Playing Cards

Asher

Lee said:
I'm curious, can you tell us in general terms what Jonathan Dee's approach is?

-- Lee

Sure, Lee, I'll try. (I haven't finished it yet)

The book begins with an overview of reading playing cards, the development of cartomancy, some information on Etteilla and Mlle. Lenormand, and Golden Dawn astrological information.

Separate chapters are presented for the Aces, Twos, etc. through the Kings. A brief introduction to the number is given, and each card is given its own page. Each page includes a 4 line poem/mnemonic, keywords, astrological relationship, and a couple of paragraphs of meaning (much more concise than the Jones book, definitely). Also, each card is keyed by number and symbol to Mlle. Lenormand's deck, and the "court" cards are given a brief physical description (age, skin & hair color).

Dee devotes a chapter to "Telling Fortunes the Romany Way", using what he calls a "reduced" deck of 32 cards, which he attributes to Etteilla, but says is also "used extensively by the Romany people (the gypsies) and [which] has become popular in Italy, France and Germany..." This reduced deck uses the Aces, Kings, Queens, Jacks, Tens, Nines, Eights, and Sevens. He provides upright and reversed meanings for these cards, and offers several "Romany" spreads.

His next chapter is called "The Lenormand System", where he again correlates the deck with Lenormand's numbering and symbolism, and gives brief meanings for the reading the cards using this system (upright only). Several Lenormand spreads are included, as is a separate chapter on the Master Method, "also called the Square of 36, said to be the system by which Mlle. Lenormand made some of her most famous predictions." This method lays out 36 cards in a 6x6 grid, with each position having a specific meaning such as 'wrongs & injustices", "friendships", "health" and "scandals". This reading method begins by looking only at the suit in each position, so Dee gives brief interpetations of what each suit means in each position of the grid. The next section, "Cards to Look Out For", offer meanings for cards incorporating both number & suit. Finally, a chapter offers a sample interpretation of a Master Method spread.

The book concludes with a brief chapter on "Interpreting the Reading", and another "Traditional Romantic Games and Readings".

For me, the correlation of playing cards with Mlle. Lenormand's "system" is very interesting. I have a Grimaud Lenormand deck, which I have not been able to do much with, so I am hoping this might help.

I do like the Marthy Jones book, but it seems to require a lot of memorization -- not that that's a bad thing, just something I'm not sure I have the energy for right now. I like the Cortez book, for its emphasis on color, suit and number, which I am hoping will apply not only to playing cards, but to non-scenic Tarot pips as well (Keeping my fingers crossed).

Hope this helpful.

Asher

Lee

Thanks Asher! That Dee book sounds interesting.

-- Lee

catlin

Lee said:
Hey folks, I don't know if this is off-topic or not, but I just found a great set of playing cards:

http://www.enchantedglyph.com/pippoglyph.htm

They're beautiful, and incredibly inexpensive! I ordered three!-- Lee

Oh, they look great!!! In case someone orders some more, please let me know as I don't get that lovely deck here in ol' Germany.

Thanks in advance.

Lee

Hi catlin, it looks like they ship internationally, and if you don't want to order online, you can order by phone with a credit card, or by mail using check or money order.

-- Lee

Joermit

Jonathan Dee Book...

I've had this book for several months... I read playing cards as well as tarot.... It's a pretty good book... Goes into depth into the Lenormand system (which is an extremely incredible system in and of itself as I've researched it quite a bit, boy it's in depth though!), astrological and numerological associations, with traditional meanings and card titles; and stories surrounding playing card use throughout history including famous cartomancers and their readings for royalty (very interesting some of this!)... I'm disappointed by the book's end however... it's wrapped up very curtly, like there should have been more... I'd recommend it... a knowledge of astrology would really help... I understand Jonathan Dee will also be coming out with a new cartomancy book called "Simply Reading With Playing Cards" (or something like that) later in the year... I really enjoy reading with playing cards--I find they tend to be very to the point... when I read for myself I tend to read playing cares... as a professional reader though, most clients want Tarot... I also read Crystals (this is called Lithomancy) which I absolutely love, such spiritual and insightful readings... but clients too tend to ask for Tarot... I've rambled enough... thanks

cardlady22

comparing views on suits

I've been browsing again, and this looks like a very good thread to revive and add my compilation of the Suit Assignments for various authors/systems. If there is a ? mark, it means the info was not specifically set down in the book.

ETA: PMing with a Moderator now about devoting a thread to Personal System Development under Oracle Study Groups.

Attachments

• PCsuitComp.pdf
    51.4 KB · Views: 345

Bhavana

So, I've read all the posts everyone's replied to about playing cards. I got several books also (and there aren't too many!). I guess my question is what methods are people using? The easiest one I'm finding is to simply follow the minor arcana and the jacks stand in for knights. Any suggestions or methods? I'd really like to become more skilled with them. :)

this is what I did, learned the basics before I ever even bought a tarot deck. A good foundation in numerology is helpful, esp because there are no pictures to stimulate you while reading. I had a few books on reading with playing cards, but got rid of them over the years...you can also use any tarot book.

hunter

Card Lady, I've been thinking about some of our past cartomancy conversations. I am definately interested in spending some time on cartomancy again. You beat me to reviving some old threads :) I was about to seek you out :)

I am finding Corinne Kenner's "Tarot and Astrology" helpful. A LOT is applicable to playing cards. Also her new deck the Wizard's Tarot is very organized and follows a tighter system than most illustrated decks, so I am eyeing these 2 books as the basis of my cartomancy system. Also a little from the Motherpeace playbook.

My goal is to eventually have playing cards be my primary deck, but I find I always bottom out in trying to create my system. It's a lot of study and work. When I am tired and sad and ungrounded, it's so nice to just pick up a deck and let someone spoon feed me while I look at pretty pictures.

I'm off to search for an Aquarian Tarot deck to go along with my purchase yesterday of "Spiritual Tarot". I'm hoping this will spoon feed me alongside my cartomancy studies. I think using a cartomancy system similar to tarot will help me not bottom out this time, as I will be able to overlap my studies.