Druidcraft Study Group: Prince of Pentacles

TygrEyes

Hi, Gang! Every time I sit down to write something up about the Prince of Pentacles I get distracted. I decided to post the scan NOW for all of you & I'll get back to him later. :eek:)

Attachments

• smrpofp.jpg
    smrpofp.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 429

Majecot

LOL... he is kind of a cupcake too isn't he ;) I will have to come back later too...got some catching up. :D

CreativeFire

He is a bit of a looker with those dark eyes and long dark hair ;) but on a more serious note . .

So the second thing I noticed about this card ;) was that the horse is standing still - front feet together - like this prince has stopped to look at something ahead as he his eyes are looking at the direction he is facing.

Looking at the 'face' of the horse - is it just me or does he have sort of stubborn even mean look about him - serious could be another word maybe.

I also noticed that the Prince of Pentacles has his sword drawn and in his right hand, even though he is holding down to his side, in readiness possibly. But the old twist of his wrist did make me think that he might be using it like a riding crop to tap the horse on the rump to give it a bit of a giddy up.

The position of his shield got me thinking that he seems quite guarded or cautious and holds his shield in quite a protective position in front of him. As if you were just riding along you would not hold the shield up so high in front of your face or across your body so much - just some observations.

Looking at the other Prince cards, the Prince of Pentacles is the only one that appears to be on solid, rocky ground. All the others you can see grass in the foreground, under hoof but in this one it is like he is on a stone path, perhaps representing that he is on solid ground, stability, practicality perhaps.

I look forward to reading others thoughts and observations on this card, in the meantime I will go back to gazing into his dark eyes ;)

CreativeFire

WolfSpirit

I always looked at the prince of pentacles as reliable but a bit dull - but this one does not look dull at all ! Look at his clothes, being a prince of pentacles they are probably comfortable and practical as well, but also colourful and joyous and decorative.
He hides a bit behind his shield, he is on the defensive, but although he has his sword ready I don't think he is really ready for battle - for example, he is not wearing a helmet (and he is the only prince to do so !). Maybe he is having a security check if everything is still safe on his farmlands. He does not look like he is going to attack everyone, but will stand his ground. The horse is also standing solid with his hind legs apart for extra stability.

I sometimes get the impression his hiding behind his shield is sort of a game or mockery. Same as his colourful clothes - as if he wants to say: hey, I am a serious guy, but not as serious as you all think !

TygrEyes

This fella is my favorite Prince! There's the looks - long wavy dark hair, chiseled features, broad shoulders. He's older like the Prince of Swords - more life experience than the Princes of Wands & Cups. I love that he's so solid. He's seems confident - he's watching something, but doesn't appear to be fearful of whatever it is. I wonder if it's a cliff he & his horse are standing on & he's watching an altercation below? Maybe that's why his shield is raised & he's watching over the top. He is holding his sword rather casually in his hand, with his hand resting on his horse's haunches. If he needed to he'd be ready to fight, though. I feel like he's just waiting for an opportune time to take action. He could be watching strangers move through his territory & doesn't know if they're friendly or not so he's not jumping the gun. Mr. Rock Solid - I love him! As far as the Princes, he's my idea of a real man. Of course, the Princes of Wands & Cups are young. Again, the horse reflects the rider perfectly - solid, quietly & patiently waiting for the right time.

TygrEyes

This fellow got buried pretty deep so I'm bumping him in case some missed him or just plain forgot - out of sight, out of mind. :eek:)

Majecot

I found him :)

Dullsville he is not!! He looks like a solid dependable sort of guy to me…isn’t that every woman’s dream? To have a guy like that you know you can count on? Not have to worry about where your next meal is coming from? This guy has things under control. Shield in one hand sword in the other, he looks relaxed but ready to defend he castle gate if necessary. Not too flashy and seems like he has well thought out his plan.
And Bright colors he wears too, nothing dull there. Rich greens, blues and gold’s (I’d take him home to mom for sure) quality wardrobe.

