Would you rather.....

rylla

No, not the Devil...with the Devil there is always a danger of lies and manipulation...I could never trust a Devil...The Empress might have a too strong feminine side for my taste...maybe a Magician, a Chariot, a Justice or a Sun...

MandMaud

Yes, really. The Devil is the kind of lover who expects you to deep doing different things sexually, and putting yourself into danger literally or metaphorically. They demand control that way.
Yes, and the kind who would demand you phone when you arrive at work, and again just as you leave, so he can time your journey and be sure you're not fitting in any visits you aren't mentioning... I once worked with someone whose husband did that. Whenever she objected, he played up his heart condition and she was terrified of killing him if she put a foot wrong. Exasperating woman, but he was the real Devil, and all she understood was that she was trapped by how much he loved her. Really sinister.

The Empress wants you to be a good little house-husband: make a lot of money but be home early, look after the kids, have sex at regular times, grow organic veggies in the garden ...
I always think of her as more comforting than this. She'd want to do the garden herself, and the kitchen would be her domain, and everything to do with the kids... that could leave her partner impotent, but it wouldn't be claustrophobic. But your version makes sense too. :)

Hey, imagine the Empress and the Devil as a couple! Which would suffer more?
(I know what i think.)

Annabelle

I can't get away from the idea of the Empress as bearing fruit / being about fruitfulness and motherhood.

Therefore, I would have to choose the Devil by default. Because there's no way I want anything to do with bearing children.

The Empress is far more frightening than the Devil.

tarotbear

... I'd rather be a sparrow than a snail ...

re-pete-a

If I only could....

There's room a plenty for both in a relationship...

Like moods ...

Balance is a good thing...if only the timing could be synchronized...

The Nice needs the Bad for balance...

Get that smile off your face and that feather out of my ear while I write this post...

nisaba

I'd rather be a hammer than a nail. But I'd rather not be (or take to bed) either a Devil or an Empress.

Tanga

"Devil or Empress?"

I can't get away from the idea of the Empress as bearing fruit / being about fruitfulness and motherhood.
Therefore, I would have to choose the Devil by default. Because there's no way I want anything to do with bearing children.

Bwahahahaha! Start my morning with a good laugh - thank you Annabelle.
But the 'bearing' in this scenario wouldn't be done by you as it's the partner we're talking about here.
I do resonate with your Empress 'haunt' - as my 'childbearing instincts' were wildly misplaced somewhere else when I was made too (perhaps it's all fulfilled in my therapist role). I can still hear the Astrologist's voice - the first time I went for a reading years ago (not anymore now) when she said much to my delight: "Barefoot and cooking in the kitchen with children running about your legs - that is definitely NOT you".

Yes, and the kind who would demand you phone when you arrive at work, and again just as you leave (the Devil), so he can time your journey and be sure you're not fitting in any visits you aren't mentioning...I once worked with someone whose husband did that. Whenever she objected, he played up his heart condition and she was terrified of killing him if she put a foot wrong...

Ahhh yes... now y'see, I have a partner with these sorts of tendencies. Happily, I have trained him out of them.
But the "I might die" manipulation you mention - that's pretty sinister.

I always think of her (the Empress) as more comforting than this. She'd want to do the garden herself, and the kitchen would be her domain, and everything to do with the kids... that could leave her partner impotent, but it wouldn't be claustrophobic.

Yes. My Devil would love it if I had more Empress traits like you describe.

Hey, imagine the Empress and the Devil as a couple! Which would suffer more?(I know what i think.)

The Empress would suffer more. But only if she didn't believe/accept that all that controlling on the Devil's part wasn't 'normal/acceptable'. The Devil would love her to get on with doing all that organisational stuff as it would be her proper 'place' to do it. So he could just sit about with his feet up - and boast about his prosperous family life.

re-pete-a

The saddest song,The saddest song...

The Devil triumphs... The Empress is now two...

EmpressArwen

Hmmm...

Well, in my mind, I associate the Devil with super hot sex followed by a bunch of bullsh#$. I dated those guys in my very early twenties. It's the bad boy syndrome. Sexy, smoking hot and too much trouble.

Now that I'm an old lady...give me The Empress. Loving, nurturing, sexy but is still going to call tomorrow. LOL I'm lucky that I married The Devil, who turned into the Emperor...and still has just enough Devil to keep things interesting...