Psychedelic Rider-Waite cards

nisaba

<looks at link>

I see the world like that much of the time, and I'm still pretty functional. Though, when all my peripheral vision is filled in with that challenging shade of pink, I'll be the first to check myself into a psychiatric unit. I was never fond of pink, and looking at that link, I feel quite justified <cackle>.

DeToX

Good to view for entertainment value, but otherwise it's a themed deck that I would never want to use or buy personally.

Zephyros

As a work of art, this is impeccable. As a Tarot deck... well, the problem is that it doesn't mean anything. I can't see it as anything other than an RWS, because the psychedelic effects weren't made with symbolism in mind. It would be one thing if he inserted a personal statement there, but it seems it was done just as a lark, to see how cool it would be. Don't get me wrong, it is indeed very cool, but that's just about all it is.

tarotbear

As a work of art, this is impeccable. As a Tarot deck... well, the problem is that it doesn't mean anything. I can't see it as anything other than an RWS, because the psychedelic effects weren't made with symbolism in mind.

I don't like to diss other people's decks - because I'm sure they'll do to same to mine - but I have to agree, closrapexa. Other than a lot of boobies all it is is another RWS clone once you get past the psychedelic stuff (I don't like that fact that no one has a head). If the artist had - as you said - 'inserted a personal statement' by using 60s drug-induced rock musicians like Jimi Hendrix or Janis Joplin - even Nixon, anti-Viet Nam stuff - and made it a 'Haight-Ashbury we-were-so-stoned back then' tribute to Peter Maxx - that might support just what the inspiration for this deck is.

Just my two cents ....

"We All Live in a Yellow Submarine ..." :)

Laura Borealis

As a work of art, this is impeccable. As a Tarot deck... well, the problem is that it doesn't mean anything. I can't see it as anything other than an RWS, because the psychedelic effects weren't made with symbolism in mind. It would be one thing if he inserted a personal statement there, but it seems it was done just as a lark, to see how cool it would be. Don't get me wrong, it is indeed very cool, but that's just about all it is.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment. I watched on Tumblr as he completed the majors card by card, and it seemed with each one, what he was doing was re-creating the original in his own style. I think there is symbolism, but it's his own personal symbols (the eyes and the melting forms crop up constantly in his work, and seem to mean something to him, but what I don't know). I see it as an art deck, and a tribute to Pamela.

Pamela IS an influence on his work, from what I can tell. Just look at the album cover he did for the Flaming Lips' recent Beatles tribute album. It's the Lovers card with the Fool's dog thrown in (twice) for good measure.

Hibert's deck reminds me a lot of the Hoi Polloi, actually - and you could make a case that the Hoi Polloi's art doesn't add anything symbolic, or anything of real substance - it's just a RWS recreated in a 60s style, reminiscent of Peter Max and similar artists. Yet people do read with the Hoi Polloi and find depth in it.

Attachments

• Flaming Lips album cover.jpg
    Flaming Lips album cover.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 121

starlightexp

I love this take on the cards. I want posters !

Laura Borealis

It's available for pre-order now from Von Zos. Two editions, a standard and deluxe. Both come with "a book featuring an introductory essay by Oliver Hibert and a substantial essay by Caroline Wise exploring the life, influences and legacy of Pamela Coleman Smith. The book also contains the publication of a previously unseen Pamela Coleman Smith painting."

Standard http://www.landofzos.com/product/the-major-arcana-by-oliver-hibert-standard/
Deluxe http://www.landofzos.com/product/the-major-arcana-by-oliver-hibert-deluxe/

A previously unseen Pamela Colman Smith painting? :confused:

I'm going to have to think about this one... the price for the standard isn't that high, considering, but there are so many decks I want right now.

(Yes, I noticed they spelled Colman wrong)

donnalee

I don't like to diss other people's decks - because I'm sure they'll do to same to mine - but I have to agree, closrapexa. Other than a lot of boobies all it is is another RWS clone once you get past the psychedelic stuff (I don't like that fact that no one has a head). If the artist had - as you said - 'inserted a personal statement' by using 60s drug-induced rock musicians like Jimi Hendrix or Janis Joplin - even Nixon, anti-Viet Nam stuff - and made it a 'Haight-Ashbury we-were-so-stoned back then' tribute to Peter Maxx - that might support just what the inspiration for this deck is.

Just my two cents ....

"We All Live in a Yellow Submarine ..." :)

I would like to have seen more heads and the same amount of bright colours, and no preference on boobies really, if it were to be done: Peter Max, YEAH--a derivative which might feel like a younger person copying that style vaguely which evokes the ick term "hipster", not for me, thanks. We could get Roger Dean of the Yes album covers fame to do a deck--hmmm....

tarotbear

:bugeyed: $50!!!:bugeyed:

I wouldn't pay $5 for it in a tag sale!

I would like to read the book - but I don't want to buy the deck to do it...

starlightexp

I had to bite. I love this style of art. I love when an artist has a distinct style. Much like my love for the Daniloff or the Tabula Mundi. There is nothing new here to tell but the work put into the art is well worth it. It's over the top enough for me to just want to have it for the sake of having it. $50... it's a bit on the high end for a Majors deck but being an artist I know one has to somehow make the money back for the for the time and supplies put into the deck. the cards are large 8.5x 5.5 so they will look amazing framed and I'm paying less then $2.00 per card so that's not a boat load of money there when broken down.