Book about Knights...

Hooked on TdM

I browse the history sections of bookstores whenever I'm in them. You just never know what you might find!

Well today I found "The Historical Atlas of Knights and Castles" by Dr. Ian Barnes, The Rise and Fall of the Age of Chivalry. It's HUGE. Won't fit in my bookcase, so looks like it became my first and only coffee table book. I got it for a steal (50% off.)

I figured a nice historical study of Knights, Castles, medieval wars, and the Courts would help greatly in understanding The Courts and the Majors (some of them anyways.)

Anyone else have this book? What do you think of it? Know of any similar type books you think would be beneficial for learning the indepth history?

Hooked

Bernice

Sorry - not got it. Sounds a GOOD buy!

I only have two books found in a second-hand shop that have proved very basically helpful. They are:

Colour, The Art of it's Uses:
It gives examples of the different 'colours' used historically and in other lands. i.e: Chinese, Greek, Roman, Middle Ages, 18th century etc. So when you see old paintings/images it gives some idea of the period/place.

A First Look at Heraldry: (kiddie book1973 :))
Good, 'cos it clearly and simply describes and names all the heraldic devices plus the colourings. Also includes odd snippets of interesting information. I.E. Cinderellas 'glass slipper' probably wasn't 'glass'. The french "verre" (glass) was most likey to have originally been "vair" (fur) - squirrel fur (!). Makes you stop and think about how translations lead us up the wrong path! And this does have a bearing on the Tarot.

One of the devices in this book is the Crossed Keys of St. Peter (Papess - Pope, depending on the deck). Unfortunately because it's a kids book it doesn't have a variety of Eagles - just St Johns one. Its faces left (sinister) with open wings (not fanned broadly), with a halo over it's head. Not in the Tarot as far as I can see looking through the decks I've got.

Bee

Hooked on TdM

Thanks Bee! I will keep a look out for those. They sound really interesting (kid books are good.. lol nice and easy!)

Hooked