Paul MArteau´s Tarot de MArseille and A.E.Waite, the key of Tarot

Kether__

Have you read any of these books? How are they like?

Rusty Neon

I have both of those books. I don't have the time to write full-blown book reviews but here are some quick points ...

MARTEAU

I am glad I got this book, especially at the reasonable price I paid for it, because it figures prominently in 20th century French tarot thought.

Since the colouring of the Grimaud TdM deck is colouring introduced by Marteau in the 1930s (rather than the original colouring from the 1700s), Marteau's book is useful to gain insight into what he may have intended by the colouring he used. He analyses and develops divinatory meanings for the pip cards having regard to the various factors, i.e., Pythagorean numerology, psychological colour symbolism, botanical and other pictorial details, and suit.

However, the divinatory meanings he thus derives are at odds with my instincts based on those same factors, since the suit meanings he uses are quite personal to him and are vastly different from those used in anglophone or even francophone tarot.

I like the book's full colour images of the cards as they are better colour balanced than the cards in the Grimaud or Marteau (Dusserre) decks.

Besides the fact that this book is the book that started the 20th century TdM psychological interpretation schools in France, I like this book for its pointing out of pictorial details, and pointing out of differences in pictorial details between various cards, and for the full colour card images.

This book is good to have but, for interpretations that make sense to me, I prefer the two recent books by Carole Sédillot on the TdM minors.

WAITE

I am glad to have this book as well. Since Waite was the co-creator of the RWS deck, it's good to have his interpretation of what was intended to portrayed by the cards, especially the pip cards. So many current-day tarot authors paraphrase or contradict what Waite has to say about his own deck, so it's good to read Waite directly.

Of course, Waite doesn't tell all, and sometimes he deliberately misleads or he couches things cryptically, in order not to break secrecy oaths that he had made to the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, of which he had previously been a member.

Kether__

Dear Rusty:

I have just ordered Waite´s book, and when I finish it I will look for Marteau´s one.

One question: Do you have references about Rachel Pollack´s book "78 degrees of wisdom?

Best Regards

Kaz

i just won the "Tarot de Marseille" by Paul Marteau on ebay.fr for 3,50 €. i think thats a pretty good price !
so, when i start on that one, i'll probably post in historical section about it.
got two books this week from ebay that i wanted to have for some time for a good price, this one and the one by oswald wirth.

Rusty Neon

Kaz said:
i just won the "Tarot de Marseille" by Paul Marteau on ebay.fr for 3,50 €. i think thats a pretty good price !
so, when i start on that one, i'll probably post in historical section about it.

Wow! That's a good price; the colour illustrations alone are worth the price.

Looking forward to your posts about the book.