Size of Tarot card?

Margo9023

shadowdancer

Well, if you know who will be doing the printing, and the eventual card size, you can figure the aspect ratio. Divide the length by the width. That is it :)

Then, you can decide what size you want to actually draw to.

So, if you have an aspect ratio of 1.5 (dividing length by width)
and you have an idea of the width you want to work on (using 4 inches as an example) you need to multiply 4 by 1.5 and that gives you the length. So you would be working on a board or card 6 x 4 inches.

If I were doing my own deck (in my dreams....lol)

I would want to work to an eventual tarot card size as printed by printers studio. I think that was 1.72

So, I would want reasonable sized board, let's say 5 inches wide. Multiply that by 1.72 and I know I would have to mark the length of working area as being 8.6 inches.

That is how I would work it out anyways. Hope it helps :)

With regards size you have to remember each time you scan an image, tweak it and save it, you lose quality. It is perhaps better to start slightly larger and size smaller, rather than start small and try to size it up. You will not gain quality by making an image larger. Think of how a photo starts to look when you zoom in on detail. You are making it larger, but it isn't long before it becomes fuzzy. Just a thought.

Hi Shadowdancer! Thank you that is helpful. Yes, I have many drawings in journals in regular size journals - some of them I wanted to get enlarged but I think it will be a problem. The sad thing is, some of them are really different, and I luv them.
Thanks again, Margo :)

HudsonGray

Hi HudsonGray, Thank you! I will try this. Does it matter where on the paper you start the L? Will it be bigger or smaller depending where you put the L? I know it might sound like a stupid question but I'm trying to visualize your instructions. : )

No, you're only using the L to start the enlarging/shrinking process. I'd put it at the bottom left corner of the paper to let you work on it.

You're basically doing an L and the diagonal line is going to go in the direction of the upper right side of the paper. The L keeps the constant, the diagonal line is your sliding scale for making the card larger or smaller. Sketch it out, you'll see what I mean.

Margo9023

HudsonGray

No, you're only using the L to start the enlarging/shrinking process. I'd put it at the bottom left corner of the paper to let you work on it.

You're basically doing an L and the diagonal line is going to go in the direction of the upper right side of the paper. The L keeps the constant, the diagonal line is your sliding scale for making the card larger or smaller. Sketch it out, you'll see what I mean.

Hi HudsonGray! Thank you! That really helps I'm going to try this. Ok - I'll start on left side of paper - How big will I make the L?

HudsonGray

As big as you want, all it does is give you two sides for the card, the rest is sliding scale.

Try it.

Margo9023

HudsonGray

As big as you want, all it does is give you two sides for the card, the rest is sliding scale.

Try it.

Hi! Thank you! I'm going to try this. Do I draw out to the edges even if there is no boarders? Or do I leave them blank - sorry I'm not good at math - just can draw. : )