help me buy a new tarot deck-I'm burned out

Tansey Ella

I have not bought a new/used tarot deck in some time. I just got burned out. I am hoping some of you have suggestions as to what might be a good deck for me of the new decks say between 2010-2013.
I tend to not like Gothic and vampire deck or faerie decks. I also hate symbol decks. No herbal or Crystal decks either. I hate preachy decks for the Christian etc variety, ie, no AnnaK for me. I like decks that deal with the psychological. Examples of decks I have like are The Deviant Moon, Osho Zen, my pink rws gifted to me by a lovely person on this board, 78 doors tarot, there are a few more. I saw this new rosetta deck but it looks Gothic . I saw the Ludy lLescott deck. it looks sort of dark, &I'm OK with dark decks, just nothing like the konaxoi cards or the dark grimore ( scared me).
I also like modern decks , Jungian type decks . I have tried the contemplation type decks and didn't get too much from them.

if you have newish deck ( or even one that isn't) tell me why you like and if you think I might like it. I'm open . I'm just burned out and need to read with a deck that I do not already feel defeated by.

Even if your deck is one I mentioned I don't like, I may be wrong. Tell me what you think as i really need a fresh deck and outlook.

PathWalker

The Rosetta is based quite closely on the Thoth. It's a deep deck but worth study. I wouldn't describe it as Gothic.

No idea what to suggest for you - you seem to already know what you like :)

Best wishes
PW

Tansey Ella

I may seem to know what I like but apparently not, as I would not have thought the Rosetta was a Thoth deck, not on casual look.
anyone, your suggestions are welcome.

victoria.star

I suggest Tarot de Marseilles. The CBD is a great place to start.

After years of trying every type of deck on for size, I really am happy with this avenue of study.

Every 'version' of someone else's interpretation of Tarot is interesting and I love the art of all the various decks...however, I am at a point where I want to let ME and Tarot learn one another...I want to settle on a set of images and develop MY intuition / communciation, instead of jumping from someone else's version to another pretty art interpretation and then a new 'style' of reading etc etc.

Just my opinion for myself today. Thought I would share it with you.

Good luck and I send you best wishes
for blessings of :heart: Insight, Inspiration and Clarity :heart:

Tansey Ella

thank you for the suggestion, and I will check it out. I appreciate you telling me why you chose your deck.
So as you see, I may like a deck I think I would never look at. So many decks I just pass over, for example the symbol type decks. They seem very difficult but I am sure there is someone who loves them and if you do, please tell me why.

Zephyros

What do you define as a symbol type deck? What is a Jungian deck?

Serenia

I went through my deck list to see what you might like. If you're into animal decks, what about the Fantastical Creatures Tarot or the newly released Animal Wisdom Tarot?

A deck that really gives me unusual perspectives is the Tarot of the Sweet Twilight. If you'd like something unconventional, this might be worth to take a look at.

I haven't worked that much with the Fey Tarot yet, but it looks very promising as well in that it gives new ideas and perspectives.

Another deck that gives me quite deep, psychological readings is the Archeon Tarot, but some people might consider it as gothic, so it is probably not your cup of tea.

And finally some more decks I like and I'd recommend (no idea to what extent they are to your liking): Crystal Visions Tarot, Sun and Moon Tarot and Tarot of the Magical Forest.

(Post edited to add links.)

Penthasilia

The Tarot Illuminati is a lovely RWS based deck that is fairly new. It is printed by Lo Scarabeo, the current version being gilded and borderless; it comes in a lovely boxed set with book. The colors are more muted on the cards than on the screen- in a good way. Not sure about your ideas on computer generated images- but it is lovely and reads very well, without being gothic, preachy, etc. The book is also very well done, with a larger ebook available for further intensive study. There are many symbols in the deck, which to some can be quite busy, but I like it as it gives a fresh perspective on every reading.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/illuminati/

The Victorian Romantic 2nd edition from Baba Prague is also very lovely, and I believe still in stock. All of their decks are gorgeous- this one included. I think their quality speaks for itself and there isn't really much more I can add to it. It is also gilded and lovely- very easy to read. Not as image intensive as the Tarot Illuminati, so may be more up your alley depending on tastes.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/victorian-romantic/

The Wild Unknown was another popular deck with most here (though I was not very keen on it). If you like nature based decks, you may like this one as well. The card stock was not to my liking, but I am a riffle shuffler.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/wild-unknown/

The Mary-El is another beautiful deck that I didn't fare well with due to card stock. The imagery is very different, with a mix of symbolism that is not primarily RWS or Thoth based- but very evocative and it does read very well. Again- I loved the imagery, but not enough to justify the inability to riffle shuffle.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/mary-el/

Those are some of the more talked about recent decks that seem to fit within your original post anyway. Hope that helps. :)

RunningWild

The Ludy Lescot is really pretty good though I rarely take it out and it does give what seems, to me, some good psychological reference.

What about a deck like the Mary El?

Richard

I know that this is a heresy in this forum, but I'll suggest it anyhow: Why not take a break from Tarot?