Tarot Deck Pricing.

DownUnderNZer

I would like to know where we can find a "list" of what tarot decks should cost or be priced roughly at if:

1) Vintage.
2) OOP.
3) Rare.
4) Limited.

I dont consider myself a collector, although I do appreciate artwork and bright colors, and some decks I have bought for the appreciation rather than value or price. (Can work with them too except maybe one).

And there is one deck I like (that I dont have) for its dark exquisite artwork, but didnt realise that it wasnt common on the tarot market until I looked into it more and I still would like to get one only would have to keep an eye out for it and to make sure it isnt "pirated"....read that was an issue with it as well for the artist/creator. There is a possibility it maybe reprinted this year, so a third edition. "Bohemian Gothic".

I dont really want to buy something that is "collectible" and I didnt know this of the Bohemian Gothic until I tried googling: "Bohemian Gothic Buy". :D My interest stemmed from an AT member trying her deck out one night and when I googled to see the imagery I really liked it, but didnt know how unavailable it really was on the market then.

Would like to know from those collectors or tarot knowledgeable people out there what is deemed a fair price for this deck, also, if there is a website or list that is available so that inexperienced tarot buyers may have a better time of it before buying any tarot deck especially if its not readily available.

Thanks! :)

Carla

Wish I still had Bohemian Gothic, I'd trade you something for it or sell it for what it cost me. I traded mine a few weeks after I got it. Not for me at all.

I don't know if there is such a thing as a list like you describe. A deck is pretty much worth what people are willing to pay for it. Witness the strange Greenwood Tarot phenomenon. One year it's in the bargain bins, a few years later people are paying hundreds of pounds for it. Go figure!

Maybe Gregory et al will be able to shed some light.

DownUnderNZer

Wish I still had Bohemian Gothic, I'd trade you something for it or sell it for what it cost me. I traded mine a few weeks after I got it. Not for me at all.

I don't know if there is such a thing as a list like you describe. A deck is pretty much worth what people are willing to pay for it. Witness the strange Greenwood Tarot phenomenon. One year it's in the bargain bins, a few years later people are paying hundreds of pounds for it. Go figure!

Maybe Gregory et al will be able to shed some light.

Thanks! I did try googling for a rough ball park figure or a price it wa s sold at, but that wasnt very successful either.

Might be an idea to know about decks more as I dont want to go for any really that are considered rare or so limited it is like buying gold.

starlightexp

Am I the only one that would LOVE to find a pirated BG deck just for the fun of it ?

Sulis

Am I the only one that would LOVE to find a pirated BG deck just for the fun of it ?

Why is buying something that's been ripped off and made possibly with poor production values (although the real Bohemian Gothic decks have had their fair share of those ;)), be 'fun'?

DownUnderNZer

StarLight & Sulis:

Maybe I should be going for one that is a good quality pirate then...gee whiz what was I thinking. :D

Perhaps I will just wait to see if a third edition is printed off this year as that is still a slight possibility.

Sulis

Have you tried searching in the Closed Trades forum to see how much the Bohemian Gothic deck has sold for in the past?

Darkmage

Another thing to do is search the decks on Ebay. They have an option for completed listings. This will tell you what sold and for how much. I sell vintage videogames so I use this all the time--just make sure you search each individual title. If you just search 'tarot decks' you'll get information overload.

Also, look at Amazon and see what they're going for. Between the two sites you should be able to guesstimate a fair market value for each deck you're trying to sell.

Sulis

Also, look at Amazon and see what they're going for. Between the two sites you should be able to guesstimate a fair market value for each deck you're trying to sell.

The prices you see on Amazon are ridiculous though - people list decks there for thousands of pounds or dollars - it doesn't mean that the decks are worth that or that they will sell for that at all.. I'd stay away from Amazon if you want to research market prices (just my opinion ;)).

karen0205

The pricing on the secondary market can really vary from place to place and from time to time.
Amazon will have the deck for some ridiculous price because the sellers there have to pay a 25% selling fee and they include
that in the price. They also seem to price things crazy just to make it appear that their item is more valuable. I wouldn't use
the Amazon prices for a guide unless it's a new deck that is in print. Amazon doesn't have any way to see past sales that I am aware of.

Ebay would be the best place to get a more accurate value. If you check the completed items you can see what they actually
sold for, not just what someone is asking for the deck.

The reprint thing can also make it go up or down. The first edition of the Boho Gothic seems to be losing value slowly over time.
Not that it's not still worth something, it's just slowly going down because there are options now. It was $300 at one point where
now I think you can pick them up for under $200. I really think the book in that set is what keeps the value up. The book is pretty sought after.

The second edition is around $150. That was also going for more until Karen announced that they are considering reprinting it.
That seems to reduce prices in the market for a while. People are willing to wait for the reprint than spend a lot of money on a deck.
When buyers see that the reprint isn't happening as fast at they would like, they go back to buying them again.
The MRP decks are by far, in my experience, the most popular decks on the market. New people see them every day and want
the other editions they missed. It's just how it is with their decks. It's a shame they have such quality issues. They could really
be a much more prolific company if they could just design a deck, print it, sell it and move on. Instead they have to deal with
unsatisfactory printing, etc. for ever it seems. I can understand why they are frustrated.