Enforcing time limits

moon_light

Remember, too - many hourglasses are purely decorative (except 3-minute egg timers) so their time may vary if they don't indicate 'how long' a bulb of sand lasts.

Actually - if you get a 15-minute hourglass you can use that for 30-minute readings - the act of turning it over visually signifies that the session is 'half-over' ... :cool3:
Yeah, I've been looking up hourglasses, and I'm surprised at how many of them don't list the time. Also, I found one that was 10.5 minutes. Weird. Turning it over would work, but then I'd be stressing about noticing it and I think that distraction isn't worth it. Besides, it would be cool to have a little collection on my table! I found some that are just the glass with sand in different colors, so they'd look similar. That or I'd go eclectic... Point is, I like the hourglasses. :)

nisaba

How do you enforce time limits when you are reading? I'm wondering about both when you are reading for one client and when you're doing events. I just feel like a timer is abrasive.
A new-age shop I used to read in had a kitchen-timer on the reader's table. Thing was, if I chose to give a client extra time that didn't just impact on my income, it impacted on theirs, too, so enforcing set times is necessary. However, the kitchen timer had a nasty, disturbing buzz. So I bought myself a thirty-minute sandclock/hourglass. Like this, but with nicer turned woodwork. Looks fantastic on the table - has definitely become a part of my aesthetic setup just on its looks! - AND keeps time. Clients love it. And I turn it over at the start of the reading, when it gets low I start tying up loose ends, and I usually end around when it runs out. :)

Honestly, I feel more inclined to charge based on how many cards/
There's a problem with that. Sometimes you can talk for twenty minutes about one of the cards in the spread, other times just a sentence or two. People may object to paying for five cards if they can see you've only focussed deeply on three of them, even though the other two might have been totally necessary to you, to unlock the meaning of those three.

How big the reading is? Is that a number-of-cards thing, or a time-thing? I can't think of a third way a reading gets larger or smaller.

Ruby Jewel

If you need a timer, try a meditation timer. You can adjust the loudness as well as the sound. On my Enso timer I can choose the "singing bowl" sound or the "wood block" sound....etc. and adjust them to barely audible (for only me to hear) or obviously audible that the client can hear.

I find that the session will just end by itself....usually when the client is satisfied. I suppose if someone were waiting for a reading I might take control, but otherwise, I want the client to feel "closure."

nisaba

I find that the session will just end by itself....usually when the client is satisfied. I suppose if someone were waiting for a reading I might take control, but otherwise, I want the client to feel "closure."

There's an issue if you are doing this in someone's business and they've charged the client by a timed-length session fee.

And that's why I like an hourglass: you can't see ten minutes before your timer goes off, can you? I can. And it gives me notice that either I have more time to fill when I think the session is coming to an end, or that I need to start speaking faster to fit more info into the available time. With an hourglass you *can* and *do* give your clients closure every time, but with a sound-based timer you don't have that freedom.

Ruby Jewel

There's an issue if you are doing this in someone's business and they've charged the client by a timed-length session fee.

And that's why I like an hourglass: you can't see ten minutes before your timer goes off, can you? I can. And it gives me notice that either I have more time to fill when I think the session is coming to an end, or that I need to start speaking faster to fit more info into the available time. With an hourglass you *can* and *do* give your clients closure every time, but with a sound-based timer you don't have that freedom.

Hi Nisaba, I think an hourglass is great myself. There is one I've been wanting...it is for 30 minutes and they have them on Dharmacraft...meditation supplies. The Enso that I use right now does give you the minutes remaining. In fact, there is a dark black band that goes around the face of the clock that is very visible and it shows you how much time is left also. The slight tinkling sound of the "singing bowl" is very melodious and beautiful and nonintrusive. You can also make it so light that you would be the only one to hear it. It costs $100. The hourglass may be less expensive.

Grizabella

I don't keep track of my time during readings because I mostly do it online right now, but I'd love to find an hourglass that was 30 minutes and affordable. That's about like trying to find a duck with teeth, but I can dream. :p

gregory

I don't keep track of my time during readings because I mostly do it online right now, but I'd love to find an hourglass that was 30 minutes and affordable. That's about like trying to find a duck with teeth, but I can dream. :p

What EXACTLY is affordable ? One of these might do ?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Plastic-hourglass-30-Minutes-sand-timer-blue/1510546139.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/wooden-30-Minutes-sand-timer-hourglass/1822630602.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Sand-C...Timer-Kitchen-Dining-Room-Decor-/271461698539

http://www.officeplayground.com/Hourglass-Sand-Timer-30-Minute-Black-Sand-P1102.aspx

- no ?

moon_light

There's a problem with that. Sometimes you can talk for twenty minutes about one of the cards in the spread, other times just a sentence or two. People may object to paying for five cards if they can see you've only focussed deeply on three of them, even though the other two might have been totally necessary to you, to unlock the meaning of those three.

Yeah, that's a good point. I just didn't want to use a timer, but now that we have the hourglasses, that's solved. :)

If you need a timer, try a meditation timer. You can adjust the loudness as well as the sound. On my Enso timer I can choose the "singing bowl" sound or the "wood block" sound....etc. and adjust them to barely audible (for only me to hear) or obviously audible that the client can hear.

Those sound cool... What's a "wood block" sound? But, like you said, they're $100... I don't know that I want to invest that much in a timer. But as a meditation tool, that's really cool.

Yeah, I'm pretty much exclusively online, but I'm thinking of doing a farmers' market next year. I'm just trying to figure out the logistics so I can see if it would be worth doing or not.

What EXACTLY is affordable ? One of these might do ?

Thanks for posting those! I'm going to dig around those sites a little more... You found some really good deals there!

Pam O

This timer is my favorite. I really like it, plus it is intuitive purple. Gregory, you are an amazing searcher!

I have been on both sides of the reading table. From a client view, I am very cool with a timer. I see the time I have left, and I can guage my interaction, and questions, on the time status. It feels very fair.

Plus, on many signup sheets, you sign up for specific time increments. I was very excited to get a reading from one particular person I had heard much about. Since the opening times are typically the slowest, I got to the metaphysics fair as soon as it opened. Then I signed up for 2 consecutive slots with that person. She had a timer that I could look at if I chose to. It was not blatant, but it was there to keep her pn track. She also did end with, "Would you like to pull a card from this other deck with the time we have left?"

Grizabella

You ARE a search engine mastermind, Gregory! I've searched Google for sand timers forever and all I could ever find were either not 30 minute timers or else they were way too expensive for me. I've bookmarked these because they're definitely within my budget. Thank you so much. We should call you Sherlock, not gregory. :p