Steam Punk Tarot

Nineveh

I like Moore's steampunk tarot, but I like Moore books in general. The imagery is nice, simple to read and adds a few twists to the usual Rider-Waite imagery.

Thanks! I havn't read many of the tarot books other than a brief read on the RW deck. You've inspired me to read more of them...when I get the chance. ☺

feynrir

A friend of mine read for me with her love-scarred copy of Barbara Moore and Aly Fell's Steampunk Tarot a long time ago, and I absolutely loved it :love: I even loved the way that it looked as a more worn out copy of the deck, haha. It's nice CGI artwork with just the right amount of detail, and it also is reminiscent enough of traditional art to where I feel it's got some real heart.

And for me, I loved seeing a deck where a lot of the characters were women dressed on the more masculine side of the spectrum. The deck's pretty standout in that area :)

Nineveh

A friend of mine read for me with her love-scarred copy of Barbara Moore and Aly Fell's Steampunk Tarot a long time ago, and I absolutely loved it :love: I even loved the way that it looked as a more worn out copy of the deck, haha. It's nice CGI artwork with just the right amount of detail, and it also is reminiscent enough of traditional art to where I feel it's got some real heart.

And for me, I loved seeing a deck where a lot of the characters were women dressed on the more masculine side of the spectrum. The deck's pretty standout in that area :)

Yes, so far I'm reading that the deck is pretty accurate. In addition to this site a read a review on a Wal-Mart website (Wal-Mart selling tarot.what is the world coming to?)where a reviewer mentioned that thd deck was pretty acvurate.

The art work is really soothing from what I've seen thus far.

Thanks!

silvereye

I just received mine and loving it so far too!

Joshua

Thanks! I havn't read many of the tarot books other than a brief read on the RW deck. You've inspired me to read more of them...when I get the chance. ☺
I enjoyed her book on spreads. It went into designing and using spreads. She's good at covering things at a simple level while also going into depth.

Le Fanu

I wonder about this theme, I really do. I feel that Steampunk is the most half-hearted of all tarot themes.

I hear deck creators in the background sighing. Ok, go on then, another theme. I'll give it a go.

I think fairy decks have more passion, as a rule.

I quite liked that unhinged etsy one. Clarissa something (Drengson?) Sort of botched collaging with a bit of pop art. I like the Matthews one but I have to admit I think it is really really really really difficult. The suits throw me completely and the imagery just feels too out there for me, much as I like it. I like to think I'm creative with my tarot interpretations and I love those non-RWS decks but where on earth does one start with this one? I also have the app so I can switch the cards and see what they're supposed to mean and even then it involves a bit of head- scratching.

I wonder about that bandwagon Liz Dean one. It feels more minimalist than the others and if you threw the box away nobody would ever need know that it was trying to do Steampunk. I think that it might work well as a Majors only deck. I almost bought it the other week, but something else distracted me, can't remember what. Perhaps chocolate.

Alea

I find BM's version very much aesthetically pleasing, old meets the new, modern technology meeting with antiquity of the past... Heaven in my eyes!
I have searched up the Matthews' version and I've searched most of the scans of BM's version of the theme. I find that the BM's version is much more old, antique-like and more sepia/dark in terms of artwork, there are a few scenes where it is bright, but nothing comes to mind at the moment, even the Sun card is more sepia, than light and bright.
Now for reading, it closely resembles the RWS symbolism and tradition, so i'm sure it won't be so hard for a beginner or intermediate to read with.
Whereas the Matthews version is... well, agreeably, much difficult to read with. Most of the minor cards are filled with machinery and only rarely does it have any humans in it. Also, in my opinion, it holds more on machinery, and said machinery is more "Advanced" than the other one, it's more shiny, new, bright, like the people of that time in the "future" BASED their generation, their clothing, their culture, on the steampunk genre, but with a more modern twist (hence the shiny, not antique looking machines).

Steampunk by BM: Sepia/Dark and more RWS traditional.
Steampunk by Matthews: Bright/Shiny and more difficult to read unless you spend enough time with it.
It's now a matter of what people would find more of a "connection" with, both of these decks are awesome and really insightful in their own ways,
I've seen the other two Steampunk decks and really had no interest in them.

Well, that's my own opinion of it. :) I've already ordered both.
lol, kinda rambly and disorganized. Sorry.

Nineveh

Yeah, I think the Matthews artwork is too busy and a bit too much "bam!"for me. Thanks.

I wonder about this theme, I really do. I feel that Steampunk is the most half-hearted of all tarot themes.

I hear deck creators in the background sighing. Ok, go on then, another theme. I'll give it a go.

I think fairy decks have more passion, as a rule.

I quite liked that unhinged etsy one. Clarissa something (Drengson?) Sort of botched collaging with a bit of pop art. I like the Matthews one but I have to admit I think it is really really really really difficult. The suits throw me completely and the imagery just feels too out there for me, much as I like it. I like to think I'm creative with my tarot interpretations and I love those non-RWS decks but where on earth does one start with this one? I also have the app so I can switch the cards and see what they're supposed to mean and even then it involves a bit of head- scratching.

I wonder about that bandwagon Liz Dean one. It feels more minimalist than the others and if you threw the box away nobody would ever need know that it was trying to do Steampunk. I think that it might work well as a Majors only deck. I almost bought it the other week, but something else distracted me, can't remember what. Perhaps chocolate.

Nineveh

Yeah, I agree with your take on Moore vs. Matthews artwork. I fnd the Moorr to be a bit soothing wheteas I think I would developa headache with Matthews. Thanks.

I find BM's version very much aesthetically pleasing, old meets the new, modern technology meeting with antiquity of the past... Heaven in my eyes!
I have searched up the Matthews' version and I've searched most of the scans of BM's version of the theme. I find that the BM's version is much more old, antique-like and more sepia/dark in terms of artwork, there are a few scenes where it is bright, but nothing comes to mind at the moment, even the Sun card is more sepia, than light and bright.
Now for reading, it closely resembles the RWS symbolism and tradition, so i'm sure it won't be so hard for a beginner or intermediate to read with.
Whereas the Matthews version is... well, agreeably, much difficult to read with. Most of the minor cards are filled with machinery and only rarely does it have any humans in it. Also, in my opinion, it holds more on machinery, and said machinery is more "Advanced" than the other one, it's more shiny, new, bright, like the people of that time in the "future" BASED their generation, their clothing, their culture, on the steampunk genre, but with a more modern twist (hence the shiny, not antique looking machines).

Steampunk by BM: Sepia/Dark and more RWS traditional.
Steampunk by Matthews: Bright/Shiny and more difficult to read unless you spend enough time with it.
It's now a matter of what people would find more of a "connection" with, both of these decks are awesome and really insightful in their own ways,
I've seen the other two Steampunk decks and really had no interest in them.

Well, that's my own opinion of it. :) I've already ordered both.
lol, kinda rambly and disorganized. Sorry.

3ill.yazi

I don't see how the other two can even be called steampunk. Though the joke is these days everything on etsy is steampunk.

Another vote for the Moore.