Five of Wands

spinningspider

Turmoil and agitated strife builds to a possible fevered pitch as the figures in the "Five of Wands" go at it, using their wands as protection and/or aggressive weaponry. The million-dollar question is, in this case: Are the figures different personages or are they one and the same being, fighting the demons within? Hmmm...all depends on the querent or who the querent is asking about, the actual question asked, the spread used, and where the Five of Wands falls within that spread.

In her book, Robin has mentioned that the figures were all drawn from the same model, a guy very adept at the martial arts. But that information wouldn't keep me from feeling that the men were all different people (of any gender, age, race, etc.), battling against each other, especially if my own intuition as a reader led me to believe this was so. No matter what, this is no passive confrontation. There's lots of energy being expended and whatever is being fought over is certainly important to those involved. It's as if their passion for the situation has translated directly into raw, spark-ignited
power. Also, the figures aren't just punching and swinging blindly in the dark, they're skilled and determined and highly focused. After all, martial arts IS a creative art...can even be thought of as a dance in some circumstances...

Once again, as in many of the other cards of this suit, the wands are all silver, though Robin mentioned she had actually meant to make them copper...as she said, "...to show the vast amount of energy that was available here." Each wand has a different colored crystal topper, which as a whole make up the colors found on a color wheel. This same color spectrum can be found on the various outfits worn by the figures. Interestingly, Robin drew these different colors to "...show the buried harmony, that is just waiting to reveal itself in this situation." If one or more of the colors stand out, I'm reminded of the chakras and how when one or more of them are out-of-balance or blocked, I can feel at odds with myself. If different colors make themselves apparent to me when reading for a querent or if the Five of Wands appears reversed, I might actually look for some chakra blockage.

Robin noted that the key words for this card include "unfulfilled struggle." I might ask myself if these figures seem to be storming in a teacup; going round and round with no end in sight and no conclusion ever to be drawn. Or is the fight a valiant, noble one and worth all the effort expended? If the card speaks of inner struggle within one person, could there be other ways to find the answers needed for peace and piece of mind? Or must this individual go through this bitter struggle in order to reach a must-needed decision? Hmmm. The Five of Wands is an action-packed card that makes me think very hard and deeply when it appears in a reading.

Nisha

5 of Wands

I got this card for my daily draw today and I had an 'aha' moment.
The way the wands are positioned reminds me of when I used to do Morris dancing a long time ago. We would use blunt swords and it would be like a mock battle of sorts and eventually we would intertwine the swords to create a large star, the ultimate sign of hope and success.

So for me, the 5 of Wands shows struggle and strife yes, but not not necessarily a purposeless one. The potential is there to create something more positive and greater than what is there now, perhaps even by finding a way to work with the competition. The battle shown in the 5 of wands suddenly seems more like a dance and perhaps that is the best way to see the positive in this card.

~Nisha :)

Reinos

Nisha said:
I got this card for my daily draw today and I had an 'aha' moment.
The way the wands are positioned reminds me of when I used to do Morris dancing a long time ago. We would use blunt swords and it would be like a mock battle of sorts and eventually we would intertwine the swords to create a large star, the ultimate sign of hope and success.

So for me, the 5 of Wands shows struggle and strife yes, but not not necessarily a purposeless one. The potential is there to create something more positive and greater than what is there now, perhaps even by finding a way to work with the competition. The battle shown in the 5 of wands suddenly seems more like a dance and perhaps that is the best way to see the positive in this card.

~Nisha :)

I agree entirely. When I draw this card, it always seems like a dance, or a challenge where the goal is to practice a dangerous skill, or more often, to see it as a fight to test your limits and know what you're capable of. It's a necessary fight and a challenge, and yes, very high energy, but it's working towards something that is worthwhile to the querent in finding an answer or working towards a goal.

Morwenna

I like the Morris image. :)

Back in one of Robin's workshops, before the book came out, I noticed (and she confirmed) that the staves they're so eager to poke each other with are lined up to form a star, a pentacle, but aren't there yet. With that in mind, I think of struggle to accomplish something, perhaps among people who share the goal but are all tangled up because of miscommunication or stubbornness or ego. It strikes me not so much adversarial as a rivalry within the team trying to achieve something.

semprini

Back in one of Robin's workshops, before the book came out, I noticed (and she confirmed) that the staves they're so eager to poke each other with are lined up to form a star, a pentacle, but aren't there yet. With that in mind, I think of struggle to accomplish something, perhaps among people who share the goal but are all tangled up because of miscommunication or stubbornness or ego. It strikes me not so much adversarial as a rivalry within the team trying to achieve something.

I like this idea! I have noticed the neo-star a couple of times, but never gave it that meaning. It gives hope that something useful will come out of this kerfuffle.

One thing I find myself contemplating is the inequity between the contestants. Three of them have other mens' staves directed at them, while the poor sod at the bottom right has *two* pointing at him, and the topmost guy has *none*! I know life tends to be that way... maybe it jars me a bit because for the most part Robin's deck gives a lot of attention to balance (like the sleeve and sword on Justice, as someone on that thread mentioned).

Morwenna

One thing I find myself contemplating is the inequity between the contestants. Three of them have other mens' staves directed at them, while the poor sod at the bottom right has *two* pointing at him, and the topmost guy has *none*! I know life tends to be that way... maybe it jars me a bit because for the most part Robin's deck gives a lot of attention to balance (like the sleeve and sword on Justice, as someone on that thread mentioned).

I think that's the point here: balance is what's needed but what is missing.