Housewives tarot - the love is not there folks

Miss Divine

It's a cute novelty deck that sits and sits on my shelf, unused!

Rhinemaiden

I have it, I like it, not tops on my most used list, but I'm glad it's in my collection. Ditto the Zombie tarot. Guess I'm a sucker for the presentation and packaging.

Laura Borealis

I don't see a gap between the majors and minors, myself. Most of the minors stick closely to RWS themes. There are a few that go off on their own tangent, which is fine. There's always something going on in the card, some little story that suggests itself. It's not like decks with unillustrated pips.

The majors, well, some of them are clever. But I don't see them as deep. An old-fashioned radio as the Hierophant? A jello Tower? Haha, cute. Deep it is not, though. Any depth comes from the reader's skill (and to be honest that is true of most decks, in my opinion). I don't think they're MEANT to be deep. It's a theme deck and it doesn't take itself that seriously.

I do like this deck; I like kitschy midcentury stuff in general. I used to collect vintage cookbooks (I have pared my collection down but still have several) and I have some retro glasswear and stuff like that. So it fits in with that set of interests, for me.

It's not a deck I study, though, or one I read with a lot (though I love shuffling with it).

Morwenna

I like it. To begin with, I'm not just looking back at "retro" for the sake of doing so; I lived it. I was there. And I can see the point to almost all these cards, majors and minors, very clearly, including the satire in them. (In fact, they sometimes remind me of some of the contemporary-at-the-time satires of daily life in Mad.) And I never saw any difference in depth (as it were) between the majors and minors. Agreed, it's not a deck for deep spiritual matters; its milieu is the practical.

Carla

Has anyone else have this happen? Did you manage to work through it, or did the deck end up unused or traded? Am I the only person in the world who doesn't feel enthused by it?

Yes, I had it happen. I bought it because I thought it would be kitsch and wonderful. I hated it and traded it almost instantly.

cosita

It's a cute novelty deck that sits and sits on my shelf, unused!

This. I have it, I look at it once in a while because it's actually kind of cool and I love the retro aesthetic, but I don't use it. I'm not sure what to do with it.

SixDegrees

I struggle to see it as a deck that has hidden depths. And I wonder how many times you can rake over a card in the study group and come up with lots and lots of takes.

I thought this too when I got the deck, and have since traded it on (it wasn't really my thing), but I remember one specific reading where the Six of Pentacles came up and it really floored me. I mean, even with the kitschy Halloween theme, it's no mistake that the child is dressed as a devil here, and that the ghosts are left to haunt in the background. I remember a friend and I going on at length about the material-spiritual dynamics of this Six, of giving and receiving help, how our attention may be drawn away from what may really help us by flashy details or quick fixes (the candy).

Maybe we were just REALLY reading into the symbols on the card, but I've always thought that there was more to this deck after that experience....

Attachments

• SixPentacles.jpg
    SixPentacles.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 84

FallynRaiyn

I thought this too when I got the deck, and have since traded it on (it wasn't really my thing), but I remember one specific reading where the Six of Pentacles came up and it really floored me. I mean, even with the kitschy Halloween theme, it's no mistake that the child is dressed as a devil here, and that the ghosts are left to haunt in the background. I remember a friend and I going on at length about the material-spiritual dynamics of this Six, of giving and receiving help, how our attention may be drawn away from what may really help us by flashy details or quick fixes (the candy).

Maybe we were just REALLY reading into the symbols on the card, but I've always thought that there was more to this deck after that experience....

my first thought on that card is that he has devil hands, not just costume devil hands. ......kinda creepy.

LassTira

Meh.

I myself have watched over the years as my tastes evolved and changed. I like most things and when I saw a friend of mine reading with this deck I was intrigued. (I don't really like the theme of the deck...) But I know now what it was, it was my usual hoarding self trying to dig my talons into a new "shiny" object. BUT, I have to agree with others the deck was straight to the point...(and I do mean point an in a skewer point!) She bought me a copy and while I have appreciated the sentiment, the deck is simply not for me. She continues to read with it, and it works for her...(In a know it all...busy body way..xD) I enjoyed the copy while I had it..but when I pulled it out and realized it had not been used in over a month, I figured it was time to go >___> I ended up giving it to an older friend who just started reading for herself, she loves the theme, the box, the recipes everything! Just further proof to me that it wasn't meant for me long term. :)