Idle speculation about French suits

philebus

I have, in the past, tended to assume that the use of French suits has kept many of the games from extinction after the popularity of the occult tarot. To an extent, I think this may be true but I have come to wonder now, just how much the use of French suits actually enabled the rise of the occult tarot in the rest of Europe.

One of the factors that enabled the rise of occult tarot seems to have been the unfamiliarity of the Parisian society with tarot cards at the time of de Gabelin, the games had simply fallen from favour. Had this not been the case, people may have found it hard to see anything more mysterious in tarot than we would in Uno or Happy Families (keeping in mind that for 350 years of familiar play no one seems to have suggested an occult interpretation). Then the UK and after that the US, countries where the limited adoption of tarot play in the past was long forgotten, took up the occult tarot as something completely new and novel. Occult tarot then began to reach back out through Eruope, under its uniquely French name, where the games were still widely played but with different cards and under different names. Although Italy still uses the old designs for play, these games were then localised rather than widely played, leaving much of the country in a similar situation as late 18th century Paris.

So, as a card playing sceptic, should I be thankful for or resentful toward the French suited tarots? I must admit, that either way, I would find it difficult to resent them, I just love variety in cards - but I would like to have seen history give us more Italian suited packs to play with.

As I said, idle speculation but I would be interested in the thoughts of the folk here.

eugim

Hello Philebus...
1-You re right.Since Eliphas Levi wrote "Dogme et Ritual de Haute Magie" the history of Tarot and by extension the one of the Tarot de Marseilles,did a new turn.
After him a caravan of occults point of view about TdM began and follow till now...
2-Must be say I think,that all began too much earlier.
Just for have both a startpoint I want to place a "crossroad" milestone,as it was the year of 1499 when frenchmen conquested Milan,knew the Tarocchi brought to France and "entirely" reworked it.
They first named and numbered the cards,redisigned "all" the iconography of them and finally design for the very first time the back of the cards.
I don t want to bore you,but just see the angel of TEMPEREANCE card.
3-A brief glance of historical facts,show that first the Arabs when conquested Sicily and Spain,brought the 56 Minors.
Then as early XIIII century in the north of Italy someone invented the 22 with an strong and strictly allegorical iconography.
Thus it s spread around the north of Italy on several courts.
here I think we must keep in mind that at that time the Tarot as known were an strictly card game and only known by the nobility.
4-Basically on a broad sense was a synopsis of Virtues and Vices,ranks both celestial and the one of ordinary power. (Both also mixed as usual),and also a society class rank
On a philosophical level is a mix of Christian Apocaliptic vision and Greek heritage there within.
5-Arabs added a deep background with regard to the meaning of numbers.
A point must be put here and is as Arabs can t show figures,theirs Honours aren t figured.
6-Where Arabs learned that knowledge ?
As the first christians so also the first Fathers of the Church (Origenes,Clemente et cetera)
In Alexandria,Egypt,where at the time between I and III century an awesome mix of cultures took place.
Virtually all the cultures of that time were "there".
The library of Alexandria was the greatest of this time and tolerance between beliefs really existed.
Even the Celts were there...
7-As a result,the first Christian were looking for a "body" for theirs Spiritual beliefs and also of course a new philosophy language a corpus to mix with theirs beliefs,so to try to bring to other people a more familiar vision.
Think for example in the Apostle John,his Gospel beginning for not say his Apocalypse...btw
8-Then each one return to his country,mostly Europe,and began to work a common corpus with the sources I mentioned before.
After the first Nicea Council the environment changed dramatically...
So that philosophers had to hide them and theirs beliefs,so began the Occult current.
To Occult was and surely was that the intention (Think in Alchemy) that the "newcomers" start to misunderstand absolutely all.
The true philosophers continue on a secret way because the Catholic Church were very poweful,and things evolved in silent but spoke loudly at the Romanesque Art and then Gothic in Abbey and Cathedral construction.
9-After the downfall of the Templar Order in march of 1314,the members fast spreads to many countries and also England and Scotland hae many Templar tombs as a prove of this.
Many new orders were found after this,and if you compares that date so 1314 with the born of the Italian Tarot i think we aren t far to consider a connection between them.
And if take along the date of 1499 when Tarot de Marseilles born also...
Templar Order were to much infused with Sufi and Alexandria philosophical roots.
10-Since that and again I remark you re right the wheel continue turning and giving two opposites streams.
The strictly historical fact true (very useful to clarify think ...),the Occult from the Rosicrucian Order and the one of Eliphas Levi then,and the silent hidden current of the true Corpus of the philosophical source of tarot that flows till now.
11-So why is too difficult to find these source for understand the tarot iconography ?
I think just because the cards aren t watched enough.Simple as that.
If Jean Dodal (just for some examples) numbered IIX the LE PENDV card,I don t need to think about negligence instead of a clear intention.
If XIII figure has victims behind and ahead and there we have a Pope and a King (the same that burned Jacques de Molay Maestre of the templar order ) so here we have something to start with.
Of course only and just as I see btw...

Well my English isn t enough good so I expect been clear.
Otherwise please tell me Philebus.

My best regards,

Eugim

Bernice

Architecture

The true philosophers continued in a secret way because the Catholic Church were very poweful, and things evolved in silence, but spoke loudly at the Romanesque Art and then Gothic in Abbey and Cathedral construction.
I would agree that architecture is a very rich field of exploration. Roseanne (where is she?) first drew my attention to the parallell iconography with the early tarots. I think this is a rare case where some things HAVE been set in stone!

Bee