Druidcraft Study Group: Prince of Pentacles

Pipistrelle

Ever since I posted earlier, I've had the sneaking suspicion that the other princes have played a little trick on him..."You wait here," they said, "Keep watch. The bad guys are coming. We'll go get help."

So he waits. And waits. As the sky darkens, he waits some more, his shield growing heavy, his sword slowly falling from its defiant position. His horse, with a disgruntled snort, tries to say "I told you so."

The bad guys haven't come. Help hasn't come. But still he waits. Because he has a job to do. He'd rather be the laughing stock than let anyone down....His determined eyes reveal all. Let his fellow princes joke (except the prince of cups, because he's feeling very sad about it all now). Let his horse sigh and snort. He'll stay there all night if he has to.

I fear I'm painting a rather bleak picture of this prince today - I don't know why. I should probably have a think about how all this relates to my day :)

Pip

Laurelin

Pip, I did the same thing with the Prince of Cups yesterday... revisited him and see him a little differently today. It's good to be connected to the cards.

This is my favorite of the princes. He is so soulful. We can't see much of him, he isn't really "out there." He is wise, prudent, and guarded. He protects himself against some unseen foe with sword and shield. This may make him seem inaccessible, but he sees it as a necessary protection. He is our most prudent prince. Earthy and cautious, he stands guard but does not engage. The sun is at the horizon, and it looks like dawn to me (but I suppose it could be dusk). I think he's waiting for the time when he can leave his post in comfort, knowing that he didn't let anyone past him. I think he looks optimistic. I sense that he's been there awhile (resting on his sword hand), but that he's determined to stay at the ready. Nobody will take him by surprise, he's too observant and aware of himself. He knows things through observation. He is very sensible. If he hears something, he will position himself at the ready. He has cause to watch, but he isn't whipping himself into a frenzy about it. He really has his head on straight.

--Laurelin

Arania

"Shhh... what's that? Was something moving in the bushes? I'll fight if I have to, but I sure don't want to!"

That was my first impression of the card. It's not that he's a coward, but he doesn't like bloodshed and fight, he wants to be in harmony with the world around him.

His horse seems to be a bit bored at times by the constant stops and slow pace, but it's patient enough to just cooperate and wait. If it has to be, I think the two of them can be very quick - just to go back to a slow, contemplating pace as soon as the situation is resolved.