Swedish Witch / Jolanda Tarot - Magician

Guiding Cauldron

I love the power of communication between practitioner and nature here! A person who takes control of his/her destiny (lightning bolt) while using their skills wisley (snake) and honourably (elephant) Keeping honesty to self to achieve potential. :)

Alan Ross

As in many versions of The Magician, all four suit signs are present, representing mastery over all aspects of life. The Magician herself holds an athame skyward, a wand is grasped by the elephant's trunk, the Magician's skirt is decorated with pentacles, and a decorative chalice (the Grail?) sits on the altar.

The lightning forking down from above could represent divine inspiration or power. I believe the winged helmet alludes to Hermes, Greek god of wisdom and communication, who is often associated with his Egyptian counterpart Thoth in the Western Hermetic tradition. The GD astrological association for The Magician is Mercury, the Roman equivalent of Hermes.

There are two serpents in this card, a serpent head on top of the Magician's helmet and a serpent head at the end of the elephant's trunk. Among other things, serpents symbolize wisdom. Elephants, noted for their high intelligence, also symbolize wisdom in some cultures, as well as strength and power. The ape is a symbol that's also found in the Magus card from the Thoth Tarot. Milo Duquette, in his book on the Thoth Tarot, identifies the ape as the Cynolcephalus, the Ape of Thoth, and has the following to say about it:

"This creature ... is the personification of an ironic curse that afflicts Thoth-Mercury and all who attain the grade of Magus. Because falsehood and misunderstanding are inherent in all speech and writing, it is the cosmic duty of the Ape of Thoth to constantly mock the work of the Magus and distort his words."

I'm not sure about the scorpion in the lower right corner of the card. Perhaps it signifies that the Magician, like Circe of Greek myth, is both powerful and dangerous, with a deadly sting for those who allow themselves to be deceived or seduced by her.

Alan

Guiding Cauldron

Scorpians and Baboons

Well scorpian can mean a need to get rid of old ways to make room for something new. Especially since they molt their first skin. Could also represent Scorpio constellation.

The Ape as you see it I saw as a Baboon; slightly different and can mean the inquisitive side of ourselves. They also suggest the ability to mimic or copy.
Could also imply the means of "speak no evil, hear no evil, see no evil" while making practice; meaning harm none as you do relating to the Wiccan Rede.

Alan Ross

Guiding Cauldron said:
The Ape as you see it I saw as a Baboon; slightly different and can mean the inquisitive side of ourselves. They also suggest the ability to mimic or copy.
Just FYI, the term Cynocephalus, meaning "dog-headed," actually does refer to a baboon. The scientific designation for the Yellow Baboon for example is Papio Cynocephalus. The ape pictured in the Thoth Magus card is also a baboon and is generally referred to as the Ape of Thoth or the Cynocephalus Ape in Thoth references I've seen. The baboon is a member of the ape family.

Incidentally, I believe that the Jolanda Tarot is primarily Thoth-based rather than the more usual RWS-based. There is a lot of symbolism borrowed from the Thoth and most of the keywords included in the Swedish edition are similar to the keywords included on the Thoth.

Good point about the molting scorpion. As far as a possible reference to Scorpio, I thought of that, but I don't see why it would be associated with The Magician. This deck conforms closely to GD correspondences, which means this card would be associated with Mercury. Scorpio would be associated with Death.

Alan

Guiding Cauldron

ok u r way more technical than me :) Fab inforamtion though thanks

Alan Ross

Guiding Cauldron said:
ok u r way more technical than me
Sorry about that. I've been spending some time recently in the Thoth forum, trying for the nth time to get a handle on that deck. Things get way, way technical over there. Compared to most of the Thothies that hang there, my understanding of Thoth/GD esoterica is at a kindergarden level.

I was delighted to discover that underneath it's whimsical exterior, the Jolanda is a pretty serious esoteric deck. I do wish there was a companion book for this deck. I get the feeling looking through this deck that I'm missing half of what Jolanda Den Tredjes put into it.

