Question on Illuminated Tarot

rmcfarron

I've been looking through old messages on this deck. While I'm not planning on buying it at present, it is on my wishlist for someday. I was wondering for those of you who have/use it, does the switch of Justice/Strength and the different names for some cards (Hierophant/Initiate, Hanged Man/Unconscious, Death/Transformation) trouble you at all? I'm new to tarot and reading/practicing with my PCSC deck and finding it quite easy to use in that the meanings really seem to flow for me. I think the artwork on the Illuminated is divine, but wonder if it might not be a bit distracting. I'd love to hear what more experienced readers think. As always, thanks to all!

Le Fanu

I've a feeling that when you buy it you can request from the artist that the deck has traditional titles.

I got mine in a trade and the renamed cards (like the Hermit, The Fool) bother me a bit.

I'd have asked for mine to have the original names if I'd ordered it myself.

Debra

The images are so clear. I ignore the titles.

Rasa

Normally, I don't like renamed cards, but the ones in this deck don't bother me too much. I usually don't pay much attention to the titles when I'm reading with the Illuminated, because the images really draw me in.

If I'm doing a reading for a client, I usually refer to the cards by their traditional names. I might point out the alternate name if it seems relevant to the reading.

I don't think (although I could be wrong..) that she offers an option about traditional titles anymore. I think different versions of her deck come with titles done in particular ways, but I don't think you can customize them.

I love, love, LOVE the Illuminated Tarot.
The handpainted decks especially have a really special feel to them, and the glitter and irridescent paint is just beautiful. they also hold up well to a lot of use... They're well worth the high price tag, in my opinion!

photokat

What Debra said.

I never thought of the titles to be bothersome. Carol's decks are well worth getting, and like it was said before, the images speak for themselves.

Carol doesn't offer the any alternate options although it would be nice if the deck was offered without any titles or numbering at all. And I'd only like it because I don't think that any titles are necessary for this deck. And if reading them bothers you, just don't read them (if that makes sense).

SixDegrees

I have an iridescent copy, and while I think it is the most beautiful version of the RWS, I don't read with it in part because of the title changes. I know that's silly, but it's the truth. I think that part of it comes from the fact that I tend to read The High Priestess as the representation of unconscious forces, so labeling the Hanged Man with that very title throws me. The others don't bother me as much, although I wish it were labeled the classical Death instead of Transformation.

I am VERY glad, however, that Carol no longer labels the courts with astrological signs. That was a welcome change.