Steam Punk Tarot

BrownBear

Until Tarot just resurfaced in my life a little over a year ago, I had never heard the term 'Steampunk'. None of my non-tarot friends have heard of it either. Maybe it's because we live in the sticks.

I just don't get the whole concept....

Steampunk came from a sub genre of fantasy fiction and science fiction. It's been a hugely popular genre for about ten years. Check out the early novels of China Meiville.

The concept (in a nutshell; I'm not an expert) is that the internal combustion engine was never invented, so modern devices are all based on the steam engine. Even spaceships will run on steam. It often has a Victorian England flavor because of the steam technology.

kell

Thanks, Brown Bear...10 years...jeesh, I really am behind the times. But I don't follow science fiction, so maybe that's my excuse:)

Actually unwrapped the Ally Fell/Barbara Moore Steampunk that's been sitting around for awhile. The urge to work with it hadn't hit me yet, but I bought it because of all the rave reviews. Some of the cards are striking, and still reading the book, but it's intriguing. However, steampunk won't replace my faery themed decks :)

feynrir

Love at first sight: my favorite deck now.

Thought it worth posting here that I bought the Moore/Fell Steampunk deck recently after over a year of waffling about it. I thought Steampunk was too "Dungeons & Dragons" for me, you know? Too nerdy and niche for me to really connect with the deck. But I loved the artwork the first time I saw it, so I figured it was about time I stopped thinking about it and bought the damned thing.

(For the record, I have been a part of a D&D campaign and play Pokémon and Magic TCG, so I'm probably a little nerdier than I'd like to admit...haha. Steampunk just wasn't on my radar, if you get me.)

Honestly, as soon as I held it in my hands I knew it was "The One."

It reads for me as easily and clearly as my Anna K and Deviant Moon decks (my two previous favorites), and the beauty of the artwork just blows me away--whether the sepia-tone is an easy-way-out design effect or not. The companion book is one of Moore's best as well, certainly better than Shadowscapes. Truly awesome, and reads too easy to be true.

Probably has to do with the practically-cloned RWSness of it, but either way, I love it :D It's a matter of connection, I guess. There's my two cents!