symbolon--SPREADS/DIVINATION

Ravenswing

this is, after all, the purpose of an oracle....

Ravenswing

by the book...

PLEASE-- keep in mind that the cards in the symbolon deck represent persona that we play...

the lwb outlines one basic spread. i usually use five cards for this spread.

rather than external events/situations, the symbolon deck deals with the internal person. it is an adventure in self-discovery, of self-development. a question should be worded with this in mind.

the lwb interpretes each card in three ways:

the first is the problem-- this is the first card of the spread. it will describe the persona that needs working on.

the second is the way through the problem. these are cards 2, 3 and 4. they tell you which portions of yourSelf will assist in unblocking access to the persona of the first card. an outline of the path to tread, so to speak.

the third is the outcome-- what lesson is learned in the process. this is the fifth card in the layout.

just like while learning tarot, i suggest a journal of readings. especially since the approach to questions is so much different than tarot (or, for that matter, any other oracle i've used)

have fun!!!

LVX
steve

Ravenswing

merri's marvelous seal of solomon

creating (or perhaps it is in a way discovering) a new layout is always an exciting enterprise.

i personally use this spread to find the 'meaning' of planets in my natal chart.

the reading is an extended three card spread. the first thing to do is determine what three 'factors' you wish to consider/examine. these can be the past, present, future; you can do a lover's triangle; i do planet, sign and house from my natal.

these factor are dealt out as the upright triangle of the seal of solomon. now, deal out three more cards as the inverted triangle of the seal.

upright triangle

top point-- first factor (1)
right bottom-- second factor (2)
left bottom-- third factor (3)

inverted triangle

bottom point-- relationship between card 2 and card 3
left top-- relationship between card card 1 and card 3
top right-- relationship between card 1 and card 2

this spread can be done with any type deck, not just the symbolon

LVX
steve

Ravenswing

planetary seal of solomon

using the seal of solomon with the symbolon deck to determine the 'total' meaning of natal planets:

first, find the three ARCHETYPES which will represent the planet, its sign, and its house. (see 'who's on first?' page 1, symbolon--ARCHETYPES). place them on the upright triangle in the following manner:

top-- the planet's ARCHETYPE
bottom right-- its sign's ARCHETYPE
bottom left-- its house's ARCHETYPE

the inverted triangle is made of the MINORS derived from the ARCHETYPES which make the upright triangle

bottom point-- the MINOR derived from the sign's ARCHETYPE and the house's ARCHETYPE

top left-- the MINOR derived from the planet's ARCHETYPE and the house's ARCHETYPE

top right-- the MINOR derived from the planet's ARCHETYPE and the sign's ARCHETYPE

read the planetary 'mandala' as you see fit. there are no hard and fast rules here-- intuition only :D

for example, if you have venus in capricorn/ fifth house, the ARCHETYPES are:

venus = THE LOVER

capricorn = THE MASTER

fifth house = THE EGO

so the upright triangle has:

top point: THE LOVER
bottom right: THE MASTER
bottom left: THE EGO

the inverted triangle has:

bottom point: THE BURDEN
top left: THE QUEEN
bottom right: RESPONSIBILITY FOR CREATION

create the seal for each of your planets. it will give you hours of contemplation on your planetary personae

LVX
steve

merri

[No message]

merri

I had such a beautiful reading earlier...

Well I guess I'll be the first to post a full Symbolon reading, I did this one earlier today, and I was soooo in awe of how beautifully it turned out, that I couldn't help wanting to share it here, and also because it relates a little to my last post ***hey wait...don't run away! ...in a nice way!!!*** LOL!.

Btw, my deck literally sings to me!!! LOL! ..sometimes I look at a card and immediately a song starts playing in my head, (which is very frustrating cos sometimes I can't figure out the name of the song or who sings it ..and it bugs the hell out of me!) ..at other times I get a song for the overall reading. This has only just started happening since I've been using the Symbolon. My song here was "When a child is born" by Johnny Mathis :)

I used the 'Star of illumination' spread; (my 'general' version of the 'Rising star').

4 ----------------------5

......Significator.......

1------------------------2

1. Issue/influence
2. issue/influence
3. Outlook on the solution
4. Path to the solution
5. Path to the solution
6. Outcome

Well would you believe, for a 6 card spread ..I drew 4 majors! So the majors in conjunction with each other generated an additional 2 cards ..which I chose to look on as stepping stones.

