Devil's hand is reverse of Hierophant's, what are your thoughts?

Zephyros

I mean in the sense that he can represent the figure of the teacher who allows you to break until you get it right. He isn't the instrument of action, merely the teacher who shows you the way. Descending down to the "fourness" of Chesed, this would seem to be so.

It just depends so much on application, so I apologize if I'm incoherent at times. Sometimes the Hierophant is one thing in a certain application, while he can be another in a different one. Sometimes his Taurus is obstinate and hard-working, while at other times his feminine Venusian figure comes to the forefront.

Desecrated

Right hand path - white magic
Left hand path - Black magic.

ravenest

Der Morgenstern / Der Abendstern

I didn't know you were into channeling. :rolleyes:

Russell and Whitehead essentially showed that all of mathematics could be deduced from Frege's axioms. However, I think it was Goedel who proved that an axiom system which could do that is inconsistent. I.e., every statement imaginable is true in such a system.

Hence, according to Frege, Jesus is Lucifer, and pigs can fly.

Actually, in mystical Christianity, Jesus was a bringer of light. Nothing too weird about that.

He used the old Venusian double up as a subject for one of his 'little forays' ;

Venus Morning Star was Lucifer , yet at the same 'time' or later in the day Venus as the Evening Star , used to be known as Hesperus - half brother of Phosphorus or Eosphorus - the Morning Star - by Eos / Aurora (dawn) .

Frege used the terms der morgenstern and der abendstern (morning and evening star ) as an illustration to highlight the distinction he was making between sense and reference . Later the terms of the illustration were changed to ' "Hesperus is Phosphorus" and became ' Frege's Puzzle' .

The Babylonians realised it was one planet in morning and evening but the Greeks didn't, until they learnt it was the same planet from the Babylonians .

" Lashed to the helm, all stiff and stark,
With his face turned to the skies,
The lantern gleamed through the gleaming snow
On his fixed and glassy eyes.

Then the maiden clasped her hands and prayed
That savèd she might be;
And she thought of Christ, who stilled the wave
On the Lake of Galilee.

At daybreak, on the bleak sea-beach,
A fisherman stood aghast,
To see the form of a maiden fair,
Lashed close to a drifting mast.

The salt sea was frozen on her breast,
The salt tears in her eyes;
And he saw her hair, like the brown sea-weed,
On the billows fall and rise.

Such was the wreck of the Hesperus,
In the midnight and the snow!
Christ save us all from a death like this,
On the reef of Norman's Woe! "

(See , I can even channel Longfellow ;) )

ravenest

Going beyond this Devil's hand ... the overall posture of the arms looks a little like 'Set fighting' - the sign of earth ... the palm print looks a little like the sign for Saturn and a cross - both symbols of earth.

If the hand up is a sign of blessing and a shin representing fire, the other hand holds fire as well, but of a more physical type.

ravenest

Right hand path - white magic
Left hand path - Black magic.

" He rideth upon the chariot of eternity; the white and the black are harnessed to his car. Therefore he reflecteth the Fool, and the sevenfold veil is reveiled. "

JoyousGirl

I haven't read through all the pages, so sorry if I'm duplicating or not addressing what's being asked. To me the comparison between the devil and heirophant's hand is that the devil has his hand wide open, revealing all the traits he possesses (palmistry-wise). His head line is cut off abruptly at the end (referring to mental issues, sometimes insanity). His mount of venus is chunky and shows his voracious sensual appetite. His thumb is short, showing a certain lack of mental refinement and coarseness. His Jupiter and Saturn are about the same length - Saturn can be melancholy and dark - a hard taskmaster - Jupiter can be control freak or excess (talking extremes, of course). Lines cross his life line along his mount of venus to interfere with his head line in the early stages (markings on a headline refer to afflictions or accidents to the head or its processes). The gap between the Saturn and Apollo fingers means something too - but I forget (Apollo's pretty creative, easygoing and relaxed and Saturn's the opposite so maybe something to do with that). These are all on display for people who are aware of what the markings mean. The Heirophant has his attributes guarded, he does not openly display his flaws or is more genteel, for lack of a better word at this time, in his expression. Sort of like social conventions of the old days where it was not acceptable to express certain ideas, speak certain words or behave certain ways in public (or at all in fact). That's my 2 bobs worth.

ETA Now I see it could be a combined heart/headline in the devil, meaning animal instincts. The Heirophant's Apollo (creative expression) and Mercury (communication) fingers are bent over in the sign of whatever it is, but they cover the heart line a bit, too, which could probably mean that the overt expression of feelings is guarded - under control. A slender analytical Saturn finger (all fingers long and straight), not overly chunky mount of venus, long thumb probably revealing balanced will and logic.

Abrac

I'm thinking it's not so much the fact the he's revealing all, but he's probably revealing things he's not authorized to reveal, as in the case of a broken oath of secrecy. Or he might be doing it strictly from selfish motives, i.e., using spiritual things for self-aggrandizement and profit. An oath of secrecy removes this temptation by placing the focus on service rather than the selling of knowledge, as long as a person can resit the temptation to break their oath. :laugh:

Aeon418

I'm thinking it's not so much the fact the he's revealing all, but he's probably revealing things he's not authorized to reveal, as in the case of a broken oath of secrecy.
I think he is revealing all, but he's doing it via a kind of con trick or sleight of hand. "Pay attention to my distractingly open and honest looking right hand while I perform a bit of legerdemain with my left."

And what is revealed? Saturn! Material existence. "What your senses perceive is all that there is. There is nothing more than this."

This is why you can't pass the Devil on the way to Tiphareth from Hod. The mind and body are "in chains" to the senses. The intellect alone can't gain entrance to Tiphareth. The Devil is an imaginary phantasm generated by the mind that is incapable of handling the truth of Tiphareth.

Desecrated

The magician also does a similar hand position.

Basically it's a reference to the hermetic principle of "as above, so below" , "as without, so within".