Titles in Italian? (another question)

blackroseivy

Haha! Yep, "13" being the "unlucky" #...

The crowned one

Ross G Caldwell said:
Forgot to add -

it is *very* anachronistic to call a card "La Torre". This title occurs, I believe, only in the late 18th century, as a translation of the French titles for cards made in Bologna for the Milanese or Piedmontese market (the same goes for "Gli Amanti" - it was always "Love" not "Lovers" in Italian, until the 18th century).

I'll have to check to get the exact date, but it is late and is not really a native Italian title. Their titles for this card were "Fuoco", "Sagitta", and "Casa" (del Diavolo, del danato, or di Plutone). Casa is I suppose the closest to "Tower".

Ross

I tossed it in there for a *bonus* Alternative name... And you say "anachronistic" as if that is a bad thing ;) I think the title is a bit more recognized then just that. I can think of a few decks using "La Torre" but lets not stray too far from the path of this post :D

Attachments

• la-torre.jpg
    la-torre.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 116

annika334

Yes, nobody wanted to use the name "Morte" (Death), therefore Tredici (the number on the card) or "L'Arcano senza Nome" i.e. the card without name.

philebus

Was not the hanged man known at the traitor in Italy?

annika334

Yes, he was!

Ross G Caldwell

The crowned one said:
I tossed it in there for a *bonus* Alternative name... And you say "anachronistic" as if that is a bad thing ;) I think the title is a bit more recognized then just that. I can think of a few decks using "La Torre" but lets not stray too far from the path of this post :D

No problem with anachronism! (especially the "creative" kind ;) ).

I just took Bri's interest to be in the *earliest* attested names.

The card you show is a Piedmontese one, I believe.

Ross

blackroseivy

Right, right - I'll take the early ones as long as I know WHICH the heckie-poo CARDZ they go to!! :p Thanx for your help, everyone, VERY much appreciated!! :D

venicebard

Ross G Caldwell said:
The earliest full list of French names is the short booklet on the rules of Tarot from 1637 (and still preserves the Italian "Bagat" as a title for trump I).
What I would give to see that! (even if I had to translate it myself!)

Lleminawc

just`for interest, Brian Williams used a couple of variant titles for his Renaissance Tarot:

XII L'Impiccato
XVII Le Stelle (plural)
XX L'Angelo

kwaw

venicebard said:
What I would give to see that! (even if I had to translate it myself!)

REGLES DV IEV DES TAROTS 1637

http://www.tarock.info/depaulis.htm...g/files/ENTERTAINMENT/Tarot-Crd-Ruls-art.html