Info on Camoin's Reprinting?

Shalott

Howdy,
Since i've decided I like this ThunderBay Press edition so much, it occured to me that perhaps I should save up and get the actual Camoin reprinting? This is what I'm looking at, incidentally, maybe I'm not looking at what I think I'm looking at: http://www.camoin-cie.com/media/obj0010.jpg What I'm wondering is, since it's a limited edition, do any of y'all have any info on how long it would be available? Don't want to wait too long and have them disappear from the regular market...

Thanks!

jmd

These are the cards from the re-printing - why not contact Camoin directly (an e.mail address is on their website) and ask whether a rush is needed?

It is a deck I would personally highly recommend - the imprint, as the Flornoy letarot.com imprints - are on cardboard that is reminiscent of what earlier decks would have very much been liked merely a couple of centuries ago. Of course, the inks and finish uses modern techniques.

Shalott

Thanks jmd! I think I'm a bit afraid of getting a reply in French...eek. But perhaps I'll try and see.

Yeah, they probably didn't have plastic type stuff for lamination in 1760 eh :)

(I just noticed you're a "diva." LOL!)

Fulgour

jmd said:
It is a deck I would personally highly recommend - the imprint, as the Flornoy letarot.com imprints - are on cardboard that is reminiscent of what earlier decks would have very much been liked merely a couple of centuries ago...
JMD: This is something that's been working around in my imagination.
If I gave as an example, using a standard model deck, a 1" thickness,
what is the comparative thickness and size of a 'cardboard' edition?

Paul

Fulgour - Do you have any Il Meneghello editions? I ask because it would provide a frame of reference. The cardboard is just slightly thicker than the standard IM editions.

I ordered the Camoin reprint awhile back. It has quite the primitive feel.

jmd

The Dodal is exactly 3 cm thick, and the Camoin Conver 4 cm thick - exactly a third thicker than a 'standard' deck.

Attached is the Dodal and the Camoin Conver (with parts of my fingers)

Attachments

• width Dodal vs Camoin 200.jpg
    width Dodal vs Camoin 200.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 124

Shalott

:eek: parts of jmd's fingers!!! Where's the mystey now?

THe Dodal felt pretty standard to me - haven't held it up to other decks yet...the Camoin reprint looks pretty thick but short. Kind of, well, squat. Doesn't look like it would difficult to handle.

Fulgour

Paul said:
Fulgour - Do you have any Il Meneghello editions?
Hi Paul. No, I don't yet have an edition from Il Meneghello,
though it may be more because of my shopping patterns.
Which do you recommend as an addition to my collection?

Most recently, I just acquired an Ancien Tarot de Marseille,
and am the proud possessor of the Maître Grand Jean Dodal.
Then of course, thanks to the unanimous consensus here ~
I'm moving steadily toward Le Véritable Tarot de Marseille.

Many thanks, JMD, for the scans and information. I don't get
much chance to use centimetres here in yardstick country ;)

Shalott

(Emailed Camoin, if/when I get a reply, I'll post here, maybe others are wondering the same thing.)

Paul

Hi Paul. No, I don't yet have an edition from Il Meneghello,
though it may be more because of my shopping patterns.
Which do you recommend as an addition to my collection?

Fulgour
Well, I surreptitiously checked your profile for your tarot deck choices (ok -not so surreptitious; you did post it). But, can't put a finger on it. Are you interested in non-illustrated or illusrated pips? Italian or french? In any case, with Meneghello, you can count on a product that looks and feels like the real thing. But, then, the conundrum is that you don't want to read with it, because it feels too "museum-like" to allocate to utilitarian status.