Le Tarot Noir - Imagérie médiévale populaire

karen0205

Is trimming it not an option?

Patrick Booker

Not for me - I'd ruin it. The option of spreading out the cards and choosing at random quite appeals to me.

Patrick

Le Fanu

Agviz, i've been doing the 'vegas' thing of fanning it out in a long line and then randomly picking.

Can others comment, is this one of the only marseille decks that's this large? It's funny, but for a newbie, the larger canvas of the pips really really helps me both in seeing their details, and for whatever reason it's like i'm able to just take a deep exhale and look more leisurely w/out freaking out, wands or swords, flower petals turned inward or out. It's kind of like a sigh....ahhhhhh.
I don't know of any quite this large.

I think what makes this deck unique (there are many factors but what really stands out for me) is the use of space. I refer to the 80s Maddonni deck in my review - a deck which it has become fashionable to mock! - but it has that same use of emptiness. A sort of meditative blankness which really gives character and mood to the deck. This, coupled with these doleful, mournful eyes of the characters give it a very melancholy atmosphere.

It's as if there is space to really read, like you say, take a deep breath and be able to take it all in and reflect.

Timming would ruin it. There's nothing wrong with just fanning out I think - letting people choose. To trim would interfere with all that glorious emptiness, not to mention eliminate the gilt edging.

Patrick Booker

I meant that I lack the skills to successfully trim a deck, but on reflection I agree with Le Fanu - it would not be an improvement.

It is the width that makes them difficult to shuffle - I have a number of decks with longer cards. Both Jean Beauchard's decks (Masonic Tarot, Tarot of the Alchemists), and the Roerich Tarot, for instance.

My own procedure with an unused deck is based on idea from R. J. Stewart - I lay the deck out in three rows of seven, repeating the procedure until all the cards are in stacks. I then gather up the twenty one stacks and proceed to shuffle again. This has acquired something of a ritual significance for me.

Patrick

rylla

Got it - love it!

Bonnie

Le Tarot Noir

I just received this deck, and am so in love with it! As others have noted, there is a slight problem with the binding of the companion book, which to me is nothing. The presentation of the book and deck, and the lovely box they come in, is outstanding!

I do like the Marseilles style, and am looking forward to working with it. The full color companion book, with full page images, the gilt edge on the cards, the well constructed lift-top box that they came in - superior quality!

Kudos to Justine Ternel and Matthew Hackiere!

greatdane

Really enjoyed Le Fanu's blog on this deck!

Love the scans and all the information you always give, Le FM, in your My Curious Cabinet.

I have just one more word to add...ENABLER! :)

garmonbozia

I got one of these for a good price from a French seller on abebooks, if anyone else is looking for one.

Chrystella

I want this deck so badly! I love Marseille decks and this one looks beautiful and interesting. It's a bit pricey for me in Oz with the conversation rates so I'm putting it on hold for a while (let's see how long I am able to resist).

Sigrdrifa

Received mine this weekend, love it! My first Marseille deck. I see all the pips have their number mentioned in roman numerals, except for the coin/pentacle cards. Is this regular in Marseille decks, done on purpose in this specific deck or a mistake? Edit: I can't find anything about it in the book (as far as my French goes anyway).