Gorey Fantod deck!

Chronata

I just adore Edward Gorey's illustrations!

I had wanted this thing for absolute ages! I once bid on an e-bay auction...for a huge sum...and lost!

But now it's available really cheap!
(www.goreydetails.net)

It came in the mail yesterday...and I am so tickled by it! What a delightful deck!

I had no idea the book would be so much fun! There is a little biography of Madame Groeda Weyrd, and how she became persona no grata because of her "fearless predictions of disaster"!

The reading method is a hoot too...just fling the pack around the room with your eyes closed, and then pick up five random cards!

The meanings for each card are a litany of horrible diseases and accidents that you might get!

I am sure I will end up reading these with my own meanings, of course...but it's a really treat to finally get this cool and "tragic" little deck!

Gayla

I wish there were more images of the cards....looks interesting.

Debra

GAYLA! These are not for the faint-hearted. (They're also not tarot cards, so don't get confused on that.) Titles include The Effigy, The Insects, The Limb, The Urn, The Bundle, The Sea, The Burning Head.....oh oh oh it is all just too AWFUL.

Seriously, these are a real hoot. Forget the Halloween costume. Use last year's Halloween costume. THIS is a Halloween treat!

lunakasha

I just received my FANTOD in the mail yesterday.....it is true, they are horrific and seasoned with just the right touch of dark humor. VERY dark....like the Black Doll herself. :eek: ~hideous!~

Chronata is so right about the booklet....it is HILARIOUS and twisted at the same time! Some of these images are truly frightening, but they look like Disney characters in comparison with the contents of the booklet. These are some of the strangest, most disturbing meanings ever to accompany a deck.

For example, listed under The Feather:

November
blackmail
a forged passport
hysterical pregnancy
loss of eyelashes
disorders of the small intestine
a disagreeable letter
delirium
hindrance to prospects
twitching
separation
imbroglios
a mistake

Or the meaning listed for the Black Doll:

In the words of the old rhyme:
What most you fear
Is coming near.

I agree with Chronata....it might be a good idea to come up with some alternative, less ghastly interpretations....but these are FUN! })

I am a little afraid of throwing them around, however.....:laugh:

:) Luna

PS~ Here you can view all of the cards and their meanings:

http://www.phobos-deimos.com/Edward_Gorey/The_Fantod_Deck/Deck/The Whole Deck.htm

Tarotphelia

Do not dismiss the divinatory power of the Fantod Pack !
Years ago while I was investigating the online oracle version of it ( at peach something or other , before it was removed - there is another now though.. ) I was pondering the Black Doll card that came up for me . Shortly my daughter returned home and handed me a bag containing.. a black doll .

rachelcat

Dark Inquisitor said:
Do not dismiss the divinatory power of the Fantod Pack !
Years ago while I was investigating the online oracle version of it ( at peach something or other , before it was removed - there is another now though.. ) I was pondering the Black Doll card that came up for me . Shortly my daughter returned home and handed me a bag containing.. a black doll .

Ooooo, spoooooky . . . . .

Ok, this is now on my must-have list. Thanks for the links. (The diseases are truly horrible! Delicious!!!)

WolfSpirit

Ooooh horrible ! Scary ! Fun :D
Thanks for telling us Chronata.

BodhiSeed

Just got this deck to go with the Halloween Tarot for a gift. Since I did want it to be usable as an oracle deck, and didn't want the meanings to be ALL doom and gloom, I decided to come up with some meanings of my own:

1. The Ancestor: wisdom, inherited beliefs and behaviors, family, history, traditions.

2. The Black Doll: learning through imitation, play, pretend, imagination, childhood.

3. The Blue Dog: guide, loyalty, companion, protection, "tracking" one's intention or objective.

4. The Bottle: sending a message, receptive, accommodating, containment, adapt or conform to one’s surroundings.

5. The Bundle: something hidden, a collection, a mystery, a heavy burden, tying up loose ends.

6. The Burning Head: inspiration, passion, look before you leap, think before reacting, need for self-control.

7. The Child: wonder and curiosity, compassionate, open-minded, staying in the present moment.

8. The Ecorche: strength and power, health, taking action, movement, energy.

9. The Effigy: make fun of, judge harshly, prejudice, controversy, discord.

10. The Feather: truth, freedom, spirit, instinctual knowledge, shamanic wisdom.

11. The Insects: irritations, bothersome person, restlessness, minor inconveniences, impatience.

12. The Ladder: ambition, helpful person or situation, necessary steps to take, need for stability, reaching a goal.

13. The Limb: part of a whole, interconnection, ripple effect of one’s actions, cooperation, teamwork.

14. The Plant: growth, rooted in reality, reaching out, flexibility, need for a healthy environment.

15. The Sea: dreams, the unconscious, emotions, cycles, ebb and flow of life.

16. The Stones: stability and security, stillness, peacefulness, detachment, watchfulness.

17. The Tunnel: worrying about the future, facing your fear, exploring the unknown, expectations, projections.

18. The Urn: sacred object, memories, beginnings and endings, honor, trying to hold onto the past.

19. The Waltzing Mouse: happiness, contentment, expressing joy, simplicity, feeling of abundance and gratitude.

20. The Yellow Bird: the All/the Divine, messenger, spiritual advice and guidance, good omen, clarity.

I'd love to know if anyone else gave their own meanings to these cards too!
Bodhran

thorhammer

Bodhran, these are wonderful! I'll be making the most of them when I get mine in the mail soon (I hope). And I'll probably do the same, with my own meanings. But it is a deliciously disturbing set of images . . . })

\m/ Kat

BodhiSeed

Thanks Thorhammer! I do LOVE Gorey's illustrations! Actually I have you to thank for steering me to these great cards (had to get a copy for myself too, but hey, at $10 it's a steal :D). I didn't know these cards existed until you posted about them and suggested pairing them with the Halloween (I must have totally missed Chronata's earlier post about them).
Can't wait to get them in my hands - should be here very soon though!

Bodhran