Most Disturbing Tarot

karen0205

Me Also, the New Orleans Voodoo Deck. Kind of creeps me out
but that's the Voodoo factor, not the images on the cards.

Cruel Thing Tarot
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/cruel-thing/

Zombie
www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/zombie/

I know you said no teen age vampire decks, this is not one of those
Vampire Tarot - Robert Place
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/vampire-place/

Necronomicon
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/necronomicon/

I have always been a little creeped out at the Giger deck.
Very disturbing images there. Just weird and 'eww' This is majors only
so you might enjoy the images but not a 78 card deck

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/giger-baphomet

Sumada

To quote Karen2005

"I have always been a little creeped out at the Giger deck.
Very disturbing images there. Just weird and 'eww' "

...BUT that's only a majors deck, and Slime Mucus wants a full 78 card deck.

Some people find the 78 card Tarocco dei Giardini di Priapo disturbing, because of the sexual content.

But I would have to say the most disturbing decks do seem to be 22 card decks, and I'll only mention them if Slime Mucus asks me to :~)

Slime Mucus

This is probably not what you meant but the New Orleans Voodoo Tarot disturbs me, makes me feel uneasy. I have no idea why because I dont spook easily and I am a natural skeptic. But I've had a couple of experiences with this deck which makes me think that maybe a deck with Voodoo in its title shouldn't really be a tarot deck. But I still can't bring myself to get rid of it.

I just looked up the New Orleans Voodoo Tarot. I agree that the art is dark and a little on the fear side. (Not that dark, though.) You may not realize, but Voodoo is a religion based on Christian beliefs, a lot like the Mormon Church. Voodoo involves invoking the spirits of Jesus, Mary, and the Saints to perform miracles. This is why I'll never practice anything Voodoo related, because I'm not Christian. The art is not what I would call macabre or scary, personally. I'm not interested in this deck.

Slime Mucus

I find the Deviant Moon Tarot really disturbing! It's often the #1 most popular deck of all time in the annual AT charts but it makes me psychologically uneasy but then I don't own it and never bought it. But seen the images!

There is a thread on AT of decks you regret buying and it features a lot but many people buy it, find it disturbing, put it in a drawer and then come back to it. Eventually they work through it and really love it!

So that might happen with me but not sure if I will ever buy it :)

I have a feeling that the Deviant Moon Tarot is going to be the number #1 answer, and this might be the only time I'll address it. Someone said that the Deviant Moon Tarot is tame, and I agree. Its certainly an interesting deck, but its nothing that would make me cringe. The cards look like a less-messed up Picasso painting, but I wouldn't classify them as "disturbing."

Slime Mucus

The Bosch Tarot with cards with Bosch style. Can be quite disturbing. Also the gloomiest I've seen is the Guardian Tarot with fallen angels. Unfortunately both are out-of-print. I can add the Bohemian Gothic Tarot too. But personally I find the Victorian Romantic Tarot creepy and disturbing.

Me and you have very different definitions of "Disturbing." All of those are tame. Care to share why they creep you out?

Slime Mucus

To quote Karen2005

"I have always been a little creeped out at the Giger deck.
Very disturbing images there. Just weird and 'eww' "

...BUT that's only a majors deck, and Slime Mucus wants a full 78 card deck.

Some people find the 78 card Tarocco dei Giardini di Priapo disturbing, because of the sexual content.

But I would have to say the most disturbing decks do seem to be 22 card decks, and I'll only mention them if Slime Mucus asks me to :~)

What can one do with only a 22 major deck? You'll never get specific answers with them. I never why some readers choose to read with only 22 cards and leave the other 82& of the cards out.

The crowned one

giger tarot is visually disturbing to some.

Tarot decks even before tarot was for divination, or perhaps more so back then, are designed not to disturb, but to teach a moral lesson. They fall with in our templates, or close to so we can understand the cards. They seem to be generic enough in their idea's that the cross most cultural lines quite easily. I think a deck that was truly disturbing would just be a collection of 78 gut wrenching images: things that cause moral abhorrence or disgust. The only way you would know it is tarot would be by its structure. :)

tigerlilybug

The Dark Grimoire scares the bejesus out of me.

I have to agree this is the darkest themed deck I've come across, 2 cards that really stood out to me is the hanged man which is a man hanging upright from a noose and the 2 of pentacles displays a scary scene of a man fighting for his life.

karen0205

I have a feeling that the Deviant Moon Tarot is going to be the number #1 answer, and this might be the only time I'll address it. Someone said that the Deviant Moon Tarot is tame, and I agree. Its certainly an interesting deck, but its nothing that would make me cringe. The cards look like a less-messed up Picasso painting, but I wouldn't classify them as "disturbing."

I really don't get why the Deviant Moon is scary? I really can't see that a bunch of
cricket people are frightening. It almost is on the verge of cartoony. Not that I don't
like the Deviant Moon, I do but it's not one that I would classify as scary or disturbing.
Maybe one or two cards but definitely not the entire deck and I'm pretty sure it
wasn't supposed to be.

KristinCali

Before I even finished reading your post I had Dark Grimoire on my mind! I LOVE that deck.