In which direction are looking the cards?

ivanna

Maybe is a silly question, but I didn't think about that untill I read it in the book "Tarot the open reading".
When I see a card with an human figure in it, and the figure is facing to the right, to my right side, I see it as looking at the future.
But I see the card as it were a mirrow, my right hand is on the right side of the card. I don't know if I can explain myself.
But if you look at the card as if it were a person sitted in front of you, the right hand in the card, really is the left hand of the person.
So now, I am not pretty sure about how to consider it.
Do you look at the cards as if they were a reflection of you, and the hand in the right side of the card is considered the right hand?

Marirowana

But if you look at the card as if it were a person sitted in front of you, the right hand in the card, really is the left hand of the person.

Do you mean the person you read for, in front of you? Or the human figure on the card?

Personally, I use left and right as how it appears to me, how it faces me on the card. Not how it looks like to someone else or the persons that are on the card. Because I'm the one who is reading.

It probably doesn't matter, as long as you always do the same and as long as it makes sense to you.

Sometimes I see left as past, right as future, like you do. Sometimes left is feelings and emotions, right is mind and ratio. Sometimes, when a card is moving to the left, I see it as if it is moving towards the card that is on the left, or moving away from the card on the right.

ivanna

I mean the human figure in the card.
I have never read for anyone in person :(
I'm used to see the hand on the right side of the card, as the right hand, with no more complications, but after reading about this in the book, I was doubting about if I was doing it well.

jean bosco

It probably doesn't matter, as long as you always do the same and as long as it makes sense to you.

Good point.

I'm used to see the hand on the right side of the card, as the right hand, with no more complications, but after reading about this in the book, I was doubting about if I was doing it well.

Anyway, it's a good question. There are two possibilities. My own viewpoint or the viewpoint of the figure in the card.
Personally, I go with both. When describing direction of movement I'm going with my viewpoint. So I would say, the Empress is looking to the right, or the Fool is walking towards the right. But when describing details on the card I'm going with the viewpoint of the figure. So I would say, the Empress has a scepter in her left hand.

Marirowana

Good point.
So I would say, the Empress is looking to the right, or the Fool is walking towards the right. But when describing details on the card I'm going with the viewpoint of the figure. So I would say, the Empress has a scepter in her left hand.

Now you point it out - I do the same, indeed :)

Lee

Here's an older thread about this.

ivanna

Thank you!

Shade

I only use this technique with Marseilles cards. In a reading I did recently for someone about how to deal with change and I got:

Three of Swords -- Hermit -- Death

If I had used a RWS I would have read these one at a time from left to right. Using the Yoav Ben-Dov interpretation (just started learning this) I saw the Hermit as the most important figure in the spread and that he was turning away from Death (and destruction) in order to experience a breakthrough, shining his lantern on the three of swords.

3ill.yazi

I do recall one book --I forget which-- has you throw the Celtic Cross differently depending on which way the significator faces. If it faces front or right, the right side of the cross is future, while it is on the left if the sig faces left.