"Tarot of Besancon" by Blanche and Milanese Tarot by Gumppenberg in Miike Museum

Cerulean

Stylistically the color palette of Milanese

Tarocchi also follows the design category of the tarot selling as Ancient Tarots of Bologna and is somewhat cruder than the Tarocchi di Gumppenberg of 1830.

I'll post links when I can of the 1830.

Di Gumppenberg's bits and pieces are hard to collect from the
Il Solloene, Di Vecchi and the book from Lo Scarabeo, but I will do my best in a few weeks to gather, then translate simply if I can.

I had started, but there was no interest earlier. We'll see if I can do this around the early holidays in September.

Thanks!

Cerulean Mari

Cerulean

Di Gumppenberg biographical notes

From the Trade Sites of Milan from Il Solleone
Di Gumppenberg highlights - I notice Il Solleone prints the name as follows:

Ferdinando Gumppenberg

Born Jan 3, 1788 from Franco and Caterina Sala. It says born to Monaco of Baveria, Monoco being a city-state, Baveria being the country in 1788?

1805-1809--Apprenticed in the art of cards press (printers) in the important Fabbicante di Monaco

1809--Enlightenment, the Regia Fabbrica (regional maker?) of the cards transfers to Milan---I believe this is within Napoleon's reign, near the end.

Cerulean Mari's note: I also believe that one of the historical events that might have influenced the making of the Neoclassical of 1811 might have been the birth of Napoleon's son in March of 1811, known as the "King of Rome" and crowned with the Iron Crown of Lombardy.* (Di Gumppenberg did issue a later deck in celebration of Emporer Ferdinand)

1809-1814 Produces numerous original cards.

1810, 1811 "Tarocco Neoclassico Italiano," Milano - (Note Kaplan suggests 1806 or thereabouts in dating). My copy is reprinted in 1980 in an edition of 1,500.

1812 Marries Marianna Pohl

1814 Liquidation of the Regia Fabbrica di Milano.

Cerulean Mari's note: Possibly this means that the card-making is no longer controlled regionally or restricted or the designation from Napoleon's 'restriction' was lifted and now competition from other Milanese cardmakers

1814, July--Gumppenberg initiates activity near the Giardino (either the garden district?)

1816? I have to translate this note

1820 - note related to the bottega di Caffe in Borgo di Cittadella

1820 "Il Dilettevole Giuoco del Cucco,"41 cards, stamped 1820, to 1846. Il Solleone published 1,500 copies in 1981. (Cerulean has never seen this set).

1820-25--produces "Tarocco Vedute e Meistieri de Milano"...alternative name of Trade Sites of Milan Tarocco?
Il Solleone published 1000 copies in 1982.

1825 --Printer negotiates in Corsia del Giadino "sono in vendita anche biglietti della Lotteria"...

1835 (1830-45)--"Tarocchino Lombardo".

Il Solleone's note: engraved by Carlo Dellarocca around 1835, and then the Italian note"...dal Gumppenberg, dal Lamperti e altri in Milano e Lombardia"--note correction below on Lamperti note in 1847. Lamperti is his son-in-law.

Il Solleone published their version of the Dellarocca designs in in 1981 in a limited edition of 2,000. There is another version by Lo Scarabeo, I believe.

We know this title as the Tarocco Italiano Soprafino with engravings by Carlo della Rocca.

Given this information, the mysterious beautiful additions to the Dellarocca designs might have been innovations by Lamperti and Dellarocca?

1838-40 Produces "Tarocco Della Corona Ferrea"

Iron Crown of Lombardy Tarocco * from Edizioni del Solleone, reprinted 2,500 copies, 1979.

(Link is to Iron Crown of Lombardy summary that mentions Napoleon and Ferdinand.

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Iron-Crown-of-Lombardy

1847-He concedes the printmaking in general to Lattanzio Lamperti, the spouse of his daughter Paola.

Lamperti Tarocco sample:

http://www.wopc.co.uk/italy/lamperti.html

R. Somerville's old link to 22 card mignon Tarocco from Lo Scarabeo:

http://www.playingcardsales.co.uk/cards/frameitem.asp?catref=11351

1855- Dies after 67 years.

A quick translation. Any input appreciated, I'll correct later. Running back to work now...by the way, I thought of the Iron Crown of Lombardy as a beautiful allegorical metaphor woven into Italian and European tarocchi history and it's not escaped me this would be a fascinating historical theme for stories....so I'm still gathering references.

Regards

Cerulean

Fulgour

Thank You! :) A most productive lunch break indeed.

kenji

Splendid!!
Thanks so much, Mari!! :)
(And so sorry for this late gratitude...)