Lee Bursten vs Jodorowsky

Nickigirl

Sorry to hear Gregory! :( Hope you are ok!
Take your time, I'm not going to be buying anything right away anyway! :)

gregory

Sorry to hear Gregory! :( Hope you are ok!
Take your time, I'm not going to be buying anything right away anyway! :)

I'm fine. It is a small thing (severed fuel line from a pothole) but insurance takes ages. I Do feel sort of like an amputee without my car though :)

I AM in the process of emailing Ric....

Nickigirl

Oh good glad you are ok :)

gregory

Gregory, how much does that book discuss the minors? And the courts?

OK - got it out now.

Chapter Five is called "assigning meaning to the courts and pips" - ten pages. Chapter Six is called "reading the Marseille Tarot" (only 6 pages). I am scanning in a couple of pages from Chapter 5 to give you a taster, but it will follow in a little while, as my scanner is attached to another machine (don't ask...) Level II is followed by Level III which goes more in to using the details visible on each card.

Attachments

• Bursten.pdf
    431.7 KB · Views: 278

Wendywu

I liked Lee's book but the one I love best is Jean-Michel David's book, without a doubt. An absolute treasure. At the same time there is a book called Tarot Symbolism by Robert O'Neill which is a jewel of a book.

It is a quite pricey book unfortunately (although worth it if you can ever stretch to it), but luckily he has some meaty stuff here:

http://www.tarot.com/tarot/robert-oneill/tarot-symbolism

BSwett

OK - got it out now.

Chapter Five is called "assigning meaning to the courts and pips" - ten pages. Chapter Six is called "reading the Marseille Tarot" (only 6 pages). I am scanning in a couple of pages from Chapter 5 to give you a taster, but it will follow in a little while, as my scanner is attached to another machine (don't ask...) Level II is followed by Level III which goes more in to using the details visible on each card.

Thanks Gregory. Very helpful,

I could barely read it but there looked to be an interesting analogy using an imaginary eggbeater suit, where the general meaning of the suit is 'cooking', and what each pip number would translate that to!
Love it!

gregory

It seems legible enough... you CAN blow it up....

BSwett

What lovely talent Mr. Bursten has to convey information in simple words. His approach is simple and fantastic. Many have tried to bring this concepts to the light before, but very few have been able to pass the flame without blowing it off.

After some pages of Tarot history review, with references to bigger and more in depth books for those who care to dive into the deep end, he helps the reader design a storyline by giving an example of his own. This quickly becomes engraved in one's mind, and makes it easy to tap into your own fountain of interpretations. He does this while always encouraging originality and spontaneity.
The section on pips was at first alarmingly short, but later you realize that any more words would have probably blurred the idea that he presents.

Regardless of what you think about the kit's deck, I would highly recommend this book(let).

BSwett

I'd run with Bursten. Jodorowsky has an agenda and Bursten doesn't, IMHO.

I was jut watching some youtube videos of Jodorowsky. Interviews and speeches he has done. He seems like a lovely and wise old man, if a little crazy. (A plus, if you ask me).
What would you say is his hidden agenda regarding tarot?

Laura Borealis

If he has an agenda, I'd say it's to share his philosophical and esoteric worldview. He's really a fascinating and multi-talented person. I first learned of him in the 1980s when Heavy Metal was running his collaboration with Mœbius, "The Incal," which is based in tarot and alchemy. It had a big impact on me - I'd never read anything like it - and it was part of what sent me on my own path. So I've always had a real affection for him.

I haven't got his tarot book yet, though I read the introduction and first chapter. It's pretty quirky and opinionated but I found it entertaining. There's one point where he talks about how Andre Breton told him the Tarot of Marseilles is the only true tarot. He's so in awe of Breton, he actually throws away the Rider deck given to him by Leonora Carrington. Just throws it into a trash can on the street! I was so outraged! :laugh: "Jodo! You f***ing fool!" I wished I had a time machine and could go back and pull it out of the trash after he pitched it. I'm not too proud to trash-pick Leonora Carrington's tarot deck. She's one of my favorite artists! :D

His book is definitely on my list to get eventually. I would take a lot of it with a grain of salt, of course. It's not a book I'd read for factual information about tarot. But I think it would be enlightening in its own way.