Original Knapp-Hall up for sale !

gregory

LOOK ! From 1929, with its proper clothy box and everything.

This is being sold by an antiquarian book dealer who wondered if I'd fancy it. I can't afford it - but for any serious collector out there...

Just a heads up from your friendly neighbourhood enabler.... :)

Le Fanu

Lovely. Truly lovely - even missing The Sun card. Not massively expensive. About the price of the Ironwing and I think I'd rather have the Knapp Hall. I wonder if he'd swap? :)

I didn't know the deck was "reprinted various times" during the 80s. I thought it was just the once.

But a wonderful deck. If I could be sure of NO customs charge I'd think more seriously. I'm tempted as it is. But no way would I want to pay a cent more to customs!

nisaba

... ask them if they'd kindly label the package "gift" ...

Le Fanu

... ask them if they'd kindly label the package "gift" ...
Customs have looooooong got wise to that one. I've even had sellers put affectionately, chirpily written birthday notes in the package :D. They just know...

nisaba

... Or label it: "Used bits of paper"?

gregory

Lovely. Truly lovely - even missing The Sun card. Not massively expensive. About the price of the Ironwing and I think I'd rather have the Knapp Hall. I wonder if he'd swap? :)

I didn't know the deck was "reprinted various times" during the 80s. I thought it was just the once.

But a wonderful deck. If I could be sure of NO customs charge I'd think more seriously. I'm tempted as it is. But no way would I want to pay a cent more to customs!

Email her and ask if she would mark it "damaged cards"... and "gift" ? and add no bill, estimate no value and include a note like "dear cousin; I found this in a flea market - it looks like something that would interest you...."
To my amazement, my sister recently bought some very expensive rocks on ebay, from the US, and was trying to explain to the seller about the UK charges and why she would like him to send it in two or three parcels; he was horrified and said "leave it to me." A few days later she got a MASSIVE heavy parcel that had clearly been opened and resealed by customs, containing all these rocks (she bus them uncut and cuts them herself - it's her hobby) with a note saying "Dear cousin - here are some foreign rocks for your garden. It's not much of a present but I thought you'd like them."

No charges :D

Oh Leffy - he's a she and NOT a collector, so no swapsies going !

DavidMcCann

I didn't know the deck was "reprinted various times" during the 80s. I thought it was just the once.[\QUOTE]
There was a 1981 reprint by the copyright holders, but it seems even rarer than the original. The more common one is the US Games reprint of 1985. Those who've seen both say the colours are not as good in the US Games version, but I was happy enough to buy one recently. I still feel a bit guilty about the £200 though.

I was sorely tempted by one, but 20% VAT on the cost of cards and postage made buying from the USA just too much. The unkindest cut is when the Post Office charge you for collecting the VAT!

gregory

There was a 1981 reprint by the copyright holders, but it seems even rarer than the original. The more common one is the US Games reprint of 1985. Those who've seen both say the colours are not as good in the US Games version, but I was happy enough to buy one recently. I still feel a bit guilty about the £200 though.

I was sorely tempted by one, but 20% VAT on the cost of cards and postage made buying from the USA just too much. The unkindest cut is when the Post Office charge you for collecting the VAT!

Yeah - £8 on 89p was a recent experience I am still mad about :(

I have the 1981 reprint by the PRS :) Lucky me !

Chronata

I always longed for this one...almost got the reprint back in the 80's, but I opted for something more to my taste at the time.
Sometimes I am such an idiot....

This price is pretty damn reasonable. If I didn't have to eat and have heat...I would buy this in a heartbeat.

Debra

I feel the price is really not reasonable. It's missing a card, and about twice what I paid for a complete one in pristine condition only a few years ago.