Patiently waiting for my DuQuette book

Thoughtful

In the meantime l have read through the lwb which l find very informative, more info in it than l thought would be possible. As a newbie to Thoth l find with the card l drew yesterday and the one today, that it is starting my journey gently and answering me very clearly. The question l have is l drew the Hermit today, love the card, the lwb explained it all clearly apart from not mentioning the three headed dog. Am l right in thinking its cerebus the guardian of the underworld, if so what is the implication here of being in the Hermit card. l do have thoughts about it but would appreciate any explanation. Thanks in advance.
So pleased l have this deck its full of meaning and though l am only just about to touch the first layer, l feel there is so many more layers and l am looking forward to the journey and of course my book, when hopefully l won't be a pain here with endless newbie questions :)

Aoife

Hi Thoughtful, yes, you're right - its Cerberus.

Duquette says - "[The Hermit] is dogged by Cerberus, the three-headed guardian of the gates of the underworld, whom Hermes/Mercury tamed with honey cakes during his mission to rescue Persephone from Hades".

The card is full of references to the story of Demeter and Persephone.

Thoughtful

Thank you Aoife, l believe there are study threads which l have missed. Will have a look there. Thanks again :)

Abrac

Virgo is the corresponding astrological sign. Mercury rules Virgo and is also in exaltation in that sign. Consequently, Mercury is in evidence everywhere in the card. Crowley refers to Mercury as “Psychopompos, the guide of the soul through the lower regions.” In the Book of Thoth Crowley says, “Following him is Cerberus, the three-headed Hound of Hell whom he has tamed.”

Aeon418

A different angle to this card involves the Hermit's face, or lack of it. We can't see it. It is concealed, unseen, secret. This links him with Hades himself, The Hidden One, and the owner of Cerberus.

In the legend, Persephone (Virgo) is bound to Hades after eating food containing 'seeds'.

As the Hidden One, the Hermit is the Secret Self, the hidden seed of the divine concealed within each individual. (Note that this card is attributed to the Hebrew letter Yod.)

Thoughtful

Wonderful posts here thank you all for the enlightenment.

l am trying very hard not to rush into this deck. Am slowly taking it card by card it just feels too important a tarot not to study it wisely and slowly. It goes against the grain though as l am an Aries we tend to want to charge in a little too quick :p

Richard

Wonderful posts here thank you all for the enlightenment.

l am trying very hard not to rush into this deck. Am slowly taking it card by card it just feels too important a tarot not to study it wisely and slowly. It goes against the grain though as l am an Aries we tend to want to charge in a little too quick :p

Card by card is a good first approach. (After all, you have to start somewhere; and, goodness knows, we Aries types often need a stiff dose of patience and self discipline.) However, the deck really opens up when it is seen how the cards interrelate to form a consistent, integral unit (which I'm sure you know already).

Thoughtful

:joke: l have definitely needed to learn patience in life, sort of mastered it now.

Am doing the one card daily to take in all the rich symbolism in each card, once DuQuette makes an appearance through my door l will venture to do a small three card reading whilst continuing the daily picks, kind of like joining up the dots. Hesitant to do much without the book as l do not want Mr Arthur Waite swirling around my head. Clean slate and all that.

smw

Am doing the one card daily to take in all the rich symbolism in each card, once DuQuette makes an appearance through my door l will venture to do a small three card reading whilst continuing the daily picks

I hope you enjoy DuQuette and find it helpful :) I did myself, he writes I think in a warm approachable style.

Thoughtful

smw still waiting for my Book should be here tomorrow, at least l hope so. l can't wait to get started am still just doing one card a day. Have to say l have had all major and court cards so far and l do shuffle the cards well. Its all good though, Thoth is being very good at giving me relevant cards at the moment.
But l still await that book :confused: