Baroque Bohemian Cats Tarot

baba-prague

Burden or blessing?

Hmmm - nice question. I think it's both. I mean, the problem is that you can end up simply going round in circles. Also, you can
get caught up in trying to please everyone, and I strongly believe that in art and design you shouldn't do that - it ends up looking "designed by committee" and bland. In the end, it has to be about doing what you feel works - even if not everyone agrees (which doesn't mean ignoring opinion, it means listening to it then trying to take an honest judgement on it - even where that's difficult).

I envy you in a way because you paint your cards. Alex has been talking for two years about going back to painting at some stage, and I really see the attraction. Though I believe some of the "greats" used to work and rework their paintings - so maybe it's not so different really!

But there is a temptation to overwork too. I just suggested changing one cat, and Alex said "Why, she is absolutely right?" and I realised I just wanted to play around and see other possibilities - so you have to know when to say "No, that's it".

To be honest, I only feel that about four or five cards right now. But the final alterations to make them finally feel "right" can vary from major to tiny. It seems to be when you have almost all 78 that you can go back and make these small changes (often it's light and colour balance and things like that). I do welcome the way the computer does let you do that.

By the way, Catdoc, I think you are really not right to say you might not have done your deck if BBCtarot had been available. I think what you're doing is so different - and so valuable - that it should be done no matter what. This whole idea of showing the behaviour of cats is just very interesting - and will make a deck that will be quite unlike anything else.

Ten of Wands? LOL, I just wrote in my book "NO cat takes on too much - dragging bags full of cat food home from the shops is strictly for the humans!"

skytwig

When I studied with Will Wilson , one thing he used to tell us was that we will never think the painting is done. That at some point we just have to STOP!

And that is so true. I can look at any art work that I've done and see things in it I want to rework.

In order to grow, we have to let go!

I hesitate to add comments, Karen.... I don't want to send you into a tizzy.... these cards are absolutely splendid!!! They really are.

Please take our observations with as much indifference as you need.... don't take them as criticisms because I think we are here to support you. Consider the comments, but don't take them in..... Really, the comments to respond to are the ones that excite you... you know the ones that help inspire......

Anything that stirs a negative response or a worry probably would be best ignored!!!

:) skytwig (I am here to help you, not hinder you :) )

HudsonGray

The brick on the High Priestess is too confining, they're right. But with that hooded cloak you can't put thick treetrunks behind or it'll look like little red (blue) riding hood. How would a long alleyway look behind her with those pillars framing it? Some sort of back alley with side doors & cobblestone streets?

lunakasha

Hey Karen!

All of this talk about the 8 of swords has gotten me excited to give it another look...but I can't seem to find it!

Does anyone know which page it is on???

Thanks bunches!
:) Luna

baba-prague

skytwig said:
:) skytwig (I am here to help you, not hinder you :) )

Don't worry - but thank-you. You know if I go quiet from time to time it's partly that I'm on cat-watch (still no kittens, but really has to be this weekend) and partly that responding to each idea in detail probably isn't that productive - for anyone - as in the end the response needs to be done visually, not verbally. It doesn't mean that we aren't responding.

I think it's best to take comments in, and then at some time (and like I say, we only go back over cards when the time seems right - eg we have reworked King of Swords but will leave The Tower for quite some time) just unveil (pun intended?) the new versions of some cards.

Alex and I pretty much follow our own instincts and experience - all our artist friends here were aghast at the very idea of this project (it is far from the type of work most serious Russian artists do :) ) and we happily ignored them and got on with it. Now there is some interest - one or two of them may even come to "get" the work. So we aren't too phased by criticism.

But whatever, we probably won't be able to put all 78 cards up here as sooner or later we'll have to at least mostly switch to our own website - otherwise this thread will be too unwieldy. So - get your comments in nowish please (the site is taking ages - but it is getting there).

Skytwig I'd like to ask you more about your training, but maybe I should pm if that makes more sense? Lots to ask!

_____
edited to say - it's here

http://www.tarotofprague.com/cats/c_8swrd_small.jpg

Astra

I spend a day goofing off, and new stuff appears! On the High Priestess - my first thought was "the robe's too dark, you can't see the cat" and my second thought was "that's the whole point, dummy!" The aura of mystery inside the hood is really neat. And - is that someone's miniature Book of Hours the cat is holding? I kept trying to read it....

lunakasha

RE: 8 of Swords

Thanks Karen!

I don't remember seeing her before...how did I miss this one??? This is a lovely card, and it really does convey the meaning of the card very clearly. Her face....just perfect!

What's the latest on the kittens, BTW...are you a grammie yet?

:) Luna/Karen

catdoc

skytwig said:

I can look at any art work that I've done and see things in it I want to rework.

Have to agree with this statement, skywig.

Watercolor tends to be particularly unforgiving. If I don't stop fiddling with an image at the end I will spoil it for sure. Still, sometimes just a little change makes a huge improvement.....

I guess no matter the medium artistic expression is a process which continues to engage our interest because there is always something that we would do just a bit differently the next time.

Deb

baba-prague

We have kittens

Don't be surprised if no card goes up today (though Strength is almost done) as Minnie produced her first kitten at dawn today and finished - with the fifth - at around 10 am. She got very worried if I left her so I am a bit tired having sat through all. She managed just fine though.

Our poor little Lotte was terrified though. Watched one birth then went into the corner of the room and was sick! (first time she has ever been sick). Then went and hid behind a cupboard for some hours. She reminded me of a teenager going "Oh, GROSS" - very funny in a way.

The rather amazing news is that the kittens are quite spectacular looking, which we didn't expect. One is a normal brown tabby (like his/her mum - haven't handled them to check who is who yet) but the other four are black and white tabbies - one is a real beauty who looks a little like a feline zebra. Quite a surprise - and with such gorgeous looks I hope it will be comparatively easy to find them good homes when the time comes.

So - we are tired but very pleased. Minnie has literally not stopped purring - she is going to be a very good mum.

Le_Corsair

Outstanding, Karen! Don't forget to post pictures when Minnie allows it!

Bob :THERM