A spread I made for study/endeavor.

euripides

So I just came up with a spread, and wondered if you would help me develop the idea a little. I'm particularly uncertain about the 'person' positions and reading cards there. In the spread I just did, for instance, I got Temperance/The Guide (Old Path) as the querent. I sort of read it as advice.

The spread looks like this:

[future/outcome]
[obstacles cross] [distractions]
[the near future]
[family][self][work]
[- supports - ]

where perhaps family/work represent key roles, so could be replaced by other concepts.
This was a reading for study, but could be for any endeavor. I liked creating a combination of breadth to show the story across one's responsibilities, with some sense of forward direction for the path being followed.

I think I'm not sure about how best to read the self and family cards. I keep expressing cards as advice - you should do x - rather than as 'this is x person' or 'this is how you feel'.

Dryaddin

Hi Euripides!

I think all the positions in the spread are good pieces of information you can extract from the cards. Maybe you could think about the order when placing the cards, it's a bit confusing where to start.

Maybe the "self" card could be what skills you could use in that moment or your point of view of the situation. The "family" card could represent also how this coming future will affect to your beloved ones or how they will react to it. That could also be applied to the "work" card.

I don't understand the "supports" position, what kind of information are you seeking there?

I hope all this helps you with your spread :D

euripides

Hi Euripides!
Maybe you could think about the order when placing the cards, it's a bit confusing where to start.

I don't understand the "supports" position, what kind of information are you seeking there?

I hope all this helps you with your spread :D

Thanks Dryaddin, this is really helpful. This was suggested by the querent I read for, and it made a lot of sense to me - an indication of where one might turn for support in their endeavor. I would see this as being a person or group - a loved one, friend, colleague, teacher, perhaps a union or social group.

I'll have to look at other spreads and see how people represent laying out of cards. I'd start with self, then family and work, and support forming a base, then step forward the future cards.

Dryaddin

I'll have to look at other spreads and see how people represent laying out of cards. I'd start with self, then family and work, and support forming a base, then step forward the future cards.

Something that has helped me a lot to design my own spreads is to check the Celtic Spread explanation in any Tarot book. It's a big spread (10 cards) but it gives you ideas of what information you can obtain from your deck. It's a traditional spread but a bit complex for using it often.

You can pick the positions that match better to your question or modify them a bit to suit in the topic. I hope it helps ;)