Correspondence courses?

Astraea

Our posts crossed...

Unless Robert Blaschke has become a born-again-style Christian, I am inclined to believe that the words "Christ-centered" refer to the Christ spirit, rather than to the man, Jesus. Nevertheless, you need to feel comfortable with any course commitment you make, and if the Christ-centered concept is bothersome, the course is probably not for you. The website doesn't appear to specify that the course is for intermediate or advanced students, but that is probably a moot point (given the first consideration). If you feel pulled to the course on any level, an e-mail to him wouldn't hurt, as my impression from the wording on the website is that he wants to provide details on a more one-to-one basis.

All right, then -- it looks like Carole Devine, Robert Mulligan or Canopus, so far. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you to find exactly the course that is right for you!

CrystalRainbow

canopus

Hi :)

I would recommend Canopus. I started the Canopus course and it was brilliant. I was able to meet Linda, Scott and Jo whilst doing the course, they are all great people.

My mother was fortunate enough to live in the same town as Linda and was able to study one-on-one with her.

Personally, I need to study with the teacher in front of me. I found studying on-line quite tough. But that is just me. Now that I am once again living near my mother (and she can help me) I am tossing up whether or not to give it another go.

The staff at Canopus are extremely supportive and knowledgeable.

Follow your instincts .... do what is right for you.

Crystal Rainbow

Lee

I've found a new correspondence course. All this searching is fun! :D I hope I'm not driving everyone crazy.

I'm not sure I would go for this one, it seems a little outside the mainstream. It involves a branch of astrology called the Huber school, which I had not heard of until today. The Hubers run a school out of Switzerland called API, and it has an English school too. Here is the website of the English school:

http://www.api-uk.org/

If you go to "Enrolment," they have a course prospectus which gives details on the courses, unfortunately you have to read it in Adobe Acrobat, which is really annoyingly slow with my dial-up connection, but it is interesting.

The prices are hard to find on the site but are contained in the dowloadable enrollment forms. They are as follows: Basic course, 140 pounds; Intermediate, 100 pounds; chart calculation, 120 pounds; and their advanced Diploma course, 800 pounds, for a total of 1160 pounds or $1870 in U.S. dollars.

Their approach seems to be extremely psychological. Also, apparently how they set up the chart is different than in "mainstream" modern astrology, although they don't get specific about this on their site. I found this, which describes their system a little bit:

http://home.online.no/~kafox/Huber.html

Does anyone have any knowledge of or opinions about the Huber method? Apparently, according to this last site, it's quite popular in Europe.

-- Lee

Astraea

Huber School

Yes, the Huber system is quite popular in Europe, but its appreciation is not limited to those shores. The method is well established and grounded in traditional astrological calculations, which serve as jumping-off points for particular techniques devised by Louise and Bruno Huber. The Huber system is psychologically oriented; the Hubers were students of the late psychologist, Robert Assagioli, the father of psychosynthesis (himself a student of the Alice Bailey material). I think that this is definitely worth looking into, Lee.

There are so many opportunities for study these days, and I'm glad that you are taking your time and seeing what feels right for you before deciding which course to pursue. Yes, it is fun to explore what is on offer and to do the research! As for your statement that you hope you're not driving people crazy -- far from it! It is very enjoyable to read your posts and your enthusiasm is contagious. :)

Lee

Thanks Holmes, that's an interesting school. Unfortunately, from what I can tell from the school's website quoted in the article, they don't have correspondence courses; students must attend the classes at the school's location in Florida. I'm in Arizona, so it would be a bit of a commute for me. :)

The Huber method is intriguing me more and more. Bruno's book "Astrological Psychosynthesis" is out of print, but I ordered a used copy from Amazon. I think reading that will give me more of an idea of whether I want to go that route. It's a big decision because not only would I be deciding on a correspondence course, but also to committing to a particular branch of astrology, which is kind of hard to do without knowing more about it.

Here's a site which has some more detail about the Huber approach, particularly their method of looking at a person's life through time. They don't use progressions or transits; instead, the natal chart is looked at as a "life clock," with the years progressing around the chart in a counterclockwise movement, and the different houses serving as phases of life. I'd be curious to know if this is similar to anything used in "mainstream" astrology, or if this is something used exclusively by the Huber school. I do remember being in a bookstore and looking at a book by A.T. Mann which described something similar, I think.

http://www.annabelburton.com/deepastro_lifeclock_ageprog.htm

-- Lee

Astraea

Hubers, Mann

Lee -- I didn't realize that you are in Arizona. A school of astrology in Scttsdale is actually accredited by the state now -- the web address is www.astroinstitute.org. I'm having trouble with my IE connection right now and some sites (including that one) won't load, so I can't tell you if there's a correspondence arm associated with the school, but it's certainly worth looking into!

To my knowledge, the Huber Lifeclock progression method is not used in other schools. I experimented with it years ago, and did not find it to be any more accurate than progressions and transits. Tad Mann's Lifetime Progression technique is very different, and works beautifully, but he does not have a school -- his classes are limited to personal appearances at workshops and tapes. He is one of the finest astrologers -- and minds -- on the planet, in my opinion. His books, Lifetime Astrology and The Round Art (which was recently reprinted) describe his methods.

Lee

Thanks, Astraea, you're a veritable fount of information! :)

I wasn't able to get that astroinstitute site to load either.

Crystal Rainbow, that's a great listing, thanks! I have to rely on correspondence classes, though, I can't actually go to an astrologer for lessons, because of my schedule, and also because I don't drive (raised in New York City and never learned!). There was one in my town, Sedona, but he teaches Vedic astrology, and I'm having a tough enough time choosing between different aspects of Western astrology! :D

-- Lee

Astraea

Scottsdale school, Kepler

Hi, Lee. I have just learned that the founder and president of the Astrological Institute in Scottsdale (Joyce Jensen) has died, which is no doubt why the site is inaccessible.

You might want to have a look at Kepler College of Astrological Arts and Sciences, the first nationally accredited 4-year astrological college in the US, whose program leads to a BA degree. The faculty is comprised of leading astrologers the world over (Robert Hand, Nick Campion, Philip Sedgwick and many others). I know that you stated earlier that an on-line course is not an option for you, but it might still be worthwhile to investigate Kepler -- it offers many options and plans for distant study, and there might be a way for you to work within your preferences, and Kepler's structure. The website is: http://www.kepler.edu/index.html