10 Pentacles The Elephant Man?

ArcanoMáximo

I already know about the "economically successful family" meaning.
And that this maybe as the X CUPS but in a menor level.
And about how the beings are in a lack of recognition of the "wise old man".
But,
if this is only a "wise old man" why the orange-blue dressed man is using a sharp spear?
Is he a guard?
Is the woman distracting him while the boy and dog can see something?
The "wise old man" is a circus phenomenon?
Or perhaps is in jail?
Why he is sitting on the 9PENTS vineyard?
Why almost all the Tarot symbols are in the wall and suit ( moon, tower, scale, high priestess haido, a church, crown,scepters, etc) ?
One of the dogs is his? Cause just only one has a collar, the other seems happy for the visit!
If the orange-blue dressed man is a guard, obviously he is not doing well his work - the old and very used trick of the sensual woman distracting him-.
But, why to guard this old man? Who is he really? Might be dangerous?

http://www.learntarot.com/bigjpgs/pents10.jpg

Attachments

• xpents.jpg
    xpents.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 302

Cascade

my mind's eye

This is how I pictured the symbolism telling this card's story. Same scene...different thoughts.

Here at the exit of his garden sits the 'honored one'. His crown his heavy but they have attached it by three strands around his collar. If someone important comes by, he'll put it on. He sits near a checkered pillar that sports two of his many coat of arms flags. Another is on the back of his garden chair.
The pattern on the King of Pents' robe is similar to the chair back. The king has put him out in the sun with a guardian to keep him company. Not a fierce one, but more of a companion. But royalty must require a weapon for show. As he sits petting his dog in the warm sun, along comes the nanny with one of his grandson's and their dog,probably also related. The little boy is petting his dog. I think if the dog didn't know him, he wouldn't be still. Grampa, or grt-grampa, looks soo big,he peeks from behind her skirt.

10 is the number of completion. The old one looking at the young one knows his cycle is complete.

I did find it interesting that PCS signed this card at the top. Except the Fool, couldn't find one there, it's the only one. Maybe Fulgor knows.

ArcanoMáximo

Cascade said:
The king has put him out in the sun with a guardian to keep him company. Not a fierce one, but more of a companion. But royalty must require a weapon for show
Perhaps then in that his nobility and wisdom reside, not any king would elect a plebeian one or a guard by company. Yes, is a very logical view!
Thanks Cascade!
Another opinion?

Fulgour

Cascade said:
I did find it interesting that PCS signed this card at the top.
Except the Fool, couldn't find one there, it's the only one.
In terms of the stylised monogram of Pamela Colman Smith,
and she flourishes it as often as it appears quietly in a corner,
from other editions of her work it may be found that she will
purposefully not initial or sign the final piece, an unusual flair.

By not signing The Fool we can tell she considered it the last
card in the sequence of the 22 Major Arcana. Not first as "0"
or between XX and XXI as Waite places it 3 times in the PKT.
Pamela was a very accomplished artist and this is~ her style.

On the 10 of Pentacles it might look like an accident at first to
find her signature up at the top, but there is actually a "border"
there for it, the plain grey strip across the top. And too, if it was
in its usual place it would be just under the dog's hind quarters.

No mistake ~ she is saying her farewell in a way, "signing off" :)
The Tarot is now complete, the 10 of Pentacles the final drawing.

Cascade

PCS sneaky?

Thanks Fulgour, (sorry for wrong spelling before). You are like a PCS sponge of knowledge! You must have been there somehow.
I like how a daily draw helps to focus on small and subtle aspects in each card. Funny how the placement of a signature could have the same significance as the colors of a crown, as a symbol. Do you think Waite knew of these extra's? Thanks again

michellemd

Great views. Thanks.

michellemd

Another thought, in the 10 of Cups, the house in the background is a very simple looking structure, which does look like a HOUSE, whereas in the 10 of Pentacles, the house is a huge structure like a CASTLE??? Add to the castle the guy with the spear and the old man with the royal robes and it gives u a totally new meaning...??? what do u say??

RChMI

Fulgour said:

On the 10 of Pentacles it might look like an accident at first to
find her signature up at the top, but there is actually a "border" there for it, the plain grey strip across the top. And too, if it was in its usual place it would be just under the dog's hind quarters.
PCS might not have had a "choice" in the placement of her signature, given the fact that AEW wove his surname into the cloak of the seated man.

RChMI

Fulgour said:

No mistake ~ she is saying her farewell in a way, "signing off" :)
The Tarot is now complete, the 10 of Pentacles the final drawing.
The final card in the serial order for the G .¨. D .¨. would be XXI The World. The final card in the serial order for Waite would be Ace Pentacle

Fulgour

RChMI said:
The final card in the serial order for the G .¨. D .¨. would be XXI The World. The final card in the serial order for Waite would be Ace Pentacle
That's wonderful... where are their decks?