Cardinal virtue of Wisdom/Prudence

smleite

About the mirror Prudence holds in her hand: don’t forget about the word reflection, as meaning both a mirror image, and careful consideration on a subject.

Silvia

Yatima

In an interesting finding (www7.ocn.ne.jp/~elfindog/Enotg1.htm), roppo has shown that the identification of the cardinal virtues with the three archangels could have been furthered the omission of prudence from the Tarot (see the thread: "An Essay on Tarot's Flemish Origin by Roppo"). It is the ivory plague of the Bible of Notger (Curtius Museum, Liege) between 990 and 1170 (www7.ocn.ne.jp/~elfindog/ntger.jpg). It shows Christ triumphant throned over the globe, holding the book of life in a mandorla, surrounded by the four living beings – all quite like as in the TdM-like World. Also we find the four rivers of the apocalyptic paradise and the three archangels Gabriel, Michael, and Raphael (the Church as accepted only these three because only these names were given in the Bible).

Again, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, prudence and wisdiom are not the same! We don’t find prudence, but we do find wisdom! They are not the same, since prudence is a virtue, but wisdom is the Logos himself. Sophia herself would be Christ triumphant – and this is readily depicted in the World card. But now, we do understand why prudence (as angel!) is missing, while Wisdom (as God the Logos) is present; it is the center of the whole eschatological process and its aim: Christ triumphant - the (eschatological) World.

Yatima

Fulgour

dear prudence

Given the overall nature of the Tarot, isn't it possible that
none of the cardinal virtues are actually being depicted?
Looking at the individual cards, considering them singly,
they represent much more than socially approved norms.

(Edited to add) Norm: An ideal standard binding upon members
of a group and serving to guide, control, or regulate proper and
acceptable behaviour. Merriam-Webster

jmd

It is indeed possible that none of the cardinal virtues are directly being represented as such. It is also quite likely that they indeed are, not solely because of the titles attached to the cards (Justice, Strength, and Temperance), but also because these did form part of important reflections from ancient times right through to the Renaissance (and also in ongoing ways in esoteric environments).

Personally, I do not consider either the cardinal virtues nor the 'theological' ones (Charity/Love, Hope and Faith) to be nor to represent socially determined or approved norms, but rather something far more spiritually intrinsically fundamental - of course, any arguments I may present on this can easily be discarded by those who may see the foundations of either morality or, indeed, the world, as physical and social construct.

I also do take the point about the various aspects and sharp disctinctions which Aristotle makes in, especially, the Nichomacian Ethics and in the Politics - though I must also admit to Aristotle not being my strong point.

Taking the distinction between phronesis and Sophia, it is also the case that the former is at the service of the latter, and that if the latter is depicted in the 'upper' areas of the cards, one would likewise expect the former to be depicted in the earlier sequence. In terms of aristotelian thought, it would seem to me that the most likely depiction of phronesis is with the Emperor - though there again it may be that yet another aspect of wisdom, at the service of Sophia, is even more implied in the Emperor: that of politike.

Even with Aristotle, however, Sophia may be considered knowledge of the 'most honourable things', and thus 'easily' connected, again, with the Hermit, whose reflections lead him to that state of sophia as philosophical wisdom, rather than that grand state to be achieved by the Fool as beholder of the sublimity of the World-Sophia image.

Fulgour

But, if the cards are defined by their titles, what then are they really?
I do see the virtues, and many wonderful things represented, and
cherish their presence. Just sometimes it seems to be taken too literally.
If the Tarot is a well, it is deep, and each traveller must fill their own cup.

jmd

I am in total agreement with you, Fulgour.

...and their titles are not, in my view, their defining characteristic.

Fulgour

jmd said:
...and their titles are not, in my view, their defining characteristic.
And happily so, how well I know. As for Sophia, you will find her there
on the left, card six, on a mission from her mistress. La Papess has placed
a crown of laurel upon her, for her gift is to offer an impossible choice.

Huck

Re: dear prudence

Fulgour said:
Given the overall nature of the Tarot, isn't it possible that
none of the cardinal virtues are actually being depicted?
Looking at the individual cards, considering them singly,
they represent much more than socially approved norms.

(Edited to add) Norm: An ideal standard binding upon members
of a group and serving to guide, control, or regulate proper and
acceptable behaviour. Merriam-Webster

The 14 cards of Bembo of didn't have cardinal virtues - beside Iustitia (but it is in doubt, if the designer had Iustitia in his mind). The Boiardo-deck knows virtues, but others (10 virtues against 10 vices and a fundamental pair "folly - strength" as first and last).

Boiardo:
http://trionfi.com/0/j/d/boiardo/
http://www.geocities.com/autorbis/boiardo.html

But there is only small doubt, that the 6 added cards included cardinal virtues, and very clear is it with the Minchiate composition.

Ross G Caldwell

Of course, the virtues are never *just* some virtues - a finger waving sermon saying "don't cheat, be strong when life is hard, and don't drink too much". They are the key to the classical and medieval inner life, at least for thinking, reading and writing people - the only people any of us can really know about.

The subject is among the richest in literature - I consider it a lost yoga of the west.

Start with reading Aquinas - google gives a lot under "aquinas" and "virtues" -

http://www.nd.edu/~afreddos/courses/406/virtue.htm

Parzival

Cardinal virtue

I like the virtues referred to as a "lost yoga of the west." They sound like passive nouns but are the soul refining itself or denying its own inherent need to refine itself. The four cardinal virtues go back to Pythagoras and Plato and continue through the neoplatonists , medieval Christians , and on into modern ethics. I think the Hermit is prudence in the sense of discernment, seeing through time into eternity. In the grail epic of Wolfram, early twelfth century, the hermit Trevrizent reveals much of the mystery of the grail-- in the 9th chapter out of 16, in the exact middle of the manuscripts (same number of lines before the chapter as after.) This was a popular story . This might be more than coincidence. Anyway, the hermit Trevrizent is the wise old seer who has conquered his desires and appetites, yet he teaches moderation.