The Faun (#35)

Jewel

I went to the index but did not find a listing for this card, so I thought I would open up a thread to discuss The Faun.

Yesterday in my daily draw two cards popped out, one was the Faun. Today my daily draw (faerie companion) is the Faun. So obviously I am meant to spend some time with him.

In many ways, this card to me is reminiscent of the Singers, although it is part of the Faerie Guides and Guardians. Like Souls, which has the clear form of a Face but the rest is all Singer, the Faun has a face and the rest looks like a Singer. I really think this card could go well in either group as guardian or Singer. The message of the card is also very "singerish" in nature. He is about joy and connection, but there is a seriousness to him too.

What most stands out to me about this card is the "light" that runs through the center of the card touching the chakras. Alissa input on this from you would be really helpful as I don't know a lot about chakras. Maily what has captured my attention both days of having this card is the light at the third eye and the throat. Both chakra points. One for communication the other for opening up to psychic channels. At the same time I see his penetrating gaze. There is a message there for me, and what I "hear" is "use it". But I am not sure what for ... perhaps he will stay with me until I figure that part out.

greenbeans

I remember when I was little, reading the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and being so enchanted with the faun Mr Tumnus, with his sweet little hooves and horns, and his cosy forest home- I always longed to go for tea and toast there!
The Faun seems a little different, although still sweet, he is more magical, nobler...as you say Jewel, he is glowing with inner light like a Singer...I think he is a Guardian because as a Genus Locii he is connected to a specific place in nature...he is partway between deity and animal. Perhaps he links the Guardians (with their more practical role) to the more etherial Singers.

Jewel

greenbeans said:
Perhaps he links the Guardians (with their more practical role) to the more etherial Singers.
That makes A LOT of sense to me. Sort of like the Soul card links the Singers to the Sidhe. Thanks for putting into words what I was feeling.

sagitarian

I swear I can hear the faun sing. a single tone, not an extremely high pitch, but in the middle. An altos tone if you will. He brings a powerful message about new beginnings. I see him as the one that "walks" spirits over to the mortal world, and delivers them to their new body while its still in it's fetus stage.

Somehow I see the "beginning and end" inside The Faun, much like "the world" card in tarot. In tarrot, The world is the fools completion of his journey, and yet, he's right back where he started. "The world is neither the beginning nor the end, but instead represents the "oneness" in the duality of both of these combined together" this is how I see the faun, as bringing the gap together in combining "old" with "new".

"I guess at the end, you start thinking about the beginning"
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Sage

Alissa

I'm so sorry for not getting to this reply sooner! :D

Yes, I think everyone here is expressing the exact same thing. I'm seeing the two messages of the above posts blending into one in my inner eye.

The chakras: the throat, the third eye, and the crown (and beyond) are alight. Just as you said Jewel (you know more than you think!), the throat governs communication, and the third eye chakra governs awakening of spiritual and psychic awareness/abilities.

The crown is the thousand-petalled lotus... it is the color white, all colors and none. It is everything. Being externalized, we often have trouble really picturing how the crown chakra interacts with "us". The image I have for this came from reading a Tom Robbins book ages ago... the crown chakra are the psychic stamen we wave in the astral breeze. It is our "feelers" that we may not know we have... it pulls in everything. And nothing. Like pollen collection on the wind. The crown chakra is not one light, but thousands... stretching from us, they are the loose fibers that when seen from afar, wrap into everyone around us and make up the blanket of humanity.

Now... this is a "top heavy" chakra balance (if this was a person, it wouldn't be "healthy," it's so "high". Can give you bad whirlies, and disconnectedness, big time). But this isn't a human, it's a Fae. And one that is between the Singers (pure energy) and the Forms (materialized energy).

This is someone who uses their words and their psychic gifts to reach and open to the Universal. It's a visionary Faery (not a "helper" Fae). He makes you see things, and then makes you want to tell others of the Phantastic and Phabulous Everything you saw that makes up this world, and the other worlds.

Sure the Faun can sing... probably sings the music of the crystal spheres! His throat is *communicating* and vibrations make up music! This Fae is one that is "humming" with his own energy.

The presence I get in the Faun is one of quiet marvel. It's funny, but actually I'm getting this image: when you're driving, or hiking, and you happen upon a deer... and both of you stop... and look at each other... there's this holding-your-breath while watching the creature in admiration. Cherishing the moment because the Faun is going to bolt and run soon (you know this), so you admire it. Quiet marvel. Not fireworks, just a little "ooo-aaah" moment that makes you stop and realize things in this world are incredibly interconnected.

sagitarian

claps her hands in delight at her Sis's post. Wow...you amaze me on how you do this. I swear. How you...see them...and put into words what we all "see" and feel, and yet you do it with "simplicity", but still keep it, poetic and moving. I swear everytime I read what you have to say in helping to understand one of these fae, I'm in my own "quiet-marvel" at just listening to you, at how you explain them, and I think to myself "exactly, that's exactly it".

Sage

Jewel

Alissa said:
I'm so sorry for not getting to this reply sooner! :D

Just as you said Jewel (you know more than you think!), the throat governs communication, and the third eye chakra governs awakening of spiritual and psychic awareness/abilities.

This is someone who uses their words and their psychic gifts to reach and open to the Universal. It's a visionary Faery (not a "helper" Fae). He makes you see things, and then makes you want to tell others of the Phantastic and Phabulous Everything you saw that makes up this world, and the other worlds.

Sure the Faun can sing... probably sings the music of the crystal spheres! His throat is *communicating* and vibrations make up music! This Fae is one that is "humming" with his own energy.

Thanks for responding. And thanks for the reassurance about the chakra meanings. From time to time I will have to tap into your wisdom on these as they come up.

I could not help bit giggle when I read those two parragraphs I left in the quote above, one because they resonate with me, and second I started wondering if the Faun was on Acid listening to Pink Floyd *LOL*.

I still have no clue what the Faun meant by his message "use it", but then again "using it" might be what helped me do the reading for you, and for the work I am doing with Geministar ... things that make me go hmmmmmmmmm.

I just love this deck, I love the faeries, and love my study group partners. Lets sing shall we .....

qwaychou

I wonder why my first impressions of these cards are su much... less intuitive than everyone else's. Its like I'm stuck on the physical images and I can't quite connect with the wisdom or feelings of them.

Anyway, this card is no exception. It looks like a Singer to me, feels like a person. Such a forward gaze, all senses on alert, ears perked.
The Glaconer tries to look like the Faun.