Pros and Cons Thread #3 - Enabling and De-Enabling

DaughterOfDanu

Starchild Tarot

I get the urge to pick up a copy of this deck every now and then. I love pastels, love galaxy/cosmic patterns as well but what holds me back is how hipster/trendy/shallow this deck appears. It may be because I mostly read with RWS based decks. I have no issue with unillustrated pips or less illustrated cards like with the Wild Unknown Tarot, but I worry the lack of action in the cards will deter me from using them much. From the images I've looked at, the scenes in the cards are very still, not a lot going on aside from models posing.

Looking for both de-enabling and enabling (If you truly do love the deck and think it's worth the cost)

EmpyreanKnight

The Vampires Tarot of the Eternal Night

Well, since I've been on a buying spree lately. . .

I wonder what most of the guys here think about The Vampires Tarot of the Eternal Night deck and book kit? On the positive side: vampires! I'm a sucker (pardon the pun) for dark gothic Tarot decks, and this fits the bill so well. After getting this, I would need only the Bohemian Gothic and the Dracula Tarot and my vampire Tarot sub-collection would be complete. Getting this would sate my completist appetites. And the Barbara Moore companion book! Also, the art style would be a very interesting contrast to my other vampire decks.

The downside is yeah, the very same art style. I've seen some images, and while they are impressive, the fact is that most computer-generated Tarot decks leave me uninspired. I'm sure that if it were otherwise, I would have had the Tarot Illuminati and pre-ordered the Apokalysis, and I do understand their appeal to most, but I personally won't touch them, no offense to anyone. While I have espied some images of the Vampires deck and found them nice, I have seen images of the other Corsi decks and found myself wincing more than a few times.

I guess if I were still in my mad Tarot acquisitions phase, I would have just added this to my buy list, but right now I feel that buying a Tarot deck that would just feel cold and dead (puns everywhere) on my hands would leave me feeling guilty. And I just hate the idea of leaving decks I do not feel a connection with at the back of my closet, since that would be unfair to both them and me. In any-case, this would be the very first digitally illustrated deck I would buy (that I am aware of), aside from the Gilded Reverie Lenormand.

Hope you would help a guy out and give your honest opinion on this deck, specially those who are into dark decks or who are dispassionate towards digital decks, but who eventually bought this. Thanks!

willowy

Well, since I've been on a buying spree lately. . .

I wonder what most of the guys here think about The Vampires Tarot of the Eternal Night deck and book kit? On the positive side: vampires! I'm a sucker (pardon the pun) for dark gothic Tarot decks, and this fits the bill so well. After getting this, I would need only the Bohemian Gothic and the Dracula Tarot and my vampire Tarot sub-collection would be complete. Getting this would sate my completist appetites. And the Barbara Moore companion book! Also, the art style would be a very interesting contrast to my other vampire decks.

The downside is yeah, the very same art style. I've seen some images, and while they are impressive, the fact is that most computer-generated Tarot decks leave me uninspired. I'm sure that if it were otherwise, I would have had the Tarot Illuminati and pre-ordered the Apokalysis, and I do understand their appeal to most, but I personally won't touch them, no offense to anyone. While I have espied some images of the Vampires deck and found them nice, I have seen images of the other Corsi decks and found myself wincing more than a few times.

I guess if I were still in my mad Tarot acquisitions phase, I would have just added this to my buy list, but right now I feel that buying a Tarot deck that would just feel cold and dead (puns everywhere) on my hands would leave me feeling guilty. And I just hate the idea of leaving decks I do not feel a connection with at the back of my closet, since that would be unfair to both them and me. In any-case, this would be the very first digitally illustrated deck I would buy (that I am aware of), aside from the Gilded Reverie Lenormand.

Hope you would help a guy out and give your honest opinion on this deck, specially those who are into dark decks or who are dispassionate towards digital decks, but who eventually bought this. Thanks!

I love vampires too,and gothic style decks,this deck seems from reviews online to be either love or hate deck,so I was unsure when I ordered it too,but personally I really love it,the artwork is beautiful (although yes it is a little similar in most of his decks,but that could be said for a lot of artists,and isn't necessarily a bad thing),a lot of effort seemed to be made so that the images do there best to suit the cards usual meanings,the storage box for cards and book is very solid with magnetic clasp,and the book is great,some spreads are given and each card is given interpretation from different angles,traditional, vampires story,dark approach, light approach, human approach and divinatory meaning.One of my favourite kits you need the book so make sure you get the kit edition,and it's all in English not multiple languages .If I were you I'd check out a video on YouTube to check you like the images first though.

EmpyreanKnight

The Vampires Tarot of the Eternal Night

I love vampires too,and gothic style decks,this deck seems from reviews online to be either love or hate deck,so I was unsure when I ordered it too,but personally I really love it,the artwork is beautiful (although yes it is a little similar in most of his decks,but that could be said for a lot of artists,and isn't necessarily a bad thing),a lot of effort seemed to be made so that the images do there best to suit the cards usual meanings,the storage box for cards and book is very solid with magnetic clasp,and the book is great,some spreads are given and each card is given interpretation from different angles,traditional, vampires story,dark approach, light approach, human approach and divinatory meaning.One of my favourite kits you need the book so make sure you get the kit edition,and it's all in English not multiple languages .If I were you I'd check out a video on YouTube to check you like the images first though.

Thanks for that willowy! Yeah, that was one of the things I noticed that made me tread a little carefully on this deck - it was very polarizing. And oh, yes of course, how can I have forgotten to simply to just check review/preview videos in youtube? I feel like a bit of an ass. Shall do it now, thanks!

feynrir

I get the urge to pick up a copy of this deck every now and then. I love pastels, love galaxy/cosmic patterns as well but what holds me back is how hipster/trendy/shallow this deck appears. It may be because I mostly read with RWS based decks. I have no issue with unillustrated pips or less illustrated cards like with the Wild Unknown Tarot, but I worry the lack of action in the cards will deter me from using them much. From the images I've looked at, the scenes in the cards are very still, not a lot going on aside from models posing.

Looking for both de-enabling and enabling (If you truly do love the deck and think it's worth the cost)

I passed on this one and got the Fountain Tarot instead. No regrets.

The reasons were:

1. Not nearly as "hipstery"
2. Similar color scheme and modern feel
3. Less new age claptrap (Apologies if this kind of eclecticism is up your alley; it's not to my taste.)
4. Cost is much less to someone like myself who lives outside of Canada
5. I admire the rigor of 79 oil paintings just a bit more than digital collage. I'm not saying that digital collage isn't a challenging medium, but I am indeed stating a preference for what I want to look at during a reading and what I feel is more organic and connective. This is completely personal preference.

The Starchild Tarots have their own unique appeal and look, but they simply weren't worth it to me. The Fountain Tarot fits the bill in a similar way and I think will have a longer life as a reading deck; it's not quite as niche. Good luck in your decision :)

Philistine

I passed on this one and got the Fountain Tarot instead. No regrets.

The reasons were:

1. Not nearly as "hipstery"
2. Similar color scheme and modern feel
3. Less new age claptrap (Apologies if this kind of eclecticism is up your alley; it's not to my taste.)
4. Cost is much less to someone like myself who lives outside of Canada
5. I admire the rigor of 79 oil paintings

110% the same reasons I purchased the Fountain.

Somehow, I think the Fountain may be a good choice for analytical-leaning readers, which is a dichotomy if you consider the soft, muted tones of the artwork and the sometimes opaque images. Yet there is certainly a whiff of geometry interlaced with all that muted opaqueness. Also in that same vein, I like that Strength is XI and Justice is VIII.

baconwaffles

This is the thread I was looking for! I need a bit of guidance with decks. My small collection consists of mainly TDM, and I love them all, but I am in search of something a bit different and colorful. I am currently looking for someone to sell me kitty kahane's tarot. I am considering Robert Place's vampire tarot and also DameDarcy's mermaid tarot. Kahane's has turned out tone a bit difficult to find unfortunately. I am looking for a fun-themed deck that breaks the mold. Cartoony, colorful and fun. Suggestions are welcome, I spent a considerable amount of time looking at deck reviews yesterday... 😯

baconwaffles

I did look at sakki sakki, and I do like it, I just feel that it's a second to kitty kahane for me. But honestly getting a kahane delivered from Europe right now is something I am not going to do. Hence my search... I was just watching a review of the third edition of Darcy's mermaid deck, I am kind of leaning towards that... Still a little put off by some cards. Oh gosh... Let me look at sakki sakki review...😮

Nemia

Nobody has a word to say about the Dame of Fortune's Wheel...?