Gonna learn Thoth if it kills me - Minors

nicky

9 of Wands - Moon in Sagittarius -

Moon Moon Moon... and toss in some fire ...fire that has moved down to Yesod, so quite stable that far down on the tree. At this point the wands are at the last harrah ...after he nines things get overdone.. just like a charcoal briquette in this suit.

Scion

Moon cold/wet, Sagittarius hot/dry... The Moon is sort of "rode hard and put away wet." And the Decan indications for it are rough.

The Hermetis refers to an ichneumon in the decan image. An ichneumon (literally “tracker”) is a type of Egyptian weasel that eats crocodile eggs! Rewards snatched from dangerous sources. So where does the positive stuff (Strength) come from? Well, the Dragon’s Tail (the Moon’s South node) is exalted here. Traditionally, the South node is seen as a Malefic. I think this is one of the reasons Crowley uses the image of refugees fleeing their homeland. This strength is hard-won and hard-tested.

nicky

I had the feeling this card is sort of like a power cable that has been whipping around in the wind and then reattached... energy not as strong but more efficient and stable.

Scion

That's a great image! Vivid and specific.

For me it always makes me think of refugee camps. Bare minimum, but very appreciative of the minimum that's there. Now your image has joined mine, so it's sort of a refugee camp in a sandstorm. Rough but survivable.

nicky

10w

The Thoth 10 of Wands seems a tad easier to bear than the RWS at first glance...then you notice the heavy lead bars laying over any energy that could have been left by Sagittarius. Of course Saturn has already done most of the job of patting down the flames. As mentioned in the Book T, Malkuth is not connected with the rest of the Sephiroth, which could explain why all the 10s seem so unreal. The rest of the tree is of course there but not clearly represented at this point. In the case of wands/fire it could certainly imply burnout.

Nicky

nicky

Princess of Wands. Our princess appears to not have the tiger by the tail.. it is more the other way around.. and although the tigers tail appears to wrap her around the throat, as though ready to tug her back, the energy she is clearly riding (creating?) prevents the tiger from stopping our flaming maiden of fire. She appears to be floating upward in the same way paper will fly upward when you are at a campfire and have tossed anything paper in the flames...they will rise on fire like the princess on this card... careful they can burn you ...

nicky

WTF of wands

Ok so for the last who knows how long I always translated the Thoth courts to the RWS system (which is where I was coming from) as :

RWS -> Thoth
page=princess
knight=prince
queen=queen
king=knight

Now, actually studying the Thoth card, it looks like I may have it arse backward. The Thoth Prince appears visually at least to be more like the King... so I pulled out the Thoth Knight and he looks like my RWS Knight...argh... and so on with all the courts as I looked through the deck. This completely cluster-youwknowhats my brain.

I realize I should not be using one deck to define the other, but I have to think they all sprang from some similar template at least with the GD background of the creators...

Soooooo since I have already use associations with the mutable, cardinal, fixed qualities (at least they work for me) and elemental as well so I am now convinced to change my system:

RWS -> Thoth
page=princess
knight=knight
queen=queen
king=prince

so next card for me is going to be the knight of wands... back to the drawing board...

thorhammer

Nicky, have you read BoT on the Courts? If you give it time, read it slowly and (I found) in conjunction with the discussion of the Fool, you start to come around to AC's way of thinking about the Courts. I've found that they make more sense to me than the RWS ones, hands-down. Mind you, I did a lot of work with the Wheel of Change courts. That deck purports to follow the Thoth loosely, but the (feminist) author switched Knight and Queen, and Prince and Princess, in the order.

The thing that my IDS with the WoC did teach me about the Courts was to begin thinking of them in terms of their elements:

Knight of Cups -> Fiery part of Water

Queen of Disks -> Watery part of Earth

Prince of Wands -> Airy part of Fire

Princess of Swords -> Earthy part of Air

Admittedly, I still have the utmost of trouble with the Thoth Princesses. Thrones of what-now???? Ugh. But maybe the above will give you a springboard?

\m/ Kat

nicky

similia: thanks..that website is really helpful :)

kat: I have read it over and over LOL. Actually, reading DuQuette's book helped a lot as well. I do resonate with the idea of the new blood of the knights coming in to revitalize and shacking up with the queen .. the issue is undoing the RWS mindset. Thoth's system is much more feminist in my opinion...or should I say balanced.

I get all befuddled with the YHVH stuff, and the geographic correspondences, but I am setting that off to the side with the color scales which are sitting in the back of my head to be explored later :)