Tarot Books

PamG

Hello all,

I am new to the community and fairly new to tarot. My journey began when I was hospitalized due to a breakdown. A very close friend bought me the Jean Noblet Tarot pack. She accidentally picked up the French and not the translated version, so it took me a while to figure out the Major Arcana cards. Now I have gotten the hang of it and used it as a guide of sorts from time to time.

I am in a completely new phase of my life. I get tarot readings from a wonderful guy but I would still like to learn a little more on my own. Can someone suggest books that can help? I'd like to learn beyond the Major Aracanas.

Thank you so much.

Nick.

Rachel Pollack seems awesome. 78 Degrees of wisdom.

Hemera

Hello PamG and welcome to AT :)
My favourite is Joan Bunning. I still refer back to her books from time to time. I have three of her books. (I´m not sure if she has published any more than those three)

PamG

Thank you so much for the tips Nick and Hemera. I am still trying to get a hang of the site. So will check out the books section.

Changingsky2

Mary K. Greer "Tarot for Yourself", she also has a blog https://marygreer.wordpress.com/ and is very learned on the history of tarot.
Rachel Pollack is also great "78 Degrees of Wisdom" and a very engaging speaker.

I did a weekend seminar with both these women together. It was great. They have different styles but a nice synergy together. Mary is perhaps more structured. She appeared more literal on card meanings and less so spread workings. Rachel was more structured on spread workings and less literal on card interpretation. It was a great experience and something for everyone.

avalonian

As the deck you have is the Jean Noblet, maybe you might like to check out Tarot - The Open Reading by Yoav Ben-Dov as it is "Marseilles" based. I feel it might be more helpful with the Noblet than a book which is more geared towards Rider Waite style decks.
:) :) :)

rwcarter

Welcome to Aeclectic, PamG!

Check out the Marseilles section of the TB&M Index.

Rodney

Le Fanu

The Pollock and Greer books are largely RWS-based which, while great, won't really hold your hand to bring out the richness of the deck you have.

With the Jean Noblet deck that you have, I'd go with Camelia Elias' book The Marseilles Tarot: Towards the Art of Reading. That deck and that book go together beautifully. Plus, the one mentioned by avalonian.

jema

With the Jean Noblet deck that you have, I'd go with Camelia Elias' book The Marseilles Tarot: Towards the Art of Reading.

Ah yes! That books is just great, more then anything it makes you want to actually do readings, to experiment more, to read for strangers, to just look at stories in the cards.

Citrin

With the Jean Noblet deck that you have, I'd go with Camelia Elias' book The Marseilles Tarot: Towards the Art of Reading. That deck and that book go together beautifully. Plus, the one mentioned by avalonian.

I agree with this suggestion, I also have the Noblet, and this book and they're wonderful. :)

I've heard great things about The Open Reading by Yoav Ben-Dov, it's on my wishlist to expand a little more on the Tarot de Marseille. :)