Lillie

Hi.

I was looking at the 8 cups.

And the sun/moon thing bugged me.

What is it?

The sun?
The Moon?
Both, like an eclipse?
Or that time sometimes at the new moon when you can see the outline of the whole thing?

If it is an eclipse then it is annular rather than total...

I don't know...
Am I worrying too much about one little thing?

Fulgour

ihcoyc said:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...-Earthshine.png

This is a drawing of earthshine illuminating the dark area of the crescent moon that was originally made by Leonardo da Vinci. From Wikipedia.

There's another good picture of Earthshine from NASA here; this one was taken in the Pyrenees:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020419.html

...Earthshine: the disc of the moon is not invisible, but is faintly illuminated by light reflected from the earth, and that's where the man in the moon face appears.
ihcoyc's (ikky-ocks) quote works for me, but maybe we're going
to hear that this is the pudnockle quadraphink of zipdot Q-balla,
or the ribald brandishment of AEW looming upon an adroit splunk.

Lillie

Yeah!

Earth shine.
That was what I meant when I said about at new moon thingy.
Old moon in the young moons arms.
Pretty phrase.

OK,
It's that then.

Cool.

One more thing crossed off my list of things to fret about...

Why though?

Why that on that card?
What does it mean?

OK. Old moon and young moon. both, together.
And he is turning away from the over turned cups.
Turning away from the old to the new?
But he don't seem happy, or like he's looking forward, or anything.
Yeah...
Like the new moon can't leave the old behind, it's still there, visible.

Yay!
Sussed it.
Brilliant

Fulgour

Red Boots made for Walkin'

In the rows of Cups there's an empty space...
it would be symetrical if a Cup were there but
as you see, the wanderer has decided to travel.

To me that says: to not be PIGEONHOLED. ;)

What gets me is that outfit! Very RED altogether
if you know what I mean (tastefully done though).

RChMI

The celestial figure in the the sky is the Moon in aspect of Cresent and Full phase, as opposed to Hierosgamos of conjoined Sun/Moon. It is a pictorial reference to the zodiacal attribution to the card by that of resemblence to XVIII The Moon, which is attributed to Pisces. The human figure is a characterization of Father Time, which is reference to Saturn. Combined, these images give the pictorial clue as to the card's astrological decante attribution, that of Saturn in Pisces.

The aspect of the human figure walking away from the asymetrical/unfinished stacking of the cups, is in reference to Mathers' description of the card as to its Esoteric Title... Lord of Abandoned Success.

Fulgour

she was quite a gal

:) Here's something FUN & EASY to do....

VIII CUPS

Look at the Numeral at the Top of the Card
and notice that the V is open at the top!

Check all of Pam's other VIII numerals at see
that she never does this on any other card!

"Lord of Abandonned Success"
or ~ "Mistress of Art" :)

Lillie

Oooo!!!!

You have looked close!

Fancy that!

Maybe it's the missing cup from the cup stacks!

Also, curiously, it's Crowley name is 'Lord of Indolence'.
And on one of the early publishings of the Thoth deck, the 8 at the top of the card was missed off altogether.
And, whenever it is mentioned, someone will always say that it is an example of 'indolence', leaving it out!

Now, that VIII at the top of the RWS, it has the top line missing, like she abandoned the card just before it was finished.

Wierd or what?

He is red, isn't he.

I have to say I have only just looked at the RWS card.
What happened was that I was looking at the Morgan Greer, and I saw the moon on that, and remembered it was the same on the RWS. (and it being like that on both made me wonder why)
But, until you said, I had thought the guy was wearing black.
I think with that I was getting it mixed up with the 5.

See?
Indolence!
I couldn't be bothered to check, I just assumed I remembered the card right, even though I hardly use the RWS!

Rosanne

Apart from the eclipse angle, could not the Moon over the sun be seen as 'disillusion' or there are no illusions and you should see things at face value (the full face of the moon etc?)As to that very red blob of a coat/cloak...well red is the alchemic colour of the sun; it is also the colour of love, martyrs,and the great sun god Baal!. Thats it!- it is the Magician and he has nicked a cup for his table - its under his cloak :D Eight the number of the lemniscate which is implied in the eight cups. I can go around in circles all day with these cards and end up anywhere. I am fascinated how Pamela knew about the America's Cup and the red socks campaign that New Zealand had!! We called our boat KZ 7 -must have thought the Magician was going to nick two cups! ;) ~Rosanne

Feretian

8 of cups

Lillie said:
Yeah!

Earth shine.

Old moon in the young moons arms.

Why though?

Why that on that card?
What does it mean?

OK. Old moon and young moon. both, together.
And he is turning away from the over turned cups.
Turning away from the old to the new?
But he don't seem happy, or like he's looking forward, or anything.
Yeah...
Like the new moon can't leave the old behind, it's still there, visible.

But the image is an old, old moon...the last crescent before it disappears into the sun. This is the last night that moon will ever be seen. It will emerge on the other side as the new moon.
Is this his final chance to fill that empty space he leaves behind in the cups?

willowfox

The 8 cups shows a total eclipse of the Sun, that is why the sky looks dark. It is a time of a new beginning for the guy in red, the past has been eclipsed and only a new future is available.