Symmetry in the 8 of Swords & 9 of Wands

firecatpickles

Has anyone ever noticed the symmetry or near mirror-image of the RWS 8 of Swords and the 9 of Wands?

What does this mean? Any thoughts?

KK

Brock Johnson

There are a lot of cards that I see that do this. You could say the same thing about the Justice card and the devil and the lovers and the high priestess. All are near symmetry but I don't think that they have anything to do with the meanings unless you get a feeling. Remember that the tarot works thorugh the way you read the cards and if you get the feeling that it is supposed to be read a certain way, read it that way :)

Brock

Sulis

Brock Johnson said:
You could say the same thing about the Justice card and the devil and the lovers and the high priestess. All are near symmetry but I don't think that they have anything to do with the meanings unless you get a feeling.

I have to disagree with you here Brock. The symetry in the Major Arcana cards (I'm presuming you mean the 2 pillars that appear in many cards and the 2 people in The Lovers and The Devil cards) definately do mean something.

The Lovers and The Devil are numerically equal (both are sixes) and as such can be read as 2 sides of the same coin. The Lovers card is about choice and The Devil card is about the illusion that there is no choice.
The 2 pillars in Justice, The High Priestess, The Hierophant and others are representative of many dualities - everything has it's opposite -the Universe is full of dualities and polarities.
Throughout the Major Arcana you will find them - and they do mean something...

As for the symetry in the 8 of Swords and the 9 of Wands - I've never noticed it before but now that you've pointed it out, I see it... Not sure if it's intentional (although I'd say it probably is) and not sure what it could mean.

I've scanned both cards together so that folk can compare.

Attachments

• 9 Wands 8 Swords.jpg
    9 Wands 8 Swords.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,123

Brock Johnson

I'm not saying that cards don't relate to other cards Sulis. I mean that the card itself kind of looks symmetrical. The Devil and Lovers for instance (I agree that they are related) have symmetry. The gender on each card is the only thing that prevents it from being perfect. Anyway, maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that you (kilts_knave) were wondering if there was a reason for the symmetry. I don't see any reason as stated before but there definitely is a lot of it.

Brock

firecatpickles

Perhaps symmetry is the wrong word choice (it would get the big red circle with the letters "WC" over it if you were grading for yourself, English teacher!). I thought of editing it and it must have slipped my mind :(

What is more approriate word choice is that these two seem to be mirror images of one another. One character is free to act but petulantly refuses to do so (Wands), and the other character strives to break the fetters of bondage in order to act (Swords).

This may the a point in the RWS elemental series where fire-wands cross over into "air" territory and the air-swords, "fire;" ergo the male character thinks of it as the female does it. (or tries to do it.)

Vehement proponents of the Pixie will prove that nothing of hers is unintentional. I remaine yet on the fence about 'it.

KK

Brock Johnson

Thank you for clarifying kilts_knave. I understand what you're talking about. I thought you meant individual cards but since you are talking about how some are similar to others, I have to agree and I have to also agree with Sulis that it probably wasn't a coincedence. I have no idea what it means but if you find out any info, please let us know.

Brock