Before I started I had already chosen "The Strategist" as a significator for the spread, as the image is evocative for me of the significant life losses I spoke of, ..this card was also my 'integration' card on the 'Rising star' spread based on my birth chart.

My Question; What would be the best strategy to help me move forward from the present position in my life?

Center card / The significator; "The Strategist" shows me considering my position in relation to the people in my life ..and also to those who have been taken out of the game (so to speak!).

Card 1./ Issue/influence; "The Wedding" this card is telling me that part of the problem at present is that I'm seeking my sense of security in life in relation to others ..instead of creating a sense of security within myself.

Card 2./ Isuue/influence; "The Jester" In spite of the fact that I usually love this cheery chap and his unconventional ways ..in this context I consider his presence to reflect me lacking a sense of belonging through loss of kin, thus leading to feeling like an outsider in my own life. One of the Jester's key words however is 'Deliverer' and in this position he forms a conjunction with the outcome card which just so happens to be "The Mother" thus generating the addition of the card "Deliverance" (how COOL is this system???!!!) ..indicating that a crucial step between the issue and the outcome is in leaving an environment of security in order to follow the path of individuation.

Card 3./ Outlook on the Solution; "The Angel" The rainbow and the golden bowl here seem to confirm that this path is a process leading to an alchemical transformation of sorts, and holds the promise of the journey being spiritually rewarding.

Card 4./ Path to the solution; "The Preacher" Here I am admonished to have faith, and to try to adopt a philosophical outlook and develop an inner attitude of serenity by getting in touch with my inner therapist, (or a worldy one who can act as a mirror ...the symbolon?!?). The preacher here forms a conjunction with the the 'outlook on the solution' card, "The Angel" ..generating the addition of "Pythia" as a step towards the solution ..given that Pythia is 'the priestess of the oracle' ..this may be affirming that the symbolon is indeed a perfect mirror by which my intuition can help me reflect in a more positive way on these life/death issues which can ultimately lead to spiritual development on my path of 'in'dependance.

Card 5./ Path to the solution; "Fortuna" The shower of blessings in this image, reminds me of St Therese of Lisieux's famed quote; "After my death I will rain down a shower of roses". - A reminder here maybe that life's painful pruning can lead to abundant fruit on the path of spiritual growth. The interpretation in the lwb urges, "..having confidence along the way that you will be guided by everything 'Good' in the heavens", and states "The Heavens are your therapy". Well with that, I can't help but remember many times in the past when I've derived such deep sustenance from an optimism inspired by trust in Divine guidance, as well as from such spiritual gifts as; intuition, inspiration, insight, etc.

Card 6./ The outcome; "The Mother" Wow!!! ..the direct interpretation from the lwb for this card in this position, stands in direct contrast to the issue cards; "You reach a homeland of your own, return home to your feelings..." "You find security in yourself"!!!!!! The shower of blessings from the previous card has gathered and arranged itself into a crowning halo of illumination (..maybe all my symbolon readings paying off! ;)) ..I find an ultimate sense of belonging in the awareness of being held in heaven's embrace, and in being intimately connected with the universal unconscious along with my own feelings and emotional/intuitive nature. I guess I learn how to nurture self reliance and inner security by drawing sustenance from Spirit/Faith.

While interpreting the outcome card for this reading, I suddenly started singing, "This comes to pass....when a child is born" ..yeah, I know it's an obvious choice seeing that the outcome is "The Mother" card, ..but I think it's msg may have been more of an exhortation/reminder not to count my chickens before they've hatched.

I found this whole reading uplifting and inspiring! :)

I know that posting readings is a little tricky because of their personal content, but I can't wait to read some symbolon readings done by others. I guess there are always safer questions to ask!

