The Thoth Book by Crowley

archer1

rainwolf said:
Crowley's Book of Thoth may be hard to read if you don't have a little background, so I second Duquette's book because that is what made me more interested in his deck.

Some knowledge of astrology and kabbalah will also help understanding his deck. Just look for concepts--no need to start memorizing everything.

I must say I agree with rainwolf I had read crowley's book through once and couldn't really understand it and then Duquette's book made it possible for me to re-read The Book of Thoth and really understand what is being said.

cheekyinchworm

FWIW, I will weigh in here, especially since I am a Thoth beginner.

So, in my opinion, Crowley's The Book of Thoth is well worth reading even for a beginner. Even though much of it will go flying over your (my) head, there is still so much worth reading in that book. I was warry at first, so I only ordered the DuQuette book when I ordered my deck. But I picked up the BOT in the bookstore and was just amazed by it. I loved it right away and bought it right away. On almost every page there was something that spoke to me, and amazed me. So even though I had no idea what a "Notariqon" was, or why zero=two was the supreme Thelemic doctrine, it was still well worth reading. You have to just let the feeling of being overwhelmed roll over you. You won't (and can't) understand everything all at once. It's a process. It takes time and work.

And the Thoth tarot is a great place to start, IMO. And DuQuette's book has been AWESOME for me, although it is not complete, I don't think.

He even says, at the end of Little bits you should know, something like "Now that we've discussed Qabalah and Astrology and Enochiana and . . . " and so on "we can move on to talk about the cards." BUT HE NEVER DISCUSSED ENOCHIA in part 1, nor did he say all that much about Astrology. This made me think that he was saying that you also needed to learn about Astrology and Enochiana in order to fully understand his card descriptions.

But, be that as it may, what I can say for sure is that the Ziggler (sp?) Mirror of the Soul book was, in my opinion, a complete waste of money.

So, hope that helps. I would say, beginner to beginner, that, yes, you want the BOT and DuQuette's book and you want to learn about Astrology.

Unless you just like the pictures on the Thoth cards and want to assign your own symbolism and meanings to them, in which case, definitely don't bother with any book, not even the LWB.

tabi

As you know I do suggest the book: Understanding the Thoth Tarot by Duquette. He gives general background information in a short funny statement of fact, while sticking to the subject at hand.

Crowley's own "The Book of Thoth" (which I do have) if you have a great deal of patience, a high understand of the English language and an enjoyment of dry text you should be okay.

However with Crowley's book you have to read from front to back with no jumping around because you're going to miss something. Duquette's book lets you read what you want when you want to without feeling as if you've dropped into Alice's rabbit hole.

redhand

I have to say that reading the Book of Thoth is good for the beginner and advanced reader alike. I mean is it not good to get the bit straight from the horses mouth?lol Lon Milo Duquette book is also very good to further your understanding. Another very good one is Tarot and the Magus.

tarotrose

really liking the Lon Milo DuQuette book

In my estimate, that book is a treasure house! It gives you just enough for a solid foundation plus a few extra notes of interest. And the author is very humorous -- when I read his quips, I imagine them being spoken by Dom Delouise. Actually, the humor helped me remember some things I might not have remembered otherwise. I highly recommend it.