Alan

Guiding Cauldron

gosh nothing wrong with that; I'm just NOT that level of brainy and always feel bad when someone gets technical and at the beggining I can just feel my eyes glaze over from lack of understanding, I feel so kindergrten myself then lol

I really love that this deck is a muted color tone which gets me going and it still meaty as well. Great for my brain to handle anyway :)

Alan Ross

Guiding Cauldron said:
I really love that this deck is a muted color tone
Muted color tone? The copy I have has colors that seem bright and saturated to me. It's the edition with the purple multilingual borders and the single large dragonfly on the back. Is that the same one you have, or do you have a different edition? At any rate, I'm happy with what I have. It strikes me as a bright and cheerful deck.

I have more monkey business. I looked for some more opinions on the significance of the baboon. Gerd Zeigler, in his Thoth companion book "Tarot: Mirror of the Soul," also identifies the baboon as the companion to Thoth and says that he "illustrates that wisdom can never be regulated in set ways. Any external manifestation, for example through words, includes in it some illusion." Snuffin, in "The Thoth Companion," mentions that the Egyptian Book of the Dead refers to this baboon as the "highly intelligent companion of Thoth who assists him in the Weighing of the Heart in the Hall of Judgement."

Incidentally, I also looked further into whether or not the baboon is an ape. Some sources define "ape" as a large tailless simian. By that definition, a baboon is not an ape, since baboons have tails. Other sources define "ape" as a large simian with a short tail or no tail. By that definition, a baboon is an ape. I've also read that "ape" may have originally referred specifically to baboons. So is a baboon an ape? Who knows. And who really cares. All that matters is that I was at work bored and looking to kill some time. Looking into this did a fine job of that :).

Alan

heron

Elephant and colours

Hi.
There's pages of discussion about the colours of the various editions of the Jolanda somewhere else on AT (can't now remember what strand/thread it was) some are apparently a bit harsh - though the ones I've seen on screen seem quite subtle. I can hardly wait to see what my deck is like.

I pricked up my ears at the mention of elephants. Until a week ago the only deck I knew of with an elephant was the Alchemical (apparently balancing happily on four clay pots in the Four of Vessels). Even Robert Place seemed unsure why he'd put it there - I had an email from him when I asked, having originally got the deck with no book or LWB.

I have seen the Jolanda Hierophant on screen, and noticed his robe had pink elephants all over it, so I'm intrigued.

Alan Ross

heron said:
There's pages of discussion about the colours of the various editions of the Jolanda somewhere else on AT (can't now remember what strand/thread it was) some are apparently a bit harsh - though the ones I've seen on screen seem quite subtle. I can hardly wait to see what my deck is like.
I think I know what thread you're referring to. It's a recent one. The consensus seemed to be that the muted coloring of the older editions was preferable. I like the bright colors of the edition I have, but I don't have an older edition to compare it with. Taroteca has an older Swedish edition with greyish borders and a single dragonfly on the back (http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/album/339/Swedish_Witch), which I assume has the muted colors, but of course looking at online scans isn't the same thing as looking through the actual deck. I hope you'll be happy with your copy.

heron said:
I pricked up my ears at the mention of elephants. Until a week ago the only deck I knew of with an elephant was the Alchemical (apparently balancing happily on four clay pots in the Four of Vessels). Even Robert Place seemed unsure why he'd put it there - I had an email from him when I asked, having originally got the deck with no book or LWB.
The Alchemical Tarot is on my wish list. Did you check out the study group for it? One of the posters has posted Place's complete description, analysis, and interpretation for each card from his companion book (with Place's permission).

heron said:
I have seen the Jolanda Hierophant on screen, and noticed his robe had pink elephants all over it, so I'm intrigued.
Cool! I haven't looked through the entire deck in detail, so I missed that. It's something to look forward to when we get to that card.

Alan