Legend: The Perfect Bag and/or Box

Sophie-David

I have my eye on the perfect bag for my Legend deck. I live about 140 km away from the nearest Tarot shop (most of it via a mountain road), and since all of British Columbia, except for the strip of west coast Vancouver Island where I live, is under ice and snow I'm going to have to wait. There is also the possibility that either my son or daughter has bought me this perfect bag already - we haven't been able to get together for Christmas yet because of the weather and our respective jobs.

However I end up acquiring this bag, it is pleasant enough to dream about. A black bag with a green Celtic knot, with tassles hanging from the bottom. My wife already gifted me the box for it, a handmade wooden box painted in dark cyan, with gold coloured Celtic knots weaving their way around the sides and top. I have attached a picture of the Celtic box on top of my purple-blue velvet reading cloth (which I call the "fabric if the Inner Beloved" - it is the backdrop to the dagger and rose on the title page of my Web site).

Attachments

• CelticGreenBox.jpg
    CelticGreenBox.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 318

Shade

Tarot totes has many different bags available that would work, the Merlin vs. Morgan Le Fey bag pictured on this page s displayed with the legend deck.

http://www.tarottotes.com/item.asp?iid=68

I think that the majority of bags from this site are unlined and thus too thin to completely protect the deck, however, since you'd be keeping the whole affair in a box you should be just fine in that regard.

WalesWoman

Oh Goodie! Thanks for starting this thread David, I bartered some of my art cards for my perfect bag for this deck. It's dark jade green crushed velvet with two gold Celtic looking filigree "thingys" sewn on the front, they are a cross between Celtic and Medeival, which is so much what Legends is about, that crossroads in time, between one way and another. The lining is silk, with subtle blacks, grays, greens, golds and rusts in a pattern that reminds me of the woods, sort of like twigs and leaves. It's the first bag I've ever got on purpose for using to put any of my decks in...I'd been using a Guatamalan cloth cigarette case before this, but the flap wouldn't close completely.

lunalafey

oooo-
I know how important it is to me to have the perfect bag for a favorite deck.
I had a hard time finding bags I liked and that really fit the deck (like in size mostly, but character as well)
My legends deck was one of the first decks to get a matching bag.
I used a soft cotton valour that is near the same color as the cards backs. On the inside, or outside, depending on my mood, I have a brick colored fabric patterned with acorns with oak leaves. I accented the top with a gold batik. My deck fits all nice and cozy.

Attachments

• bleged.jpg
    bleged.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 259
  • inlegendshome.JPG
    inlegendshome.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 263

Grigori

I was the same as you. I had in my mind the perfect bag, but couldn't find one similar anywhere. I wanted heavy rusty red fabric, with a subtle pattern and black silk lining. Ferrous from http://shop.wiccked.com/ was really helpful, and made up a bag to my specifications, and now I have exactly what I wanted (plus the bag has a great pocket hidden in the lining to store bits and pieces).

(Unfortunately I now forsee a future of collecting not only tarot cards and books, but also bags to match!)

PS I really like the backs on Legend. Very nice indeed.

Pictures of my bag!! Doesn't look as richly red as it does in person, but still very nice.
http://shop.wiccked.com/archives/gallery/silk_velvet_and_vines/index.php

inanna_tarot

Oh my! What beautiful bags and what a gorgeous box David! My humble little knitted bag is pretty rather than beautiful, but I think knitting it (and experimenting with 4 needles!) made me connect a little to the times of the deck. Also, I have a feeling that it fits the deck, like Guenevere or maybe one of her ladies in waiting would have commented on my fine stitching and been pleased that I'm becoming increasingly creative lol.
My other favourite reading deck, the Robin Wood however, seems far more 'masculine' than the Legend. I tried putting it in a bag but they kept falling out :p So its in the box it came with with a hair band to keep it all safe. My Marseilles deck is the same, liking to rough it out in my bag :p

LunaLeFey, is your deck slightly battered? Or is it just the light shining on the back of the cards? I havent used a deck so much its got worn yet (though I've had a few LWBs get in the way of a knocked over cup of tea!).

This deck is definately a 'girl' deck for bags and lots of TLC :)

Sezo
x

Sophie-David

Thank you for the online refs. Shade and Similia. It would be nice to support an Aeclectic member when buying, so I will consider that in the future. But I also like to keep my business local if I can, or at least in-province if it can't be local. However I wasn't too impressed by customer service in the New Age shop I was referring to that has my perfect bag, and the prices were just a bit too high, even allowing for the shop being in a rural area. But I think I'd like to give them another chance if I can.

The box however is remarkable for its price and quality. Only $15 Canadian for a handmade box, about $10 cheaper than most mass-produced boxes. I assumed at first that this was because it was done with foreign labour, since these boxes come from an Indonesian Import shop in Nanaimo (2-1/2 hours by car). But it turns out they are made in Canada, in the Nanaimo area. I already have the burgundy version of this Celtic box for my Connolly and will probably buy the remaining colour that he makes, black with the gold Celtic knots. The boxes are deep enough for two decks inside, but they have to be the smaller width decks like Connolly or Legend.

RedMaple

What a beautiful box! I hope you get it for your Legend. Do you use your decks mainly at home? I have a couple of larger decks that I keep in wooden boxes, but I like to be able to take my decks with me, so I mostly prefer bags.

Right now, the Legend is temporarily living in a black bag that came with my Buddha deck. Before that, they were in the box they came in, but since Morgan escaped, I've decided they needed a more secure place to live. :)

I will progbably make a bag for my deck. Because this seems such a lunar deck, I am thinking of something silvery with blues and greens in it.

lunalafey

inanna_tarot said:
LunaLeFey, is your deck slightly battered? Or is it just the light shining on the back of the cards?

It's a well used and quite old deck; got it when it was first published.
There are some rubbed spots on the backs, but there is probably a little glare from the camera.

ferrous

similia said:
I was the same as you. I had in my mind the perfect bag, but couldn't find one similar anywhere. I wanted heavy rusty red fabric, with a subtle pattern and black silk lining. Ferrous from http://shop.wiccked.com/ was really helpful, and made up a bag to my specifications, and now I have exactly what I wanted (plus the bag has a great pocket hidden in the lining to store bits and pieces).

(Unfortunately I now forsee a future of collecting not only tarot cards and books, but also bags to match!)

PS I really like the backs on Legend. Very nice indeed.

Pictures of my bag!! Doesn't look as richly red as it does in person, but still very nice.
http://shop.wiccked.com/archives/gallery/silk_velvet_and_vines/index.php
I'm really pleased you're so happy with the bag, similia. :)