Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

The Sun and the Zodiac

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Thoth Tarot

Citizen

Sado 
Citizen
The Sun and the Zodiac

Is it just me or are the Zodiac in the wrong order on this card? It appears the signs next to the Twins are switched...
Top   #1
ravenator

ravenest 
ravenator

Perhaps it's part of the 'double loop' in the zodiac
Top   #2
Citizen

Abrac 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sado
Is it just me or are the Zodiac in the wrong order on this card? It appears the signs next to the Twins are switched...
It looks right to me. I'm used to seeing the spring and summer signs on the top so it's different seeing them on the bottom, but they seem to be in the right order.

Zodiac
The Sun
Top   #3
Citizen

Sado 
Citizen

Hmm... Its just me then, I guess.
Top   #4
Citizen

kwaw 
Citizen

Looks right to me.

Kwaw
Top   #5
Citizen

Aeon418 
Citizen

That particular representation of the zodiac may be a graphic way of showing the Sun in the south. Crowley comments on this in MTP.
I'm not going to quote because that particular one makes some hysterical people, ignorant of the symbolism, go crazy.
Top   #6
Citizen

Sado 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon418
That particular representation of the zodiac may be a graphic way of showing the Sun in the south. Crowley comments on this in MTP.
I'm not going to quote because that particular one makes some hysterical people, ignorant of the symbolism, go crazy.
Now you're making me curious.
Top   #7
Citizen

Abrac 
Citizen

In The Secret Teachings of All Ages, Manly Hall says something that has never made much sense to me, but looking at Crowley's Sun card it seems a little clearer:

"The important point to be remembered is that when the sun was said to be in a certain sign of the zodiac, the ancients really meant that the sun occupied the opposite sign and cast its long ray into the house in which they enthroned it. Therefore, when it is said that the sun is in Taurus, it is means (astronomically) that the sun is in the sign opposite to Taurus, which is Scorpio."

Since Hall's book was first published in 1928, Crowley and Harris would have certainly had access to it long before their Tarot was made. They would have probably also been aware of some of the same sources Hall used.
Top   #8
Citizen

Aeon418 
Citizen

Crowley was well aware of the significance of the opposite signs. After all it forms part of the theory of Aeonics.

When you consider what Crowley says about the Sun in Capricorn/South in MTP it becomes blindingly obvious that there is a very close connection with the whole Cancer / Cheth / 418 / Knowledge & Conversation chain of correspndences.
Top   #9
ravenator

ravenest 
ravenator

Manly Hall ... EHHH!?

That's an obscurification. What he probably meant was the Moon.

As is apparent from a LITTLE deduction ... 'the ancients' could NEVER see what sign the sun is in .... because it would be daytime.

One could look at the full moon and see what CONSTELLATION that was in and then know the Sun would be in the opposite constellation.

It all makes sense from 'down here'.
Top   #10

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.