those just sound like so much fun!

WalesWoman

firefrost said:
I...err...umm...Just got my latest 'must have' five minutes ago - the Russian Gypsy Fortune Telling Cards...

*Clears throat and shuffles off, guiltily looking at the floor...*
Oh man! And someone reminded me of Lemony Snickets Misfortune Telling cards.... now I want both! Just because of the titles... argh!

Back away from the computer now and go forth, shovel snow! (other wise I'll never get to work and buying decks would not be a problem, I won't have any $)

bershka

Before joining this forum, I was really happy with one deck: Universal Waite

Ever since I've been coming here regularly, y'all got me addicted to tarot decks and have tempted me to buy 6 additional tarot decks and 4 additional oracle decks.

I just ordered my Victorian Romantic tarot a minute ago.

Seriously, what kind of stuff are all of you taking? :D

Le Fanu

how times change...

I think all of this has worsened with the net (or bettered, depending on your viewpoint).I started collecting tarot cards early 80s and have bought decks on and off since then. What amazes me now is how you can see most decks on the internet which is good as (a) you know if it really is to your taste or not, but (b) you can have decks inches from your face on the pc screen at any time of the day, in all their glory and "buy me"-ness. And go back every day, call up the page and drool...

When I first started buying, if it wasnt in Kaplan´s encyclopedia, it was a gamble. I bought many decks, like Balbi and Royal Morroccan Fez, without ever having seen them (ie before discovering even Kaplan´s Encyclopedia!). I would see a cellophane wrapped box in the bookshop and take a risk with my pocket money (I was 14 or so) and sometimes, I´d get home and be sorely dissappointed.

Nowadays, I pore over decks on the net, buy only those which I know are really up my street, and am dissappointed less. No more impulse buys in shops. But there are so many more to buy over the internet...

MareSaturni

I've stopped...because suddenly (OMG!) my collection seems...good enough...for me? I know, there are still abunch of deck i'd LOVE to own, like the Vanessa or the Victorian Romantic but...one day i had to look in the mirror and tell myself: you DO NOT have money. You are a STUDENT. You live with your MOTHER, you don't pay the BILLS. So stop buying decks, assume, you are poor. And you don't have room left!

So i had to assume i don't have money to spend with decks. Now i feel ashamed when i buy a deck i know i won't use...because i'm using a money that isn't really mine. (it's mine, but i feel like i'm using it in a selfish way). Maybe when i'm completely independant, then i'll buy anything i want and that's my business only. But for now...well...only if it's a deck i really wish, an opportunity i can't miss etc.

AND trading and exchanges have really made everything better. I'm able to pass along decks that i don't use to people who might enjoy them, and i have been getting decks that i never knew that existed but i end up falling in love with (like The Wisdom Well).
Trade trains are also great - get a new deck, but your collection doesn't gain weight - a win-win situation!

I think this kind of control is really something rational. You decide, you suffer because there's thi deck and that deck and they all seem so nice, but after a while, you'll feel better than if you had indulged yourself. Been there ;)

~Marina

baba-prague

Oh sigh. I have finally more or less got this under control (er, well, there is a very interesting looking old Marias set on auction here, but I mean, that doesn't count, does it?) But I haven't got making decks controlled at all. I really decided that the Bohemian Gothic was the last tarot we'd make ourselves and I mean it. But now I have an idea and I want to do it, but I know that when I'm sitting working on it until two in the morning for weeks on end I'll hate myself - so I mustn't. Perhaps we need a de-enabling thread in Deck Creation? })

Maybe my compulsive deck buying phase wasn't so bad after all.

Mariana

miss_yuko said:
I've stopped...because suddenly (OMG!) my collection seems...good enough...for me?
Same here. Not because I don't have the money, but because I've realised I have all the decks I need and definitely enough decks to last me for a long time if I want to study all of them seriously. There are quite a few decks in my collection that I would love to spend time with to get to know them more deeply, but I never seem to have enough time even for the decks I already own. And I do feel I have all the decks that I'm really attracted to. Most other decks I see out there seem more shallow, no matter how pretty they might be. I've been buying and trading quite a few decks in the past year, getting to know what kind of decks work for me, and now I feel that I have all the decks I need. I'm really happy with my collection. All I need now, is... more time...

Debra

I've been called a "de-enabling queen" and yet I just bought another deck yesterday.

It was on my wish list. It was inexpensive.

Oh well.