Good First Deck for a Beginner?

journeyinghome

Lots of excellent advice and suggestions. But, no one has said it yet, so I shall -THOTH!! I started with an original RWS and absolutely hated it. Once I found the Thoth, that's when I began to learn. I do now love many RWS based decks, but the Thoth was the one that got me started.

Personally, I found the Shadowscapes way too busy. The Sharman Caselli is a nice one, as already suggested. I've gifted that to friends who are new to tarot. Although the pink backs are a little weird! The Fenestra is another good one. And, I know I'll be laughed at for this, but the Gummy Bear is worth a look too. So there you have my suggestions, from the sublime to the ridiculous! ;)

GryffinSong

The Gummy Bear reminds me. For the RWS, I actually have the Ator Tarot on my iPad as an app. I LOVE it!!! When I want a simply RWS reading, I enjoy using it. I'm so familiar with the RWS that the Ator gives me everything I need, and adds in a smile for good measure. :) For those who don't know it, its a sweet cartoon version of the RWS, drawn by the same fellow who did the Prairie Tarot. It is simply awesome!

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/ator/

Aivli

I'd definitely say go with a deck (or decks -yes you CAN have more than one) that you feel drawn to the art. For myself, I have found that if I don't connect with the art in some way I have a more difficult time. I have never been drawn to the original RWS deck, it just doesn't do anything for me. The art needs to inspire me, which inspires my intuition and imagination. I have Shadowscapes both the physical deck and the ipad app and love it! I also have the Tarot of Trees Deck and app, the Hudes Tarot deck, the Celtic Wisdom Tarot deck, the Ator Tarot app, the Mythic Tarot app, the Mystic Dreamer Tarot app, and the Beginners Guide to Tarot app featuring the Sharman-Caselli deck which I find beautiful and extremely helpful. All of these have very different styles of artwork, and I was drawn to all of them, and connect with them in some way. There are so many beautiful decks out there, but If I don't feel that certain pull... that "kindred spirit" to the art... then I have an even more difficult time trying to work with it... even if it is deemed a "beginner's deck", or a"more difficult deck" or "intermediate/advanced deck". Hope that makes sense...

Holly doll

Totally agree with most of the posters!

Pick a deck that "jumps" out at you & that is clear & concise. I have the Shadowscapes & love it - both for reading & study; but it can be a little cluttered. Maybe think about something with clear symbols & less "clutter" - RWS is great.

Witches Tarot (Dugan) has already been suggested by others & is a good go-to deck with clear & easy to read symbols & beautiful artwork. Surf the AT Deck section & read the reviews of the decks you feel drawn to - ease of use, clarity etc. - you'll see a deck - or 20 *smile* - that you'll love. Once you start checking them out or buying them; it's hard to say "enough"... I know I shouldn't... but can't resist going to that section of the site!

Rượu Ngọc

Some may disagree, but I do believe that the decks choose their owners - we don't actually choose them as we think :D Just choose a deck that you fell in love with at the first sight :p As a newbie, you would need much feeling, emotion and connection with the deck, so you'd better get a deck that you're interested in and wanna spend much good time with.

I'm a newbie using Shadowscapes as my first tarot deck, too (just bought it about 2 months ago), and I find that it doesn't seem to be as hard for a newbie to understand as many people say. In fact, I think the cards are very attractive and have many details on them, and you can easily feel them to read the meanings.

If you love a deck, just get it :)

La Force

Lots of great suggestions have been mentioned.

Speaking from a just recent experience. I wanted a deck that was easy for me to read with, modern, basic symbolism, etc. Well I got it the Book of Shadows Vol. II (so below) At first I was really connected to it, then mixed feeling came, then it went downhill. There was not enough meat to it in the end. If my eye caputured the pot on the stove, how was I going to interprate that, ohh your cooking, or smoking....... Any ways, then I went shopping for a deck for my daughter, got the deck she liked. While I was there I did a spontanious purchase of the Hidden Realms Tarot. So you know I'm far from liking fairies, I'm not the fairies kind of person. So this really was out of range. Then afterwards it dawned on me while loking at the cards, that my great grandmother was a Fey pegan. I feel that I was being guided, in the end. I have my great grandmothers book of shadows and another book I love share here on At, I just wouldnt know where in forum to post some of her writtings.

So go with that in mind, be prepared for anything. Even if you like it at first, you'll want back up, if the deck wears off, lose interest, or stops talking, or starts to play games with you.

Briar Rose

I'd like to add that a RWS based deck, or the Pamela Coleman Smith commemorative, the radiant tarot is best to learn on. This way you can learn all the symbols, and depictions on the cards. RWS is what mostly all decks are based on.

Don't let the intense art stop you from buying Shadowscapes. It's really easy to read with once you know the symbols. And it reads well. I love it.

KristinCali

Oh man, I simply don't understand the craze over Shadowscapes. It did nothing for me and I think the cards are too busy and similar looking for a beginner. Just my opinion! My first deck was Mystic Dreamer and I absolutely recommend that one or a beginner.

Also, all the decks that CELTICNOODLE posted!

Electric Maenad

Beginner deck suggestions

My first deck was the Morgan-Greer, and I'd probably recommend it again for a beginner. It's really user-friendly and doesn't get carried away with fiddly details and piles of astrological / qabalistic correspondences. The International Icon Tarot looks like a good starter deck too. Thoth-based decks are a bit of a pain in the ass to learn at first, because you end up having to read a lot of Crowley, who wasn't particularly interested in being user-friendly.

Gulliver

For beginners who would like to start with a Tarot de Marseille, I would highly recommend the CBD TdM.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/cbd-marseille/

TdMs are not thought for divinatory purposes originally. But this one is a bond between the most common TdM (Conver) and divinatory purposes. It's wonderful.