Jodo-Camoin or CBD: Which do you prefer?

feynrir

Hi all :)

I am turning once again toward unillustrated pips, and just out of curiosity, I'm wondering which of these very clean Marseille decks you guys prefer:

The Jodorowsky-Camoin Tarot de Marseille, or the CBD Tarot de Marseille?

I'll leave my opinions out of this for now, because I'm really curious to hear your response. Although obviously the CBD is more nuanced and historical, I'm surprised to find that the Jodo-Camoin definitely has its own strengths reading-wise. Thank you.

3ill.yazi

I own neither, instead having gone for the Noblet.

I like the look of the Jodo, but some people don't like the esoteric additions he made to the deck, which offend TdM purists.

I really like the cbd, though my one quibble is that the faces were all made to look cheerful. I prefer the ambiguous or dour looks of the originals. But otherwise a superior looking deck.

Yves Le Marseillais

Bonjour à tous,

Yoav tried to improve Conver deck but his way is not mine.

Camoin Jodo is now dated and can't perform with present solutions and technology.

So, hard to choose but Yoav is above Camoin Jodo deck for many reasons.

Cordialy,

Yves

Emily

I only have the CBD on the app but I do prefer it over the Jodo-Camoin. I think there is too much added symbolism in the Jodo that isn't present in other TdM's and so could confuse new readers. I like the colouring of the Jodo-Camoin and it shuffles nicely but I still prefer the CBD. It looks nice on the app but I've got the deck on the wishlist. :)

conversus

If these are the two options, then the CBD is the one that I would choose. I was attracted by the Jodo-Camoin when it first came out, and I still have two copies, but there is just a bit too much.

The CBD is a very good experience--and it has a perfectly approachable book available!!!

Richard

Hi all :)

I am turning once again toward unillustrated pips, and just out of curiosity, I'm wondering which of these very clean Marseille decks you guys prefer:

The Jodorowsky-Camoin Tarot de Marseille, or the CBD Tarot de Marseille?......

Just curious, so no need to answer if you don't want to. Why those two decks in particular? There exist other "clean" restorations.

By the way, Yoav created the CBD specifically to illustrate his book: Tarot - The Open Reading. He is a former student of Jodo.

conversus

Richard, thanks again for reminding me of the Jodo connection with the CBD. Do you find it particularly significant in the design of the images or in the book? I know that there is another junior-sized deck which does not have your approval.