merrily.. merrily.. merrily.. merrily ...life is but a dream! :D

truthsayer

merri said:
PPs. Truthsayer, can you help me decide which house system to use on my birth chart ..my planets etc. change depending on whether I use the equal house or another 2 that my computer program has!? :confused:
merri

merri, i wish i could say i understood house systems. i plug the info in and see what comes up. i think it's at astroamerica.com you can test every house system and compare what seems to fit the best. i don't think even professional astrologers can agree what's the best house system. even tho i may seem to have a pretty good handle here, i only do astrology intuitively. aquarian goddess is really great at this kind of thing. if i'm not mistaken there is a thread covering your question in the astrology section if you check the archives out.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((merri))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) i'm so sorry you are having it rough. honestly, it's okay to unburden yourself here. everyone needs to talk about things sometime or another just to maintain a facsimile of sanity. if you look around the forum long enough i'm sure you'll find one of these by me. 36 is young to have so much pain and loss. i don't understand why this has happened to you. since symbolon practically sings to you then i suggest you use it as a tool for healing. journal your readings and make connections. if you'd like me to help you make symbolons w/ your astro chart i'd be happy to. i can tell you that the symbolons i drew from my birthchart were so dead on that it totally creeped me out. i'm almost scared to get a progressed chart and see what's going on now!

i think one of the nice things about divination whether tarot or symbolon is that it invites us to just be honest w/ each other and just spill the beans. just try to do the things that will help merri find her place back to the path. we all have a shadow side. i know i do. take care of you.

merri

(((((((Truthsayer))))))))

Thanks so much for your kindness and for taking the time to write that, now I'm sitting here smiling with my heart all glowing. :D
It's so scary whenever I express anything personal like that cos my immediate response on waking up the next day is one of panic, (like.. what have I done???) ..followed by the urge to go delete it asap ..but I wouldn't let myself today, (kind of as an act of commitment towards allowing myself expression) *taking the advice of the "articulation" card* ;) ..so I just did my reading instead. I appreciate you saying it was ok though ..and yes sometimes it's about stopping from going mad with everything cooped up in my own head.

I'm gonna use the search to try to find the thread on the astro houses ..but I'm sure the intuitive way works best anyway ..at least for personal choice of the system to use. I'll just go with whatever gives me the most positive report then. ;) *just joking*

LOL! I know what you mean re. the accuracy at times being spooky, I had promised to do a birth chart reading for my friend ..but when I laid out the cards they were waaay too close to home on a certain issue of hers that I was already aware of ..so I wouldn't type it up for her as promised. I'd say the symbolon is not the most subtle of decks when it comes to getting the message across ..it comes through loud and clear. That is of course also why I love it so much! ..sometimes we need loud and clear to be able to hear ..especially in cases of willful deafness! ;)

merri

truthsayer

merri,
i can empathize about your anxiety about posting your feelings. sharing can be a scarey thing. particularly if you have few people or none to share what's going on in your head. there are quite a few support groups dedicated to dealing with grief at yahoo or other websites. i've gone to internet support groups myself when i've needed the support of people who had had similar experiences. i think if you do this you'll find that you aren't alone. sometimes just to know you aren't the only one helps a lot. what helps even more is hearing from people all over the world who are going thru similar experiences. you have to bear in mind that not all these groups are healthy for me and you may need to shop around until you find the right one. pm or email me if you'd like more help with this.

as far as house systems go, i'm pretty sure i don't use equal houses because the heavens aren't divided equally among the signs. unless you want to really get complicated, there's no need to use the houses in the symbolon. it's more important to make connections with conjunctions, squares, oppositions, and trines between the planets in the chart. i think the sign for the ascendant-rising sign and midheaven are fairly important. to a lesser degress the nadir(bottom of chart) and the descendant. once i started matching things up it was pretty incredible how things linked together. whoever designed the symbolon had to have a deep ingrained understanding of astrology and archetypes to come up w/ symbols that are so startlingly accurate.

what's also interesting is if you have an astro chart of someone else and pick a few things that you both have in common. my mother and i share some cards that are so stunningly accurate in terms of themes in our relationship that i have felt too shook up to use the deck in the last few days. this is the only deck i've come across that doesn't spare the punches when it comes to being brutally honest. none of my tarot decks are this honest. next i need to look at my husband's chart. that should be a real trip!

Ravenswing

merry merri again

hi there--
i've been away, you've been away...

welcome back. and i'm glad you find us all trustworty.

as usual, you've skyrocketed with the speads/divination. seems this deck really DOES work for you.

funny you should mention singing. when i was a little kid and my mother's companion, she'd answer a lot of questions i asked with a piece of a song. so you can understand how wonderful i feel that you're getting some of the same.

i'll be in and out a lot over the next few days. i went on vacation. which meant i got four days to immerse myself.

LVX
steve