Trimmed Borders/Altered Decks Index

rylla

I did it, and quickly found out that I couldn't tell one card from the other, especially the majors.

I couldn't tell either; for years I developed my abbreviations like: Page of Swords = Px so on. I wrote them on the right corner of the cards. This could seem bothersome for some; personally I prefer it versus leaving a white border with the title. Question of taste; for me this was the better choice between two ones of which neither one I found quite satisfying.

Calcifer

I'm really looking forward to seeing a trimmed Wild Unknown. I've been getting peeling corners on my most used deck and have thought very seriously about trimming it down - never done it before, but I've always wanted a pocket sized one. I know this won't do the trick, but it looks like it would lend itself very well to a trim job.
C'mon, lets see the finished product...lol.

Michael

FLizarraga

By popular demand: The Wild Unknown, trimmed and gilded

OK, people, I took a couple of pics. Not the best, but they will have to do.

It's not the hardest deck to trim, but not a particularly easy one, either. The borders are somewhat irregular and not perfectly aligned, so it took some retouching to make the cards even. I gilded it in silver, but that won't show in this light.

Attachments

• Wild Unknown One.jpg
    Wild Unknown One.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 574
  • Wild Unknown Two.jpg
    Wild Unknown Two.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 751

Calcifer

Thanks ! Ok, I'm impressed :)
After the holidays, I just might have to invest in the necessary tools...

Michael

FLizarraga

Thanks ! Ok, I'm impressed :)
After the holidays, I just might have to invest in the necessary tools...

Michael

Isn't it beautiful? Without borders, those splendid images sort of grow and spill out before your eyes.

Buy the longest, sharpest scissors you can find. (Walmart is your friend :)) Longer scissors are particularly useful when the inner borders are sort of fuzzy, like these are. I have a 10-inch for cutting and an 8-inch for retouching when necessary, which is not that often. (It was LeFanu who posted the long scissor tip, IIRC, so I credit him every time I talk about it.)

As for corner rounders, the cheaper the better. The Kadumaru Pro (also cheap) gives you a choice of sizes for when you have a too-large or too-small deck and need to make it custom, but most El Dirt Cheapo corner rounders are in the 5mm (medium) range, and I have found that, most of the time, one of those is all you need.

Calcifer

Thanks for the tips !!!
I was thinking a metal ruler and some razor knives to strip off the borders - but some high quality scissors sound a lot easier to work with !

Michael

EarthAngel2911

I have trimmed a few decks but have always felt more comfortable keeping an original version as well.

What I'd really love to do is trim those large gold borders off my Fantastical, but I only have one copy, and now it's out of print.

I suppose I'll just have to convince my OCD side that I won't crumble if I don't have an original version. :)

Does anyone have a trimmed version of US Games Fantastical Tarot by Nathalie Hertz they can share images of?

rylla

OK, people, I took a couple of pics. Not the best, but they will have to do.

It's not the hardest deck to trim, but not a particularly easy one, either. The borders are somewhat irregular and not perfectly aligned, so it took some retouching to make the cards even. I gilded it in silver, but that won't show in this light.

looks great! Did it make trimming a big difference? Are you happy that you did it? (I am thinking of trimming mine but I am still not sure)

FLizarraga

looks great! Did it make trimming a big difference? Are you happy that you did it? (I am thinking of trimming mine but I am still not sure)

It did make a big difference for me, and I cannot be happier, but since I'm a compulsive trimmer I'm not the most objective person to ask that... ;)

Like most trimmed decks, it feels freer, and the images kinda flow out.

Tanga

"Trimmed Borders/Altered Decks"

Good heavens! there's such a thing as a corner rounder!
Hah - cool!
Plus playing with guilt sounds wonderful.

Once long ago - I trimmed my mini Hanson-Roberts with scissors (limited edition in mini
size. I've not been able to find it again since then).
...Because I'd written in all the borders whilst teaching myself, and later didn't like
my writing/what I'd written. I'd love now to improve on that scissor cut - as ofcourse
I couldn't manually round the ends - so I cut them off accross.
Next project on the boil then...

Thankyou all!