What do they call that leather thingy with the little disks on it?

Little Baron

Maybe this prince hides his feelings and that is why he holds his shield up - to hide his heart and protect it, unlike the Prince of Cups who is ready to let you fall deep within his watery aspects. He seems sensuous and moody; a handsome stranger. He feels mysteroius. What you see is what you get from the other Princes, but not this one. The trees around him feel brittle and I think he is probably harder to get to know than the others. It takes time; besides, he has a lot to do which keeps him occupied. He doesn't jump in without thinking like the Prince of Swords; he doesn't seem a little emotionally confused or emotionally tired like the Cup's Prince; he doesn't have that rush of excitement that I see in the 'teenage' Wands prince either. He seems practical and level-headed. He is assessing the situation ahead and working out the best way of dealing with it. He doesn't have the complete maturity of his parents, due to lack of experience so it takes him a little more time, but he works hard at it. He is definietly someone on the way to achieving his goals and best possible results. He will get there, but like his horse, he has to stop and pause to make sure that he is getting things right; checking his plan of action and making sure he has all of the right reserves - such as his sword, which is ready and waiting. This may make him dull in some people's eyes, but his commitments lasts a lot longer than the short bursts offered by the other princes.

LB

Pipistrelle

Hi All,

I drew this card today and it has been on my desk while I've worked. A little while ago I picked it up for a closer look and this is how I saw it at that moment...I thought I might as well add my thoughts here.

This prince is holding his sword and his shield so there must be some kind of threat. However, it seems to me as if he is resting back on the hand that's holding the sword. It's like he's waiting for the threat to come to him, instead of going out to confront it head on. It looks like he's been waiting a long time and nothing's happened. He's wondering what the other princes have found (as they obviously went off without him!) He has a responsibility to stay and protect the rear but, well, it's kinda boring. He's all dressed up with nowhere to go...

Maybe he'd rather go and see what's going on out there...

Pip

WalesWoman

One of the things I noticed in the Pentacles is the dark blue of the skies... something heavy in the air... but they all have a bit of sunlight showing on the horizon. So the mood is blue or overcast. The landscapes are late winter, spring hasn't quite popped out yet, so there is a lot going on beneath the surface... things you don't see, but can feel.

This guy is a hunk... sometimes he looks like a bit of a coward, peeking over the top of his shield, but I think he is cautious, assessing and measuring the threat before prodding the horse into action or even backing off entirely. This prince doesn't have the armor and defenses that the others do, his head is ungaurded... what you see is what you get, so he is senstive and could be hurt easily as well. Look how vulnerable his bare shoulder is... and sexy too, makes me want to plant a kiss in the hollow of his collar bone. He's well dressed, so is a man of mean's, his horse blanket is green and fringed, which makes me think he's on the fringes of prosperity... good family of means and connections. Those red leather dangly things are to deflect sword blows and protect his legs and "family jewels" and almost appear to look like "coming with bells on".

His stand is on solid ground, he deals in hard facts, but reserves taking action until he is certain which way to proceed. In one way, it does seem that he is leaning back a bit, listening, taking stock... in another way, it is in calm reassurance... but readiness to tap the sword and prod the horse into movement.
The horse to me has planted it's feet firmly, stubbornly and is going nowhere without a clear signal to go ahead and seems to be suspicious and dubious about what lies before it. But that being said, his haunches are bunched, like he's more than ready to charge forward a moments notice. His eyes are narrowed, his ears back... a clear sign that he won't allow or put up with anything... don't mess with me, I'll stomp you and may not want to be held back by this Prince, or on the opposite extreme... I don't like this, I want out of here, don't make me go here. There is a bit of conflict... the Prince is in total control of his horse tho'... don't move one way or another, until I say so. Timing is everything, proper planning and assessment critical to taking action, keeping perceptions grounded, definately not charging in when unprepared. It could also be making a stand and not being moved from it.